VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Haven't looked at your beautiful build for awhile. Looking really nice. Just processing everything you've done in the last month or so. Even the discussion on paints is great. Keep up the awesome work. Many challenges to go.

So without any further ado and with the Leudo taking a rest, let's bring back the BIG BOY!

Build 379.jpg

Just prior to completely closing the hull, this leaflet (citing a brief summary and description was inserted - on a Kolderstok notepad paper of course).

WeChat Image_20200826130435.jpg

Work on the gun cannon construction started by constructing the gun carriages.

WeChat Image_20201022061845.jpg

And while waiting for the glue to dry, I started the process of blackening the cannons.

WeChat Image_20201022061653.jpg
First - the obligatory bath in acetone.

WeChat Image_20201022061658.jpg
Washed and dried.

WeChat Image_20201022061647.jpg
After the first step, this was how they came out. far too shiny and new for cannons that we know from history have actually worked - and worked a lot at Murmagao.

So back they went into the solution for a second time after which they were rinsed in a highly secretive solution - only available in China! ROTF An now I am VERY happy with the patina achieved.

WeChat Image_20201022061521.jpg

WeChat Image_20201022061538.jpg
That is all for now my dear friends.

As always, your likes, comments and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Kind regards - Heinrich

Well I'm now busy with a little something that will deal with those robots nicely!:) So hopefully, the letter remains unread.

@Pathfinder65 Jan, no mystery here. The "little something" to deal with Daniel's robots, simply refer to the cannon construction of the Haarlem! :) And the "letter" is the little note that I have enclosed in the hull.

@Pathfinder65 Jan, no mystery here. The "little something" to deal with Daniel's robots, simply refer to the cannon construction of the Haarlem! :) And the "letter" is the little note that I have enclosed in the hull.
Excellent, I now realize the connection. Little slow on the uptake on that one. “I’ll be back” is my favorite Terminator line.

Hello Heinrich, I’ve just spent a very pleasant hour reading up on your log. I must say what a thorough, well thought out and professionally presented log, one that you’re almost compelled to read. I know how much time it takes so thanks for doing this for us and please continue.

ken

So without any further ado and with the Leudo taking a rest, let's bring back the BIG BOY!

View attachment 186887

Just prior to completely closing the hull, this leaflet (citing a brief summary and description was inserted - on a Kolderstok notepad paper of course).

View attachment 186886

Work on the gun cannon construction started by constructing the gun carriages.

View attachment 186889

And while waiting for the glue to dry, I started the process of blackening the cannons.

View attachment 186891
First - the obligatory bath in acetone.

View attachment 186892
Washed and dried.

View attachment 186893
After the first step, this was how they came out. far too shiny and new for cannons that we know from history have actually worked - and worked a lot at Murmagao.

So back they went into the solution for a second time after which they were rinsed in a highly secretive solution - only available in China! ROTF An now I am VERY happy with the patina achieved.

View attachment 186894

View attachment 186895
That is all for now my dear friends.

As always, your likes, comments and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Kind regards - Heinrich
Nice to see your note in Afrikaans. They should have done that in the real vessel, would make your job a whole lot easier.

Back