VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Hello Everyone

With a few days of vacation during Spring Festival , it allowed me some time to work on the Haarlem.

The first on the agenda was the two-disc stand underneath the quarterdeckdek. This stand is supposed to house one of the decorative heads, but I am not going to paint something that can't be seen, I just cut a diamond-shaped top and that was that. I drilled a hole into the bottom of the stand into which I inserted a brass pin and then glued the assembly with PVA glue by lowering it through the opening in the quarterdeck into position.

1.jpg

Next was the three-sheaved belaying rack assembly at the main mast. The first attempt ended up in the garbage bin and the second one was mounted with the help of some brass wire and secondenlijm.

2.jpg

This attempt ended up in the garbage can. Redface

3.jpg

Whilst this one got to stay! Thumbsup

4.jpg

The same exercise was repeated for the belaying-pin rack on the forecastle, but luckily the first attempt sufficed.

Before the across railings could be mounted on the forecastle and quarterdeck, I first checked to see if everything was level and if there were any adjustments that had to be made.

5.jpg

I was good at the stern ...

6.jpg

Midships was good as well ...

7.jpg

And we were all systems go on the forecastle!

This means that @dockattner Paul's favourite pastime activity could be started. Out with the paint brushes - but luckily mine was one-colour only! :)

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

The completed first railing ready for installation. The 4mm walnut base plank was first soaked in water for about 15 minutes and then carefully shaped by hand and eye only. After a quick drying with the Admiral's hairdryer, it was test fitted and painted.

11.jpg

The first railing is placed on the forecastle ... and weighed down by some Chinese-manufactured Coke Zero. (No, I don't drink Coke Zero because I think it is healthier than regular Coke - I just prefer the taste. :D

12.jpg

And then the first one is done. Now it is just a case of carefully applying some black paint to the areas which are now "shiny" because of the CA gel.

13.jpg

And then the railings on the forecastle are finished!

14.jpg

From this angle, the Haarlem almost has a Xebec-look about it! :D

15.jpg

Combined side and top view.

16.jpg

Railing placed on the quarterdeck as well.

17.jpg

Overall view from the stern.

微信图片_20210216133203.jpg

Complete overview - just for good luck!ROTF

And that my dear friends concludes this update. On a ship like this you can only work so fast as many little things have to be scratch-built and improvised as you go along. But that is what it makes it so special for me. She has really and still is putting me through a steep learning curve.

To all of you - enjoy your model building and cherish the time that you have doing so. Let us all appreciate this beautiful hobby that we are all a part of. Thank you all for following, reading, commenting, criticizing and giving advice.

Warmest greetings - Heinrich

Wonderfully rendered Heinrich! All that remains is painting tiny faces on the balusters. Maybe some Roman emperors or characters from mythology? Or dragons to honor your current home? I'll send you some tiny brushes!
In truth I love the addition of these railings and the splash of color. She's looks very sharp and you are to be commended for your keen eye! Bravo!
Something needs to happen to the yellow guys, right? I assume you will be adding some (other) color or at least some shading?

@Pathfinder65 Thank you very much my friend. I fully agree about the personality and it is nice to see how she is slowly developing into a ship.
Very good Heinrich. It seems like an endless chore with the railings! :) Looks great though, be sure to do some house cleaning before the admiral gets home!!!
Don my friend, because I have no space other than the kitchen to build, it does sometimes look like an earthquake has hit the place. Then I just tell the Admiral to relax and go watch a movie or something - but, there's a caveat to that - the fact that she is not allowed in the kitchen, means I have to do the cooking! But after tonight, the shipyard is officially closed for the time being and tomorrow is apartment cleaning day. (Which by the way, is my responsibility! Sick)

Wonderfully rendered Heinrich! All that remains is painting tiny faces on the balusters. Maybe some Roman emperors or characters from mythology? Or dragons to honor your current home? I'll send you some tiny brushes!
In truth I love the addition of these railings and the splash of color. She's looks very sharp and you are to be commended for your keen eye! Bravo!
Something needs to happen to the yellow guys, right? I assume you will be adding some (other) color or at least some shading?
Thank you so much for the kind words, Paul! Don't you worry - my days of painting little ornaments are looming faster than I like. The yellow guys are not supposed to get any other colour, but we will certainly play around with some shading and washes. On that topic - any advice that you have for me in that regard will be appreciated.

Thank you so much for the kind words, Paul! Don't you worry - my days of painting little ornaments are looming faster than I like. The yellow guys are not supposed to get any other colour, but we will certainly play around with some shading and washes. On that topic - any advice that you have for me in that regard will be appreciated.
Well, I suppose they could just stay as they are since there is nothing else on the ship in the way of fancy painted bits. It's just that the yellow is so shocking. Could they be the same red as the balusters? Or a toned down yellow like the stripe? Or gilded like the relief carving in the galleon? If you use a wash (really thinned down paint) I have learned that it will also (unavoidably though sometimes desirably) tint the rest - the wash does not just sit in the depth of the carving. Maybe a wash using a golden/yellow umber would tone them down and add some visual interest by tinting the grooves a darker shade? What are they made of? They look like they have been 3d printed?

@dockattner There are still considerable ornamentation to be added but more towards the side galleries and the stern. Red is unfortunately not correct - no choice there, but the golden/yellow umber is certainly worth a try. Paul, I wished they were 3D printed, but it's actually just a resin casting. In real life, this is what they look like. There are still yellow ornaments to be added to the galleon which might make them less dominant.

gPICT0497.jpg

@dockattner There are still considerable ornamentation to be added but more towards the side galleries and the stern. Red is unfortunately not correct - no choice there, but the golden/yellow umber is certainly worth a try. Paul, I wished they were 3D printed, but it's actually just a resin casting. In real life, this is what they look like. There are still yellow ornaments to be added to the galleon which might make them less dominant.

View attachment 213846
Notably the yellow is more muted than the resin casting. I would try the color you used on the stripe if it was my build. And, yes, the addition of the other yellow guys will help a lot! Small figures don't get treated by light the way that "real-life" figures do - so I think a wash to create some shadows might also be considered.

@Pathfinder65 Jan, i first drill a pilot hole of less than a mm in diameter; then a 2mm drill bit, a 5mm bit and a 7mm one. As soon as the 7mm one went in, you just saw walnut flying. :eek: Sick

@Pathfinder65 Jan, i first drill a pilot hole of less than a mm in diameter; then a 2mm drill bit, a 5mm bit and a 7mm one. As soon as the 7mm one went in, you just saw walnut flying. :eek: Sick
Can you fit in a pre-drilled piece into that spot? It looks like the scupper spouts have enough of an edge that if you insert them into a pre drilled and measured piece and the placed it up against the hull the edges would hold it. That make sense?

Last edited:
@Pathfinder65 That is what I am thinking Jan! That was also a suggestion from the Dutch forum! But the two holes have now been drilled - they are quite close to each other and I think there was just too much vibration/strain. The challenge is fitting the replacement exactly into the vacant space so that it is not visible! :eek:

@Gennaro Hi Gennaro. Thank you for the good advice. A reamer will certainly be better - and as you say - working with wood the beauty is that everything (or at least the vast majority of things) is fixable!.

Back