VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Hello everyone. Further progress on the Haarlem.

View attachment 210771

Toilets (gemakken in Dutch) for the galleon made and installed. When I sent my mother - she is 84 and following along - the picture, she wanted to know if it was done just like this - "so out in the open! :) ). The rope that was used as toilet paper, still needs to be added.

View attachment 210772

Belaying racks and pins for the galleon installed. On the rack in front, the really initiated will spot a deviation from the plans. I was supposed to use only 9 belaying pins, but symmetrically, that did not appeal to me - thus I used 10.

View attachment 210776

Bending the walnut for the top railing of the galleon was not an easy exercise - even with a plank bender. As each builder's curvature on the bow will vary to some extent, you can't possibly know if you have done it right, until the ornaments are fitted. Only then will you see if your curvature was correct. You will also notice that I cut away too much of my hull planking at the luizenplecht area leaving me now with an unsightly gap. Here, I still need to figure out a plan.

View attachment 210777

Luckily grumpy old man #1 fitted perfectly. At this stage of the build they have just received their primary colour - wash will be added later.

View attachment 210778

And now the Grumpy Old Men picture is completed! The two catheads have had the slots for their sheaves cut, but are just lying loose on the foredeck at this stage. Onwards with the belaying racks and pins.

View attachment 210779

From the plans, I cut the drawing in question and then glue that to the piece of the wood is that is to become the rack. Photo copying plans have given me one or two nasty surprises in the past. So, apologies for your plans @Kolderstok Hans - after I'm done building, they don't like that good anymore.

View attachment 210780

I first drilled a pilot hole with a hand drill before enlarging the holes in a further two stages. Even then - the walnut was susceptible to cracking down the middle.

And here are the results:

View attachment 210781

On the half-deck starboard side.

View attachment 210782
Forecastle Port Side

View attachment 210783

Forecastle starboard side.

View attachment 210784

Forecastle - starboard side viewed from the side.

And lastly, a few pictures of the overall view:

View attachment 210785

View attachment 210786

View attachment 210787

View attachment 210788

And that my dear friends, conclude my news for today. Thank you all for watching, following, commenting, advising, or just being here - it is all apprecaited and valued.

Take care out there and stay safe.

Kind regards -Heinrich
Great progress Heinrich! You’re busier than a one armed paper hanger! ;)
Rope for TP? Ouch!
She’s really coming alive now!

@Dean62 Thank you for the kind words Dean. My "real" busy has been behind the scenes lately. All you guys are doing so well and are going such great guns in your respective Bluenose builds that the time has come to start to the development of the next model. Unbeknown to most, that process has already started and I can tell you that the world of plans, copyrights and permission is a dark and ominous place. I have told @Pathfinder65 Jan last night, I have in my possession four sets of plans - all beautifully detailed of unmodeled (as kits) ships. Three of these plan sets were bought and one was a precious gift (thank you @Maarten !).

However, mention the words "permission for KIT PRODUCTION" and all of a sudden - out of nowhere - every Tom, Dick and Harry has a claim of copyright on those plans.

Great progress Heinrich! You’re busier than a one armed paper hanger! ;)
Rope for TP? Ouch!
She’s really coming alive now!
Rope is better then the Poison Ivy I have seen unwitting young scouts pick when stuck in woods and taking care of nature!

Never underestimate the need for proper paperwork when hiking in the woods.

@Dean62 Thank you for the kind words Dean. My "real" busy has been behind the scenes lately. All you guys are doing so well and are going such great guns in your respective Bluenose builds that the time has come to start to the development of the next model. Unbeknown to most, that process has already started and I can tell you that the world of plans, copyrights and permission is a dark and ominous place. I have told @Pathfinder65 Jan last night, I have in my possession four sets of plans - all beautifully detailed of unmodeled (as kits) ships. Three of these plan sets were bought and one was a precious gift (thank you @Maarten !).

However, mention the words "permission for KIT PRODUCTION" and all of a sudden - out of nowhere - every Tom, Dick and Harry has a claim of copyright on those plans.
I’m excited about the possibilities! You have my interest!
As far as patents go, I develop new products and deal with patent attorneys on a regular basis! Not only are they expensive, but necessary. They will do an exhaustive search and see if your design violates any existing prior patents. And if they do, they can tell you what areas can be changed to get around existing claims! ;) That’s their expertise!
As far as copyrights go, I don’t have much experience, but once again an attorney can lead you in the right direction to avoid legal litigation. Their fee obviously depends on the amount of work involved. Same thing applies, they search for existing art that is copyrighted and see if yours violates that. If so, sometimes changes can be the solution. But on ship plans, if historical accuracy plays a part, making changes may be undesirable?

