VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Marvelous Heinrich. I'm so glad you came back to the Batavia/Haarlem! I share your interest in these Dutch-built ships and am learning a lot for my own build. Thanks for leading the way!

Heinrich, very nicely done, As always your explanation of your progress is great. If I counted correctly that was four sheaves, so is it “four sheaves into the wind”? I never can get all those nautical terms right :p

ExplosionHappy new year to you and AnnaExplosion

Jan

@dockattner Thank you Paul - I really appreciate your comments. I wish I had the ability to emulate your painting skills ... but alas :D. Yes the Dutch ships are very special Paul and there is a HUGE difference between their construction and way of operation than anything else. The problem is that on the 17th Century ships there really are no definitive plans available up until about 1680. A lot is guesswork and that makes it very difficult to try and bring one to market. And if - by chance - you do find plans then you have to fight the whole world for the right to use them.

@Pathfinder65 Thank you for the compliments and for the New Year's wishes, Jan! Yes the English terminology is not my strong suit. But now we do know that the locking system of the capstan is called a pawl and the Dutch name is a "Blokkeersysteem" (Literally translated - Blocking System).

I am waiting and praying for the day when the corona plague will pass, and thet we will return to a normal life and we will finally be able to meet at a shipbuilding conference. It would be nicer, to meet all of you , my dear friends
Now that would be an absolutely wonderful gathering - can you imagine how much of an exchange of ideas will take place? And what an opportunity to show politicians all over the world what is really important in life!

@Maarten Thank you very much Maarten. Yes, the Chinese love their food and prepares it in abundance - whatever the occasion. Luckily, I am not a big eater, and seeing that Anna is going home to her family with for 3 days and I am on my own - I should be able to exercise some restraint!:)

Pffff! Now you can hit an iceberg with your ship - and the iceberg will sink! :p
A lot of work - but it turned out quite well! (Except for the walnut keel part).

In the planking proces two options are possible in this stage:
1: Bend en mount the planking in a way it is a little bit too long so it goes a few mm over the false keel. Then - when your new keel part has arrived, use this as a template to draw the outlines (width) of the walnut keel onto the planks and cut away the ends of the planks so the keel fits exactly in between it.
2: or sand the planks nice flush in the rounding of the hull and cut out the thickness of the planks out of the new-to-arrive keel part so it fits over it.

And Ab Hoving is right when he says that balsa is no wood. In fact it is wood, but it is no real construction wood. It does not really add strenght or whatsoever to the hull. It merely gives you a good indication of how your planking should go and how the lines of the bow part go.
The bow of Dutch 17th century ships was quitte blunt (I don't know if this is the correct word for it), but I mean that the bow is very round shaped and therefore rather difficult to form. Once you have experienced the bending and gluing of the first planks you will appreciate the extra wood in front.

Hans

Back