VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Thank you Dean. I have seen from your build just how important continuity is. I have set myself a goal where I want to be at the end of year one and for that I need to get a move on. The whole of 2020 has just been a rollercoaster ride - especially with Bluenose. Bluenose has been hugely important (not only for the kit itself), but for the connection it has achieved between YuanQing and I. This augurs very well for future models.
I typically go where the momentum takes me...lol. I was really excited to build the Cazador, and once I got a head of steam, there was no turning back or slowing down. Make no mistake, two kits arrived during that time, and I wanted to jump ship (pun intended) on a few occasions. But I think the current build deserved all of my attention! That's because I know from experience, when you stop and start on projects, two things happen...you forget where you were and that kills efficiency and productivity, and also things get missed or forgotten. I guess some are better at multi tasking than others, but I find I personally am more productive to see something to the end before starting anything else. I still have a grandfather clock I haven't finished because I had stop to pack it up when we moved. The parts are still in boxes...sigh!

Hello Everyone

Despite of a few harsh reminders of the reality of the Model Shipbuilding Industry, I continued unabated and unperturbed with the Haarlem. As you may recall from the last posting, I started the planking of the galleon.

微信图片_20210127183910.jpg

The Starboard side completed.

微信图片_20210127183921.jpg

Both sides are done! Normally the top railing that now needs to go on, gets mounted on top of the "galleon bulkheads", but I wanted more purchase for the top railing. I thus filed those tops flat and replaced them with small wooden blocks of the correct height. With that done, it was now time to do the weathering of the galleon.

gPICT0515.jpg

In a perfect world, this was the kind of weathered effect (maybe slightly more severe) I was trying to achieve.

微信图片_20210127204636.jpg

Very happy with how that turned out! :)

微信图片_20210127205314.jpg

微信图片_20210127204624.jpg

And the exterior view.

Thank you all for watching and following. Until next time keep well and take care.

Heinrich

Hello Everyone

Despite of a few harsh reminders of the reality of the Model Shipbuilding Industry, I continued unabated and unperturbed with the Haarlem. As you may recall from the last posting, I started the planking of the galleon.

View attachment 208944

View attachment 208945

Both sides are done! Normally the top railing that now needs to go on, gets mounted on top of the "galleon bulkheads", but I wanted more purchase for the top railing. I thus filed those tops flat and replaced them with small wooden blocks of the correct height. With that done, it was now time to do the weathering of the galleon.

View attachment 208950

In a perfect world, this was the kind of weathered effect (maybe slightly more severe) I was trying to achieve.

View attachment 208951

View attachment 208956

View attachment 208957

And the exterior view.

Thank you all for watching and following. Until next time keep well and take care.

Heinrich
She looks great Heinrich! Awesome job!

Hello Everyone

View attachment 208944

View attachment 208945

View attachment 208950

View attachment 208951

View attachment 208956

View attachment 208957

And the exterior view.

Heinrich
I would suggest adding the belaying pins and boards (as well as anything else needed in there) prior to putting the bow sprit in, as it will be harder to get in there at that point!

@Dean62 Hello Dean. Thank you for the kind words! You are absolutely right. All the ancillary equipment will be added before the bowsprit goes on. There is still quite a lot of work that needs to done on that section. :)

Hello Everyone

View attachment 208944

View attachment 208945

View attachment 208950

View attachment 208951

View attachment 208956

View attachment 208957

And the exterior view.

Heinrich
Lovely scroll work! Is it part of the kit? Thanks.

@frankieg Thank you Frankie - it is great to hear from you. I know it must be a difficult time for you, but that will also pass. I am hard at work researching the next project, but the more I delve into things, the more confused I get. :confused:

Hello everyone. Further progress on the Haarlem.

微信图片_20210204114014.jpg

Toilets (gemakken in Dutch) for the galleon made and installed. When I sent my mother - she is 84 and following along - the picture, she wanted to know if it was done just like this - "so out in the open! :) ). The rope that was used as toilet paper, still needs to be added.

微信图片_20210204113718.jpg

Belaying racks and pins for the galleon installed. On the rack in front, the really initiated will spot a deviation from the plans. I was supposed to use only 9 belaying pins, but symmetrically, that did not appeal to me - thus I used 10.

微信图片_20210204142825.jpg

Bending the walnut for the top railing of the galleon was not an easy exercise - even with a plank bender. As each builder's curvature on the bow will vary to some extent, you can't possibly know if you have done it right, until the ornaments are fitted. Only then will you see if your curvature was correct. You will also notice that I cut away too much of my hull planking at the luizenplecht area leaving me now with an unsightly gap. Here, I still need to figure out a plan.

微信图片_20210204113728.jpg

Luckily grumpy old man #1 fitted perfectly. At this stage of the build they have just received their primary colour - wash will be added later.

微信图片_20210204142151.jpg

And now the Grumpy Old Men picture is completed! The two catheads have had the slots for their sheaves cut, but are just lying loose on the foredeck at this stage. Onwards with the belaying racks and pins.

微信图片_20210204113944.jpg

From the plans, I cut the drawing in question and then glue that to the piece of the wood is that is to become the rack. Photo copying plans have given me one or two nasty surprises in the past. So, apologies for your plans @Kolderstok Hans - after I'm done building, they don't like that good anymore.

微信图片_20210204113951.jpg

I first drilled a pilot hole with a hand drill before enlarging the holes in a further two stages. Even then - the walnut was susceptible to cracking down the middle.

And here are the results:

微信图片_20210204144555.jpg

On the half-deck starboard side.

微信图片_20210204113808.jpg
Forecastle Port Side

微信图片_20210204113757.jpg

Forecastle starboard side.

微信图片_20210204113737.jpg

Forecastle - starboard side viewed from the side.

And lastly, a few pictures of the overall view:

微信图片_20210204142158.jpg

微信图片_20210204142218.jpg

微信图片_20210204142158.jpg

微信图片_20210204142209.jpg

And that my dear friends, conclude my news for today. Thank you all for watching, following, commenting, advising, or just being here - it is all apprecaited and valued.

Take care out there and stay safe.

Kind regards -Heinrich

Back