VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

@Dean62 Thank you Dean! The colours do add a lot towards brightening things up.

@dockattner Thanks Paul! I love these Dutch ships - to me they have such an unmistakable character that I will be hard pressed to do a major build of anything else. The next major build will also be Dutch, and she will be a proper warship!

@Pathfinder65 Jan De Zeven Provincien is a magnificent ship, but too many have been built. Maybe it will be a 7P with a BIG twist in the tale! :D

@Pathfinder65 Or what about this? Maybe we build the 7P together! :D
A splendid idea. But then again maybe you can find a ship that is unique? I like the larger scale full models. 1:50 is my limit for the smaller kits. It’s all about not so nimble fingers and not to keen eyesight :(:(. A result of being part of the Older Generation.

Jan

@Pathfinder65 The Kolderstok 7P is also 1:72 scale - like the Haarlem. It is about 10mm shorter than the Batavia (85mm compared to 95mm), but it is wider in the beam. Size should therefore not be too much of a problem - she is considerably bigger than the Duyfken.

Hello everyone

Inbetween year-end at school, Bluenose and future model activity planning, I continued on the Haarlem. Don't ask when I sleep.

The first step was to open the gunports on the Port Side.

微信图片_20210121205904.jpg

This time there was no luxury of drilling pilot holes in the four corners of the gunport-square. I scored the gunport heavily with the X-Acto and then used it as a chisel. By the way, that is a full-sized hammer. :)

微信图片_20210121205857.jpg

If the knife is sharp enough and your angle is correct you get a surprisingly clean cut.

微信图片_20210121205912.jpg

Clean-cut or not, looking at the port side like this is still a "cringe-worthy" moment. :(

微信图片_20210121205943.jpg

微信图片_20210121210045.jpg

But ... eventually all order is restored and finally ... I can place all 6 cannons. (You can see in the picture above that I have made a start to the final piece of bracing that goes on the inside of the bulwarks in the deck area.

微信图片_20210121210054.jpg

The gun carriages still need to be finished and the cannons rigged, but that is for another day.

微信图片_20210121210116.jpg

I am very happy to be at this point tonight and that I have taken the plunge to install the cannons.

微信图片_20210121205955.jpg

Now I could also check the available space that I have for the longboat. First up - the Falkonet.

微信图片_20210121210035.jpg

Nice boat the time frame and period simply makes it unsuitable for the Haarlem. Next up the Kolderstok longboat.

微信图片_20210121210101.jpg

Despite the keel that protrudes too high into the boat and the lack of floorboards, it is a much better fit. Hence I ordered another one from @Kolderstok Hans and that I WILL make work!

微信图片_20210121210109.jpg

And just an overview shot of the deck area.

微信图片_20210121210002.jpg

As a parting shot, I have also start work on planking the galleon, but that is for another day

Keep safe, take care and build those ships!!!

Hello everyone

Inbetween year-end at school, Bluenose and future model activity planning, I continued on the Haarlem. Don't ask when I sleep.

The first step was to open the gunports on the Port Side.

View attachment 207399

This time there was no luxury of drilling pilot holes in the four corners of the gunport-square. I scored the gunport heavily with the X-Acto and then used it as a chisel. By the way, that is a full-sized hammer. :)

View attachment 207400

If the knife is sharp enough and your angle is correct you get a surprisingly clean cut.

View attachment 207407

Clean-cut or not, looking at the port side like this is still a "cringe-worthy" moment. :(

View attachment 207404

View attachment 207409

But ... eventually all order is restored and finally ... I can place all 6 cannons. (You can see in the picture above that I have made a start to the final piece of bracing that goes on the inside of the bulwarks in the deck area.

View attachment 207417

The gun carriages still need to be finished and the cannons rigged, but that is for another day.

View attachment 207418

I am very happy to be at this point tonight and that I have taken the plunge to install the cannons.

View attachment 207422

Now I could also check the available space that I have for the longboat. First up - the Falkonet.

View attachment 207427

Nice boat the time frame and period simply makes it unsuitable for the Haarlem. Next up the Kolderstok longboat.

View attachment 207431

Despite the keel that protrudes too high into the boat and the lack of floorboards, it is a much better fit. Hence I ordered another one from @Kolderstok Hans and that I WILL make work!

View attachment 207432

And just an overview shot of the deck area.

View attachment 207433

As a parting shot, I have also start work on planking the galleon, but that is for another day

Keep safe, take care and build those ships!!!
Heinrich, she’s looking fantastic! Glad you are giving her some much needed attention!

Heinrich, she’s looking fantastic! Glad you are giving her some much needed attention!
Thank you Dean. I have seen from your build just how important continuity is. I have set myself a goal where I want to be at the end of year one and for that I need to get a move on. The whole of 2020 has just been a rollercoaster ride - especially with Bluenose. Bluenose has been hugely important (not only for the kit itself), but for the connection it has achieved between YuanQing and I. This augurs very well for future models.

Back