VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Dear Heinrich
I think that you are right because as it is described by you and according to the pictures you do have to choose the seemingly difficult way (as you explained in your post) because that way you can also find a solution to the rigging challenge.
It seems to me that you are a person who not only is not afraid of challenges but also likes to face them and succeed in them .
as we now it's a wonderful feeling, from our rich experience in life in general and models in particular.
good luck my friend Thumbsup :)

@shota70 Dear Shota. Thank you for your thought-provoking and most beautifully-worded answer (a true gentleman and so hard to come by these days). :)Right from the outset, when I decided to build the Haarlem and not the Batavia, I knew I would make life difficult for myself, but that is where the challenge - and rewards - lie. The main deck is certainly the place that seems least affected by the rigging.

@shota70 Dear Shota. Thank you for your thought-provoking and most beautifully-worded answer (a true gentleman and so hard to come by these days). :)Right from the outset, when I decided to build the Haarlem and not the Batavia, I knew I would make life difficult for myself, but that is where the challenge - and rewards - lie. The main deck is certainly the place that seems least affected by the rigging.

Gee Heinrich thats a tough one. I think you may be best off studying your rigging plan and letting that decide where the guns fall.
Im sure they had to take rigging into concideration on the real ship, it may just help you find a happy home for those extra guns :)
One thing I know, if anyone can get this right with time, it's you :)

Hi Heinrich,

I would place them below the forecastle deck and below the halfdeck. The deadeye positions could be silghtly altered to make room for the gun barrel between the rigging. From a weight perspective they were as low as possible in the ship.

Hi Heinrich,

I‘m not the most experienced ship model expert here (I’ve been at it for a couple of years now ROTFROTF),but I would think the F’castle is the place. I visited the USS Constitution last year and marveled at how the guns were placed both on the gun deck as well as on the main deck. The attached pic shows the arrangement between the guns, shrouds, etc. In the bow.

117857B7-3F37-42CC-A69D-524AEC14832A.jpeg

I’m positive that your solution will be another example of much thought and great execution.

Jan

Well - when I just look at the Zeven Provinciën to compare there are a few spots where extra canons can be placed. Of course there are also restrictions. A hatch could be a potential barrier for reloading if the ship is a bit narrow - but these hatches could easily be closed with planks to create a stable surface.
Also bulwarks had to be cut open - but this was a job which was done on the spot by the ship's carpenter. The cut out pieces could be placed back without much effort when needed
Looking at the side view of the Batavia to be Haarlem there are eight spots where the extra canons can be placed. See the red circles (well - ovals....)
Then - as Maarten said: as low as possible. If you want to add three canons per side (6 in total) this is most easy in the middle of the ship - in de "kuil".

verduidelijking.jpg

@Kolderstok @Pathfinder65 Dear gentlemen: Thank you for your inputs. Jan, yes, the main deck (kuil) is the place to go for. It is going to be a busy deck area (the lifeboat also has to go there) and it is going to result in some major restructuring (SIGH), BUT as most said, this is the correct place.

Hello my dear modelling friends

On the 28th of August, it has been six months since I started the build on the Haarlem and it is therefore only fitting to celebrate her half-birthday status by showing you what she looks like at this stage.

The time since my last posting has been spent working on the Haarlem, starting the Falkonet Longboat and LOTS and LOTs of research into what direction I would like to venture with our favourite pastime.

Starting with the Haarlem it was time to finish the painting of the hull below the waterline properly by neatening up all joining lines and giving it the last few touch-ups. It is now ready to be finished with a coat of two of clear matt varnish. However, the bulk of the work comprised of building up the bulwarks above the wales. This is done by laying down overlapping 4mm wide Abachi planks (a la clinker style!). I could not hurry this part as each plank only has approximately 2mm purchase on the previous one - so for rigidity - the glue had to dry and harden properly before the next plank could be laid. In total this little exercise amounted to 32 planks in total (16 on either side). But enough of my babbling - this is what she looks like now.

WeChat Image_20200901132212.jpg

You will notice that I still have to do the port side gallery and open the last gun port furthest aft. Also note that all finishing still needs to be done to the bulwarks (trimming it to the correct stepped heights and curvatures to accept the railings and ornamentation).

WeChat Image_20200901132225.jpg

By virtue of the semi-completed gallery the starboard side looks considerably more "finished".

WeChat Image_20200901132246.jpg

WeChat Image_20200901132254.jpg

WeChat Image_20200901132239.jpg

In retrospect, six months might seem like a long time to get to this point, I am very happy to be able to post these pictures tonight. I learnt a hell of a lot - not least of which, was about myself.

Until next time my friends, please take care, stay safe and cherish your shipbuilding!

Kind regards - Heinrich

@Dematosdg Thank you for the kind words, Daniel. Seeing that the deck has to house both the longboat and the six cannons, I have to make sure of the space available, I have started building the longboat specifically for this purpose and constructed one cannon and carriage as well. As soon as the longboat is completed, I will do the final measuring and start that little exercise.

Another major job lying ahead is the bracing of the built-up sides from the inside.

Back