VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

@Pathfinder65 Jan this one I chose just for you! :) This will just be my proposal to them - so it's far too early to say anything. I looked at something that could possibly be done in 1:30 scale, does not have too much repetitive work, but which will certainly have a few challenges

@Pathfinder65 Jan this one I chose just for you! :) This will just be my proposal to them - so it's far too early to say anything. I looked at something that could possibly be done in 1:30 scale, does not have too much repetitive work, but which will certainly have a few challenges
Hi Heinrich,

Oh boy, 1/30 scale. Great for these old eyes. :p:p

Jan

That was my thinking too. And for those among us who don't like painting with paint - the chance to paint with wood!

Thank you very much Dean! I just wish that I could find the same continuity and momentum in my build that you have in yours!:)

Now the question is: Can I still build a model ship? ROTF I not bad at being an administrator, but a builder ... I am not so sure anymore! :)

Anyway. Here goes.

微信图片_20201202225154.jpg
Forecastle bulwarks and inner bracing - port side.

微信图片_20201202225239.jpg
Starboard Side.

微信图片_20201202225212.jpg
And a view from aft - showing both sides.

And THEN: It was time to cut away the bulwarks on the starboard side so that the cannons could go in on the main deck. I dreaded this exercise - just the idea of drilling holes and cutting something to smithereens that was absolutely perfect, gave me nightmares! Anyways ...

微信图片_20201202225409.jpg

微信图片_20201202230527.jpg

微信图片_20201202224936.jpg

And with this, the Batavia officially becomes the HAARLEM !

微信图片_20201202224956.jpg

And now it's back to the Bluenose and the new development which has me SUPER-EXCITED!

Thank you all so much for watching and following. Please give me your comments, likes/dislikes, critique - I appreciate and welcome all of them. If you just want to drop in for a cup of coffee, Coffeethat's also fine by me! :)

Heinrich

@Pathfinder65 Thank you very much Jan! Working with a Kolderstok model is SO different. You will see when you get to the Duyfken, this is real building with real wood - and whilst frustrating at times because of the challenge - it is also immensely rewarding. Compared to this ship the Leudo was an exercise in assembly, not in building per se!

@Pathfinder65 Thank you very much Jan! Working with a Kolderstok model is SO different. You will see when you get to the Duyfken, this is real building with real wood - and whilst frustrating at times because of the challenge - it is also immensely rewarding. Compared to this ship the Leudo was an exercise in assembly, not in building per se!
Hi Heinrich,

I understand what you’re referring to, I was getting a little frustrated today trying to assemble, place and glue the transom on my Krick build. The two reference build plans and the physical piece just did not match. :mad::mad:, put everything back on the shelf, grabbed another Coffee and headed to the basement for some Railroad play.

Jan

Now the question is: Can I still build a model ship? ROTF I not bad at being an administrator, but a builder ... I am not so sure anymore! :)

Anyway. Here goes.

View attachment 196601

View attachment 196602
Starboard Side.

View attachment 196603

And THEN: It was time to cut away the bulwarks on the starboard side so that the cannons could go in on the main deck. I dreaded this exercise - just the idea of drilling holes and cutting something to smithereens that was absolutely perfect, gave me nightmares! Anyways ...

View attachment 196604

View attachment 196606

View attachment 196607

View attachment 196608

And now it's back to the Bluenose and the new development which has me SUPER-EXCITED!

Thank you all so much for watching and following. Please give me your comments, likes/dislikes, critique - I appreciate and welcome all of them. If you just want to drop in for a cup of coffee, Coffeethat's also fine by me! :)

Heinrich

Heinrich, nice to see you coming back to ship modeling.

I have a probably naive question related to my lack of real knowledge of ship parts.

What are those "kind off black carpets" that I see behind the cannons.

Cheers
Daniel

Anyway. Here goes.

View attachment 196601

View attachment 196602
Starboard Side.

View attachment 196603

View attachment 196604

View attachment 196606

View attachment 196607

View attachment 196608

Heinrich
Looking good!

Oh... I just saw also something new for me. The cannons kept in their carriage by a piece of wood instead of an iron bracket (is this the correct lingo. Oh man, I need to study more ship vocabulary :) )

Thank you .... and sorry for all my questions.

Daniel

@Dematosdg Hello Daniel. The "carpets' that you refer to are two, solid hatches that were covered with canvas. The picture below, shows the model of the Batavia built by Leensen on Modelbouwforum.

065.jpg

I was however, not too keen on the cloth coverings and chose a bamboo-like matting for my build.

Build 341.jpg

WeChat Image_20200715163245.jpg
An overview which puts the hatches in perspective.

I have not yet added the hooks and ropes, because the lifeboat or chaloup in Dutch, will be mounted above the hatches.

Build 359.jpg

Heinrich

@Dematosdg Hello Daniel. The "carpets' that you refer to are two, solid hatches that were covered with canvas. The picture below, shows the model of the Batavia built by Leensen on Modelbouwforum.

View attachment 196655

I was however, not too keen on the cloth coverings and chose a bamboo-like matting for my build.

View attachment 196654

View attachment 196656
An overview which puts the hatches in perspective.

I have not yet added the hooks and ropes, because the lifeboat or chaloup in Dutch, will be mounted above the hatches.

View attachment 196657

Heinrich

Thank you Heinrich for the detailed explanation!!!!

Best
Daniel

Back