VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Hello Everyone

Well it was on with the bracing of the bulwarks on the Port Side.

View attachment 205491

Inner bracing completed and sanded even. The deck is not dirty - it's just sawdust after the sanding! (The pictures are taken hot of the press! ROTF )

View attachment 205492

The excess material is cut away from the bulwarks so that we can see a rough line emerging. At this stage, I am not finishing this as the railing first has to go on. Thereafter everything will be finely finished on both sides.

View attachment 205494

Then it was on to the railing on the forecastle. As I have no powertools, each little spar has to be cut with an X-Acto knife, painted and glued into position. Then out came the file and the tops are filed even. Inevitably in this process, there are a few who do not make it! :mad:

View attachment 205496

While waiting for the glue to dry she enjoyed a rare outing in the afternoon "sun" from the balcony of the Nantong Penitentiary;)!

View attachment 205497

When the Admiral inspected the results, it was summarily dismissed! So, there is only one way of doing this. Yep - do over!

Effort Number Two:

View attachment 205498

View attachment 205499

This is a very difficult one to call as the little spars not only run along an incline towards the bow, but also round a corner!

View attachment 205500

Overview. I am happy with this effort, but will now wait in anticipation for the Admiral to come home.

Stay well and happy everyone - until next time!
Heinrich
Is she the Admiral or the Warden?

Hello Everyone

Well it was on with the bracing of the bulwarks on the Port Side.

View attachment 205491

Inner bracing completed and sanded even. The deck is not dirty - it's just sawdust after the sanding! (The pictures are taken hot of the press! ROTF )

View attachment 205492

The excess material is cut away from the bulwarks so that we can see a rough line emerging. At this stage, I am not finishing this as the railing first has to go on. Thereafter everything will be finely finished on both sides.

View attachment 205494

Then it was on to the railing on the forecastle. As I have no powertools, each little spar has to be cut with an X-Acto knife, painted and glued into position. Then out came the file and the tops are filed even. Inevitably in this process, there are a few who do not make it! :mad:

View attachment 205496

While waiting for the glue to dry she enjoyed a rare outing in the afternoon "sun" from the balcony of the Nantong Penitentiary;)!

View attachment 205497

When the Admiral inspected the results, it was summarily dismissed! So, there is only one way of doing this. Yep - do over!

Effort Number Two:

View attachment 205498

View attachment 205499

This is a very difficult one to call as the little spars not only run along an incline towards the bow, but also round a corner!

View attachment 205500

Overview. I am happy with this effort, but will now wait in anticipation for the Admiral to come home.

Stay well and happy everyone - until next time!
Heinrich

Wow...what a beautiful ship and a beautiful build. Really loved what you did with the bow section and the railings. I always have trouble keeping my railings properly aligned. Did you pin the vertical spars to the bottom and top rails? Pray tell, how did you manage to keep them perfectly aligned? Thanks for sharing. Keep safe always my friend.

@WarrLight Dear Reggie. Thank you for the kind words. I wish I could give you an answer that would result in an easy and failsafe solution . But alas ...

The railings were intended to be 3mm wide and 2mm wooden strips, but I managed to run out of those. I had no option but to laminate two pieces of 3mm x 1mm strips to get the desired size. As such I didn't want to risk drilling holes in the bottom to insert pins as I was afraid that I would split the two laminated pieces. So it was a case of very carefully filing the bottom of each little strip so that it would match the angle of the railing on which it needed to be glued. Even though I regard CA glue as "evil", I had no other option but to use it on the railings. I used the Pattex Gel which I have found to be the "least evil". :) After the strips were glued in place and the superglue had properly settled, I would then use a small file to file the tops even before gluing on the top railing. For the railings, I used PVA as per normal, properly weighted down with plenty of drying time.

Hello Everyone

As mentioned earlier this morning, the top railings have now been completed after an all-nighter.

微信图片_20210117074721.jpg

Looking at this picture, I realised that one can't see very much, but before taking some "nicer" and clearer pictures (by my mediocre photographic standards), it was first time to do something that I was not looking forward to ...

微信图片_20210117212600.jpg

... cut off these terrible-looking overhangs.

微信图片_20210117212402.jpg

The Bluenose's "Backdrop" sheeting doesn't even come close to providing an adequate background for the Haarlem.

微信图片_20210117212450.jpg

After the bulwarks had been trimmed level with the stern, some serious touching-up is required. This is because of the overlapping, "Clinker-style" laying of the planks that does not allow for a straight-line cut. This is no big deal as the final painting will be air-brushed in any case. Of course it remains to be seen whether my Chinese paint supplier will be able to supply me with the actual paint (not of the spray-can variety).

微信图片_20210117212430.jpg

The starboard side did not seem to have taken such a severe beating.

微信图片_20210117212457.jpg

The cleaned-up bow section (minus overhangs) is clearly visible here, but will require a substantial amount of finishing work before I'm happy.

That is all for now - tomorrow is another day with another challenge. Thank you all so much for looking and for following and please feel free to comment - criticism included!

Kind regards - Heinrich

Attachments

• 微信图片_20210117212430.jpg
    微信图片_20210117212430.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 6
Hello Everyone

As mentioned earlier this morning, the top railings have now been completed after an all-nighter.

View attachment 206318

Looking at this picture, I realised that one can't see very much, but before taking some "nicer" and clearer pictures (by my mediocre photographic standards), it was first time to do something that I was not looking forward to ...

View attachment 206319

... cut off these terrible-looking overhangs.

View attachment 206320

The Bluenose's "Backdrop" sheeting doesn't even come close to providing an adequate background for the Haarlem.

View attachment 206322

After the bulwarks had been trimmed level with the stern, some serious touching-up is required. This is because of the overlapping, "Clinker-style" laying of the planks that does not allow for a straight-line cut. This is no big deal as the final painting will be air-brushed in any case. Of course it remains to be seen whether my Chinese paint supplier will be able to supply me with the actual paint (not of the spray-can variety).

View attachment 206323

The starboard side did not seem to have taken such a severe beating.

View attachment 206324

The cleaned-up bow section (minus overhangs) is clearly visible here, but will require a substantial amount of finishing work before I'm happy.

That is all for now - tomorrow is another day with another challenge. Thank you all so much for looking and for following and please feel free to comment - criticism included!

Kind regards - Heinrich
Wow, wow. That little ship is taking on a personality of it’s own. Excellent work.

Jan

Good job on the trimming Heinrich. That is one job that always makes me nervous as you never know if the plank(s) are going to crack, split, break or de-bond. I normally use side cutters but with the clinker style I'm not so sure they would work, what did you use?

Hi Don. I just used an X-Acto Knife and took my time. Luckily the wood is so strong on these Kolderstok kits that you can dish out a severe dose of punishment. Buyt - obviously - the clinker style requires lots of finishing and cleaning-up afterwards. However, that is the way that the Dutch built them! :D

Back