VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Heinrich i just catch up with your latest posts. You are doing a great job there !!!

Now that I am also in the painting mod for the Marmara. Can you teach us how you painted your hull.... technique and paints type.

Cheers and your work is prime !!!

Daniel

@Maarten Thank you kindly Maarten. What would you use to protect the white paint finish?
You can finish it with a clear matt varnish. The color of this 17th century anti fouling was yellowish white as it contained sulphur. You can consider to give is a slightly yellowish varnish to imitate that.

@Dematosdg Hi Daniel. I would stick to the advice that @mrshanks gave you. I would have loved to use Tamiya products, but it is too difficult to get in China. Mike's approach will be the correct one - I tend to do things in an unconventional way that may not be always correct or work for everyone.

Looking fantastic, Heinrich. That sea-green paint really is looking great--and a great match to what is on the Batavia replica. Is that something you found on your own, or did it come with the kit?

@Brewbrarian Thank you for the kind words, Eric! The green paint colour is an interesting story. I have seen many different interpretations of the green on the Batavia. On www.modelbouwforum.nl (the Dutch forum of which I am also a member) there is a very comprehensive build log of the Kolderstok Batavia by Danny Mulders. He actually went to Lelystadt to get the exact colour code from the archives and published that in his log. I then went to a Chinese company called BOTNY who mixed the paint for me.

However, they also have an aerosol can available called GEM GREEN No. 71 which is virtually identical to the mixed paint.

WeChat Image_20200814041324.jpg

I did order the Vallejo paint set for the Batavia that Kolderstok supplies, but I cannot understand how that can be the correct Green. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but to me it just does not make sense.

WeChat Image_20200814042115.jpg

The Vallejo is on the left and the Chinese paint on the right. (Please excuse the green fingers - still trying to get the paint off). Maybe @Kolderstok Hans can shed some light on this.

Back