VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Hello Dear All

It has been almost exactly two weeks since my last update - being back at work, and with students eager to book as many classes as they possibly can, leaves me with very limited time. In my last post I mentioned that I was going to continue with the lower planking as I still need to fabricate a new stand for that, I continued work on the upper wales and surroundings.

Build 273.jpg

First off the "luizenplecht" deck (the deck between the front of the forecastle and the galleon) was planked using 4mm Abachi planks.

Build 274.jpg

Now came a tricky part. As the wales that go above the luizenplecht deck, still need to follow the curvature of the forecastle, I made a template out of Balsa around which I could bend the planks into their correct shape and fix them temporarily until the glue dried.

After three planks were attached to the hull in this manner, it was time for the first coloured planks to go on, two x 2.5mm planks painted in yellow and glued on top of each other, and then a 6mm wide plank in red. the yellow was no problem, but I couldn't use the red that Kolderstok supplies with the Batavia. For the Batavia, the colour is perfect, but not for the Haarlem. I had to duplicate the "maroon" red as it appears on the City of Haarlem's Coat of Arms (see below).

Haarlem Crest.png

I obtained the exact colour code as per the Coat of Arms and the special red was mixed by a Chinese paint company called, "Botny". I did not want a water-based paint for painting the exterior wooden surfaces of the ship, so that was the second change that they had to make for me. While we were busy, I also had to address the green which is used on the Batavia replica. As the Haarlem would essentially have used the same green, it was important to get this shade right. Courtesy of Danny Mulders's build log, I knew the exact code of green as used on the replica of the Batavia and Botny also mixed the green for me to specs.

So this is what it looks like on the ship.

Build 275.jpg

Build 276.jpg

Build 277.jpg

To me the red looks like a fraction too dark, but it is a hell a lot of closer to what it should be than if I had simply used the red. The red line on the above picture, indicates how the wales will be trimmed once the front wall of the forecastle is in place.

This front wall would give me the opportunity to see how the green looks on the ship as it is mainly green while the two doors are painted in red. Then there are two "ladders" or "steps" (that run from the luizenplecht deck to the upper deck at the forecastle) that are painted black. These two ladders had to be scratch-built - as Hans jokingly said" "it will practice your fine cutting and carving skills"!

Yes, Hans - it did! Ten times to be exact!!! Redface

Build 283.jpg

Finally I had two samples that I thought worthy of not throwing away.

Build 284.jpg

All in all, I must say that I am very happy with the green colour. The light in my apartment is really not good, but based on the official press photographs of the Batavia replica and the real-life appearance of the green, we are very close.

Build 279.jpg

Planking from the inside.

Build 282.jpg

Front wall and doors are in place. (I will worry about the hinges and handles later).

Build 280.jpg

View of the curvature of the wales from the stern.

Build 281.jpg

And lastly, a note on the accuracy and precision of this kit. The top two lines on Bulkhead #18 indicate the exact position where the two uppermost wales must ideally be. After laying thirteen planks above the first wale, this was the result! Hats off Hans!

Now this whole exercise has to be repeated on the starboard side. It is quite obvious that I build slowly, but when I get to the result as shown in the last picture, it is all worth it.

Thank you so much for looking, reading and following. As always, your comments (and criticisms) are most appreciated. Until next time stay safe and healthy.

Kind regards - Heinrich

Hi Jan. Thank you for the kind words. I am very excited about the fact that you like the idea of building such a ship - I can highly recommend it! (If you need any help or assistance in this regard, just shout!) To me its not only about the ship, but also the quality of the kit. She's not easy, but if you do your bit, the outcome will be great.

@Brewbrarian Thank you for the kind words, Eric! The Batavia is a wonderful build. It was a difficult decision choosing between the Batavia and the Zeven Provincien, but I am very glad that I went for the Batavia. I can assure you, you will not be disappointed!

Hi Kurt - For sure, the starboard side will go quicker, but not because there were any problems on the port side - it's just a case of greater confidence now.

@frankieg Hi Frankie. This is great to hear from you and even better news that you are also a Batavia owner!!! Thumbs-Up I will be looking forward to the start of your build log. With regards to the planking - for sure, it is a daunting prospect and one that I am not nearly finished with. Rest assured that when you get to that stage of your build, I will share everything that I have picked up along the way - so don't worry too much.:)

Greetings fellow shipbuilders

This is not so much of an update - more a case of just sharing ...

With the forecastle wall more or less completed (save for the door handles and door hinges), and today being my off day, it was time to get some work done in the shipyard ...

WeChat Image_20200602031702.jpg

Yup ... you guessed it ... planking!

WeChat Image_20200603112928.jpg

I continued planking towards the keel, but with the time that I give the glue to dry, I could only lay 4 planks today (two on either side). Nevertheless, every little bit helps.

And then I just couldn't resist the temptation to see what the ship (more specifically the wood and colours) look like in natural light, so the Haarlem got her first taste of late afternoon Chinese sunshine and fresh air.

WeChat Image_20200603112913.jpg

WeChat Image_20200603112921.jpg

Tomorrow its back to my students and to work, so until next time: thank you all for following and for watching. Stay safe out there and keep healthy.

Kind regards - Heinrich

@zoly99sask Thank you Zoly. It's just going slowly, but eventually I should get there ... I hope ... :D

Back