VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Looking great Heinrich! With every addition, it looks that much better!
If I could make a suggestion, I would recommend on the yellow pieces, that you mix a little bit of white to the yellow paint, and then dry brush those pieces with it. That will highlight them very nicely. ;)
Thank you very much Dean. I will certainly give that a try - thank you very much for the advice - it is much appreciated! Thumbsup

Nice Heinrich.
How does it look from the side? I'm curious about the planking.

Wonderful Heinrich! Did you build this from scratch? I had a brief exchange with Ab Hoving who had a 3d rendering but no printed plans - and Hans as well but it didn't sound like he had a scale that would work for me... I would love to build a support ship when I'm done but can't find plans or a kit for a 1:65 version suitable for the early 1600's (Dutch).

Last edited:
Hi Heinrich,

Just catching up on your log. Your cosmetic repair on the scuppers and the little lifeboat are both excellent steps in the saga of converting your kit to the Haarlem.

Jan

@dockattner Hi Paul. So now I am officially very confused. ROTF I am either...

(a) growing very old
(b) have lost my memory
(c) am under the wrong impression or
(d) am talking to too many people (Pick your choice ROTF)

but have I not mailed you the plans for the chaloup some time ago?

@dockattner Paul to answer your question about a scratch-build. I have ordered the lifeboat from Hans at @Kolderstok , but have changed the whole stern section according to the images I have found in Ab's builds. The oar locks I have also doubled in width as I believe that just looks better on the top railing (potdeksel). The Kolderstok lifeboat is in 1:72 scale, so it will be slightly too small for the VASA. Trouble i can save you right now is not even to look at the kits of Master Korabel and Falkonet. They are simply not suitable in style to Dutch ships of this era.

@DonRobinson Thank you very much Don! I am glad that you like it, because I wasn't sure about that (I took some real artistic freedom there). The problem was that I chose linden wood to get a "clean-looking" interior, but was forced either to stain or paint the hull (the bare linden wood was simply too white). When I tested the stain on the linden wood, it surprisingly turned out way darker than applied to walnut. So, I exercised the lesser of two evils by going for the paint.

@dockattner Hi Paul. So now I am officially very confused. ROTF I am either...

(a) growing very old
(b) have lost my memory
(c) am under the wrong impression or
(d) am talking to too many people (Pick your choice ROTF)

but have I not mailed you the plans for the chaloup some time ago?
Oh my Heinrich. You are absolutely right. Ab H. has 3d renderings of two boats - a 'boot' and a 'chaloup' and I thought you sent me drawings for the larger one (the boot). I just looked again and it is indeed the chaloup. My apologies.

@dockattner Oh Boy! Am I relieved - thought I was losing it ROTF So with the dimensions that i sent you it's an easy calculation to get to the exact scale of 1:65. You are all set!Thumbs-Up

Back