VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

@PT-2 Thank you for the kind words Rich! To tell you the truth, I would have no objections if they were to play in the bath with my first two attempts! ROTF Just imagine the scenario - two boisterous little boys recreating the Battle of Texel in 1673 - but this time fought with lifeboats! Fortunately, our thoughts won't have to be with the families of the deceased on this occasion, but rather with those who have to clean up the mess in the bathroom afterwards. :D

You
@PT-2 Thank you for the kind words Rich! To tell you the truth, I would have no objections if they were to play in the bath with my first two attempts! ROTF Just imagine the scenario - two boisterous little boys recreating the Battle of Texel in 1673 - but this time fought with lifeboats! Fortunately, our thoughts won't have to be with the families of the deceased on this occasion, but rather with those who have to clean up the mess in the bathroom afterwards. :D
present a great visualization of the conclusion of the play. ;-) Rich

G'day mate, you have done a fantastic job on this model of the Batavia, it looks really good. I plan on buying this kit as I am from Western Australia and the Batavia is a very important part of our history here. I am interested in anything to do with the Batavia story so I am very keen on building a model of the ship and this kit looks terrific. I hope to learn a lot from your build as you have done such a good job. Cheers mate, Dave.

As
G'day mate, you have done a fantastic job on this model of the Batavia, it looks really good. I plan on buying this kit as I am from Western Australia and the Batavia is a very important part of our history here. I am interested in anything to do with the Batavia story so I am very keen on building a model of the ship and this kit looks terrific. I hope to learn a lot from your build as you have done such a good job. Cheers mate, Dave.
As usual, awesome work from you, Heinrich. I'm looking forward to getting back to my Batavia. Life gets in the way. Selling home, buying home, it's all time. In temporary accommodation. Anywho, Sandgroper , I'm in Perth , maybe we can exchange ideas, both Batavia fans. I'm actually off up north in the next few weeks, will be revisiting the Batavia museum in Geraldton and checking out the long boat replica there. Cheers.

As

As usual, awesome work from you, Heinrich. I'm looking forward to getting back to my Batavia. Life gets in the way. Selling home, buying home, it's all time. In temporary accommodation. Anywho, Sandgroper , I'm in Perth , maybe we can exchange ideas, both Batavia fans. I'm actually off up north in the next few weeks, will be revisiting the Batavia museum in Geraldton and checking out the long boat replica there. Cheers.
That sounds like a plan mate, cheers. I was in Gero every week for almost nine years when I was guiding, we ran trips from Perth to Exmouth every week. I always loved Aussie history but that job really sparked my interest in the VOC wrecks along our coast, the Batavia being the one that really captured my imagination to the point where I did a short Maritime archaeology course at the Fremantle Maritime Museum. I also have a couple of coins recovered from the wreck, both with the correct documentation from the museum.

Sorry to hijack the thread gents, this build is great and very informative, it's going to be very helpful.

@Sandgroper Hello my friend. I am very glad that you have enjoyed the log so far. It has been a long haul for me and at times I simply had to take a break and devote my time to other things. Luckily it is not a race and she remains my No 1 priority. At the moment I am very busy with something totally different and very exciting to me, but as soon as that is finished I will jump right back into it. You can buy this kit with the greatest of confidence. Not only is the kit superb, but @Kolderstok, but Hans van Nieuwkoop, of Kolderstok models is one of the nicest men you will ever do business with.

@Sandgroper Please don't think for a moment that you are hijacking anything. I love this exchange between modelers - that is what makes the hobby so great - and to think that we can do it from all parts of the world, remains mind-boggling to me!

@frankieg Hello Frankie. It is great to hear from you! I can't wait for you to resume the build. You are so right - life does get in the way of the best laid plans of men and mice. Ever since I have become involved in the industry, my time is sparse to say the least. Keeping up with all the developments and to make sure that you are part of that, is almost a full-time job for me.

Hello Dear Friends

As you may or may not now, I am in the process of completing the sampan build after which the big girl is in line get her rightful attention again. Well, to cut a long story short, the Haarlem will get her turn sooner than expected.

Last night the Nantong Government has - with immediate effect - suspended all offline classes and closed all training schools until further notice due to a renewed Covid-19 threat in Jiangsu Province. This could not have come at a worse possible time - just when I was hoping to visit South Africa again in the not too-distant future. So yes, it will mean more time in the shipyard (pending online classes of course), but it also means no income! What you gain on the swings ...

Hello Dear Friends

As you may or may not now, I am in the process of completing the sampan build after which the big girl is in line get her rightful attention again. Well, to cut a long story short, the Haarlem will get her turn sooner than expected.

Last night the Nantong Government has - with immediate effect - suspended all offline classes and closed all training schools until further notice due to a renewed Covid-19 threat in Jiangsu Province. This could not have come at a worse possible time - just when I was hoping to visit South Africa again in the not too-distant future. So yes, it will mean more time in the shipyard (pending online classes of course), but it also means no income! What you gain on the swings ...
I for one am looking forward to your continued progress on the Haarlem.
As for work, I hope things will work out for you! Pun intended! ;) Perhaps online courses soon?
I had to work from home for a year. Just went back into the office a few months ago because a lot of people are getting the vaccine. But it doesn’t seem to matter with the new variant. This darn virus has been more than a pandemic, very frustrating for most of the world! But when I worked from home, the time I saved not traveling to and from work, I was able to spend on ship building. I have lost that time again…sigh, and thus my build has slowed down. :(

@Dean62 Thank you Dean. Last year we taught online for four months - which at very best - is not ideal. However, the whole of China was under lockdown so we had more than enough opportunities to teach. Now the situation is much more localized. Personally, I don't think there is an issue at all (we have all been vaccinated), but the government is just VERY cautious.

I will probably start on the Dutch lady in about a week's time.

@Heinrich, Good news and bad news in the same statement. It’s exiting to hear that your Haarlem build will resume but on the other hand troubling to hear about the lockdown.

Be cautious and stay healthy.

Jan

@Heinrich, Good news and bad news in the same statement. It’s exiting to hear that your Haarlem build will resume but on the other hand troubling to hear about the lockdown.

Be cautious and stay healthy.

Jan
That's the thing Jan! I would have much preferred resuming the Haarlem build under normal circumstances, but it is what it is. My mother is still very much around and my son is getting married in February next year, so the idea was to visit South Africa. However, this latest situation has all but put paid to those chances.

Back