VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

@Dematosdg

@Vfordyce

Daniel and Victator - great question gents - and Daniel ... please fire away with questions! So to answer - no, the capsquares were indeed pieces of iron. For now - as at that stage it is all about placement and the gunports themselves - I have just stuck pieces of wood with double-sided tape to the carriages to keep the barrels at the correct angle.

děla%20spodní%20paluby%20Batavie__.jpg
Cannons and carriages on the replica of the Batavia.

When it comes to finishing the cannon/carriage assemblies, what I will do, is still an open question at this stage. Remember, no one has ever modelled a Batavia with cannons on the decks, so I have no example to follow. For that, I have to look at the model of the Zeven Provincien. The picture below shows the way that many of the Dutch builders on Modelbouwforum go.

IMG_0087.JPG

@Dematosdg

@Vfordyce

Daniel and Victator - great question gents - and Daniel ... please fire away with questions! So to answer - no, the capsquares were indeed pieces of iron. For now - as at that stage it is all about placement and the gunports themselves - I have just stuck pieces of wood with double-sided tape to the carriages to keep the barrels at the correct angle.

View attachment 196658
Cannons and carriages on the replica of the Batavia.

When it comes to finishing the cannon/carriage assemblies, what I will do, is still an open question at this stage. Remember, no one has ever modelled a Batavia with cannons on the decks, so I have no example to follow. For that, I have to look at the model of the Zeven Provincien. The picture below shows the way that many of the Dutch builders on Modelbouwforum go.

View attachment 196659

Very interesting. Always... always something to learn !!!

Thank you !!!
Daniel

Well, I have just contacted our good friend, Hans van Nieuwkoop of Kolderstok Models for some more wood and fittings that belong to the (oh-Sh**t-I-messed-that-up) category. Hopefully in about fifteen days' from now, I will be able to resume the build.

Hello All

It feels quite strange to be posting here - Bluenose seems to have taken over my modelbuilding activities lately, but there was no way that I was going to end the year without returning - at least once - to my big girl! :) With my wood that has arrived from Kolderstok in the Netherlands, I just felt like doing the galleon.

微信图片_20201228225752.jpg

For the galleon (which obviously comprises mostly of gratings) Kolderstok supplies this sheet. On the right the you will see the notched parts and on the left the straight beams. Ni in this case, the word "beam" is a complete misnomer, as it is a square piece of wood of 1mm x 1mm. Thus, it goes without saying that the notches are also 1mm in width and depth.

微信图片_20201228225743.jpg

Here you can see the notched sections from left to right while the straight pieces are inserted into the notches and gently pressed into position. What makes this tricky of course is that all the sections are a different size and therefore units mostly have to be assembled individually.

微信图片_20201229233744.jpg

Now if I will be excused for listing a pet hate, it is the completely out-of-scale size of most gratings that I see on models - they are simply way too big. Luckily, Kolderstok does not fell foul of this - but there is a trade-off. This is a job that requires plenty of patience and the whisperings of sweet-nothings into the ear of these parts which are not the most co-operative of sorts. With these done, it was time to mix the special cocktail.

微信图片_20201229233717.jpg

A blob of PVA glue.

微信图片_20201228225857.jpg

Thoroughly mixed with hot water (to facilitate proper mixing).

微信图片_20201228225730.jpg

This concoction is then brushed all over the gratings and left to dry.

微信图片_20201229233731.jpg

After that, the individual units are then cut to size and glued to the centre piece of the galleon. When properly dried the edges are cut to size and the side-pieces are glued into the position.

微信图片_20201229233757.jpg

I was very happy with how this turned out. Did I mention those little square holes are 1mm x 1mm ROTF

Now it was time to round the galleon at the back (the part where it would fit against the hull) and then of course came the acid test. How does it fit?

微信图片_20201229233428.jpg

And luckily the answer to that - is very well thank you! Obviously this is just a dry fit and none of the brackets in which the galleon will be mounted has been installed on the beakhead yet.

微信图片_20201229233501.jpg

微信图片_20201229233357.jpg

And with that my friends, we turn our bows towards the 2021 firm in the belief that it will be a year in which we will all enjoy good health, a certain amount of prosperity and the opportunity to practice our shipbuilding!

I wish you well my friends!

Back