VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Great to know it is with you expectation and satisfaction! It is a little project on it's own, and for sure will keep you busy with the size challenges. But at the end, you will be happy with results. Good luck. If you stumble across the Russian manual and has query, ping me and I will try to help.

@Clair G Hi Clair - I trust you are feeling better than yesterday. As soon as you have had a look at your yawl, you will feel much better - even though it looks like it might be quite a challenge.

Dear Friends

It has been a while since my last post due to a combination of work pressure, studying up on Naviga Rules, planning the next steps on the Haarlem and the actual execution thereof.

First, I wanted to start with the side galleries and decided to work - for the time being - only on the starboard side.

The components that make up the galleries are fragile and have great care has to be taken during its construction. Also - despite Mike's love of CA glue :D - I have an aversion to the stuff. BUT ... that means only one thing - long drying times.

Build 361.jpg

This is what the assembled frame of the gallery looks like - and painted in the Haarlem maroon (below)

Build 362.jpg

Now it was time to fit the gallery to the hull ... BUT ... to do that two double wales and the rear Spiegel (or stern assembly) have to be taken into account as the gallery needs to line up with a decorative strip that was placed underneath the stern assembly.

Build 363.jpg

Here is the side gallery glued to the hull. Obvious to see is the door that has been installed and which had to be planked with 3mm Abachi strips painted green. You will also notice on this pic that the underside of the gallery has been planked (using 4mm Abachi strips) and has been painted black. Looking through the gallery, you will notice that I have painted a portion of the hull black as part of the gallery remains open.Build 364.jpg

And then the planking of the gallery started with 4mm Abachi strips overlayed over one another.

Build 365.jpg

Planking completed on the side of the gallery. It is not nearly finished as there is still the section between the door and the stern assembly that needs to be done as well as the front of the gallery. Various yellow strips and other decorations are added to the gallery to complete the assembly, but that will be done at a later stage. As you can see on the picture above, the gallery fits in perfectly between the two wales so there was no need to remove some material as many other builders of the Batavia are sometimes forced to do. (When doing the hull planking - stick to the demarcated lines on the bulkheads!!!)

And talking about hull planking - now was the time to finish that!

Build 366.jpg

Done!

Some close-ups: The Stern (below):

Build 367.jpg

Aft Middle-Section

Build 369.jpg

Bow Middle Section

Build 368.jpg

And Bow

Build 370.jpg

And now it was time to get the sandpaper out and for the fun and games to start - but more on that a little later.

I am very pleased by our "gang" of friends who have formed of late and want to thank you all for the encouragement and support you give to another. This is great guys - keep it up. On a personal note - thank you all for following. Comments and criticism - are as always - most appreciated.

Stay safe out there!

Warm greetings - Heinrich

Dear Heinrich:)
it's Our pleasure,
we have a privilege to share this platform in which we can share our passion in building models and support each other!
I follow your beautiful and professional work with great pleasure and appreciation. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

@shota70 Thank you my friend. Your words are greatly valued and highly appreciated.

I am also very happy to have someone from Israel on our forum. Throughout the difficult years, South Africa and Israel have always had a very special relationship - difficult for the world to fathom, but vital to all South Africans.

Ok Dear Friends

So I cheated a little. I was actually quite a bit further than what my last post showed, but first wanted to finish this section before I post pictures.

As you can see from the Kolderstok picture below, the Batavia - and most Dutch ships for that matter - feature a painted hull below the waterline.

Big Daddy.jpg

Having said that, I was really happy about the way that my planking turned out so I was in two minds whether to paint the hull or not. In the end, I do think that because the Batavia / Haarlem is rich in colour above the waterline, that area might just look colour "top-heavy" compared to a barren wooden finish! Whether this makes any sense, or not - I do not know.

The next challenge was to get the hull as smooth as I possible BUT without creating a finish that looks like a super-smooth GRP hull. So after some preliminary sanding to create a smooth effect, I immediately proceeded to paint the first coat of primer. I use a Danish primer called Flugger which is absolutely brilliant!

WeChat Image_20200807110227.jpg

The reason I paint so early in the process is that it highlights all the uneven spots nicely and I can do some concentrated sanding. And on that topic - I do not play around. I use 80 grit sandpaper at first, then 120, 240 and finish off with 360.

And then it was time for sanding ...

WeChat Image_20200807110221.jpg

My least favourite picture of the build process so far. Cringe-worthy!

And then painting again, sanding again, painting again, sanding again and so we go on ... and on ... and on ...

And this is what she looks like tonight.

WeChat Image_20200813115533.jpg

WeChat Image_20200813115526.jpg

All finishing touches (cleaning up in places / making lines sharper etc.) still need to be done, but for now, I am happy.

Tomorrow it's back to work so things will slow down again. I wish you all a wonderful weekend and week ahead and happy building. Take care and stay safe.

Kind regards - Heinrich

Back