VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

@Ken Dear Ken. Welcome to the build log - it is wonderful to have you here. Thank you so much for the kind words. Yes, the log does take up a lot of time, but I am very happy if it could have inspired a number of members on SOS to join in the fray of building Dutch ships - if not only the Batavia, then some other Kolderstok models as well. I will most certainly carry on in the same vein. About a month ago, she had me exhausted and with quite a few challenging bits ahead (which quite frankly, I still don't know how I will go about them) I walked away for a while to build the Leudo. But now ... it is time to resume the challenge!

Dear Heinrich...I really enjoy reading your build log...The letter is indeed a nice touch...Even though no one is (hopefully) ever going to read that letter, it gives the ship your imprint and you leave a little bit of yourself in your creation for eternity. Now, what about that water? Keep safe my friend.

@WarrLight Thank you for the kind words, Reggie. Yes, hopefully no one will discover the letter, but as you say, it is there for posterity. As far as the water is concerned - not good for drinking without boiling it - but great for rinsing cannons!

@Kolderstok Birthday-CakeExplosionBottleHAPPY BIRTHDAY ADMIRAL HANS! From my side I would just like to wish Hans van Nieuwkoop of Kolderstok Models a very Happy Birthday! Not only is Hans one of the best suppliers of models and accessories that you can find, but he has also become a great friend during the last year. Thank you for everything that you have done and for all the help Hans. May you and your loved ones enjoy the day and may there be many more!Beer

Love your work as usual, unfortunately I have to pack up , as I'm selling my house, will have to put my hobby on hold for a bit. Will watch your progress. Just a hint as to what I'm up to, my version of Batavia does have lights, which I've realised, adds WAY more planning/work. It's been an experience. See you all at the other end. There will be a build log, different but I'm looking forward to it. Will follow SOS , as always. Keep up the great work, Heinrich. I may update my HMS Revenge build, I'm at rigging stage, see how things go. Gotta love this hobby. I'm always looking at next ship when I have 2 on the table, I realise many people have more than that , great stuff.

@frankieg Thank you so much for the kind words. I missed you these last few posts but I do realise that you have had your hands very full. It is always sad to hear that a build has to be put on hold for whatever reason - and especially if it is the Batavia. I just love this ship. Please do update HMS Revenge if you have the opportunity. I have decided to forego the lighting part as other deviations in my build will take up most of my energy. I am hard at work on her - if all goes well, I should post shortly again. Keep well my friend and take care!

Hello my Dear Friends

It seems that whenever I plan to work on the Haarlem, something crops up! :) I had just started work on the interior bracing of the bulwarks, when the Bluenose just sailed right into my life! With that taking up the lion's share of my time during the last week, there was precious little time to work on my #1 build - but nevertheless, I have made some small progress. I actually feel guilty about how small - but here goes.

WeChat Image_20201104104445.jpg

WeChat Image_20201104104458.jpg

Even though it doesn't look like much, it is quite a time-consuming job. Each of those little spars has to be very carefully measured, cut to size (I use an X-Acto knife for that) and then glued into just the right spot at just the right angle. Of course the railing now needs to go on top of that, but I think I will first do the other side.

I also finished the 6 cannon carriages just so that I can get some idea of placement and of how it looks. Before the time, I was absolutely sure that they need to go onto the main deck area or in the "kuil" (in Dutch), but now I am not so sure anymore. I also placed them on the forecastle deck as per @Pathfinder65 Jan's suggestion, and they look good there. So guys tell me what you think. The first picture is of the cannons on the main deck and the second one on the forecastle deck.

WeChat Image_20201023045045.jpg

WeChat Image_20201023045034.jpg

Hopefully I can start tomorrow on the bracing of the port side, but for now - that is all.

Your comments, thoughts and criticisms are - as always - hugely appreciated. Thank you all so much for looking and for following.

Kind regards -Heinrich

Shes looking mighty fine Heinrich, I can appriciate the tedioud part. On the cannons Id say carry the weight low so main deck
is my vote, we dont need a tipsy ship... sailors sure but not the ship :p

With the note, thats freakin cool but if I did that it would feature an obscene hand jesture and worded as " Thanks for breakin my
boat you #^$%% *&%(&^$(** !! "

Maybe I should go take more anti aggressive meds lol

Heinrich,

It might be tedious work but your end results look excellent. For ship stability in heavy seas I would now vote for four cannons on the main deck and two on the forecastle.

Jan

Very nice planking there. Any idea why plank where in that way and not just flat. Nevertheless it is what it is and looks great.... and a lot of work well done !!!

As said previously about the cannons,
my vote goes to placing them at the deck. I just like them there. I do not have any technical or historical excuse. I just like them there.

Cheers
Daniel
Ps: What is that comment about the Bluenose? Will you start that one too ?

Hello my Dear Friends

It seems that whenever I plan to work on the Haarlem, something crops up! :) I had just started work on the interior bracing of the bulwarks, when the Bluenose just sailed right into my life! With that taking up the lion's share of my time during the last week, there was precious little time to work on my #1 build - but nevertheless, I have made some small progress. I actually feel guilty about how small - but here goes.

View attachment 189633

View attachment 189634

Even though it doesn't look like much, it is quite a time-consuming job. Each of those little spars has to be very carefully measured, cut to size (I use an X-Acto knife for that) and then glued into just the right spot at just the right angle. Of course the railing now needs to go on top of that, but I think I will first do the other side.

I also finished the 6 cannon carriages just so that I can get some idea of placement and of how it looks. Before the time, I was absolutely sure that they need to go onto the main deck area or in the "kuil" (in Dutch), but now I am not so sure anymore. I also placed them on the forecastle deck as per @Pathfinder65 Jan's suggestion, and they look good there. So guys tell me what you think. The first picture is of the cannons on the main deck and the second one on the forecastle deck.

View attachment 189635

View attachment 189636

Hopefully I can start tomorrow on the bracing of the port side, but for now - that is all.

Your comments, thoughts and criticisms are - as always - hugely appreciated. Thank you all so much for looking and for following.

Kind regards -Heinrich
This is such a unique ship and it is going to look great! The little details are what brings it to life, keep up the good work!
About the cannons... the main deck looks a bit crowded with them, I might opt for the forecastle deck for that reason. I wouldn't rule out the suggestion of splitting them up between the two either.

Back