I will give you guys a practical example. I have a Planset (let's call it Planset A) which was created by XXX. Seeing that XXX passed away, I contacted his son to find out whether the family holds any copyright or licence on the plans. He is the biggest gentleman imaginable and assures me that there is no such claim from the family's side - they are all very excited to see the legacy of his father continued.

No the creator of these plans (XXX) was in the employ of a VERY reputable organization while he drafted those plans. We will call them Organization B. Just to be safe, I contacted Organization B who had no objections to the plans being used by individual modellers for scratch building. As soon as I mentioned kit production, the whole issue was referred to their legal department.

To their credit, Organization B comes back and say that "actually they don't hold any rights". Investigating the matter, they discovered that the legal claim to those plans lie with the PUBLISHER of the plans!

Now I am awaiting their response.

@Kkonrath Hi Kurt. The rope was called a "zwabber" (I think) in Dutch and consisted of a very frayed end which was used for the wiping purposes! :D Once used, the rope would simply be lowered back into the water where the sea would do the necessary cleaning.

gPICT0515.jpg

Note the rope in question.

Thank you for the rope detailed explanation. Seen the picture and the rope being washed in the ocean, I remembered how much I have been missing the Bidets since I landed in USA. In USA the houses do not have Bidets installed. The ship rope system is a cleaning and water washing design all together. A real precursor of the Bidets.

The only part missing on the rope design is .... the warm water :)

Cheers
Daniel

I will give you guys a practical example. I have a Planset (let's call it Planset A) which was created by XXX. Seeing that XXX passed away, I contacted his son to find out whether the family holds any copyright or licence on the plans. He is the biggest gentleman imaginable and assures me that there is no such claim from the family's side - they are all very excited to see the legacy of his father continued.

No the creator of these plans (XXX) was in the employ of a VERY reputable organization while he drafted those plans. We will call them Organization B. Just to be safe, I contacted Organization B who had no objections to the plans being used by individual modellers for scratch building. As soon as I mentioned kit production, the whole issue was referred to their legal department.

To their credit, Organization B comes back and say that "actually they don't hold any rights". Investigating the matter, they discovered that the legal claim to those plans lie with the PUBLISHER of the plans!

Incredible, what a process to go through. once all that is completed and a kit results, who then holds the patents//licenses?

Jan

@Kkonrath Hi Kurt. The rope was called a "zwabber" (I think) in Dutch and consisted of a very frayed end which was used for the wiping purposes! :D Once used, the rope would simply be lowered back into the water where the sea would do the necessary cleaning.

View attachment 211009

Note the rope in question.

:D Now, that is a great piece of historical information. I showed it to my Admiral. I bet you can guess her reaction:D

Jan

It is a black pool with no bottom. Hope the publisher will grant his OK.

@Pathfinder65 Jan, as to who hold the licenses, that all depends on the agreement reached with the kit manufacturer - so there is no hard or fast rule. It does beg the question though: How many kits are actually legal on the market with proper licensing and copyright ? After my discoveries of the last month - and it takes a good deal of surface scratching - I can assure you - not many.

Hello everyone. Further progress on the Haarlem.

View attachment 210771

Toilets (gemakken in Dutch) for the galleon made and installed. When I sent my mother - she is 84 and following along - the picture, she wanted to know if it was done just like this - "so out in the open! :) ). The rope that was used as toilet paper, still needs to be added.

View attachment 210772

Belaying racks and pins for the galleon installed. On the rack in front, the really initiated will spot a deviation from the plans. I was supposed to use only 9 belaying pins, but symmetrically, that did not appeal to me - thus I used 10.

View attachment 210776

Bending the walnut for the top railing of the galleon was not an easy exercise - even with a plank bender. As each builder's curvature on the bow will vary to some extent, you can't possibly know if you have done it right, until the ornaments are fitted. Only then will you see if your curvature was correct. You will also notice that I cut away too much of my hull planking at the luizenplecht area leaving me now with an unsightly gap. Here, I still need to figure out a plan.

View attachment 210777

Luckily grumpy old man #1 fitted perfectly. At this stage of the build they have just received their primary colour - wash will be added later.

View attachment 210778

And now the Grumpy Old Men picture is completed! The two catheads have had the slots for their sheaves cut, but are just lying loose on the foredeck at this stage. Onwards with the belaying racks and pins.

View attachment 210779

From the plans, I cut the drawing in question and then glue that to the piece of the wood is that is to become the rack. Photo copying plans have given me one or two nasty surprises in the past. So, apologies for your plans @Kolderstok Hans - after I'm done building, they don't like that good anymore.

View attachment 210780

I first drilled a pilot hole with a hand drill before enlarging the holes in a further two stages. Even then - the walnut was susceptible to cracking down the middle.

And here are the results:

View attachment 210781

On the half-deck starboard side.

View attachment 210782
Forecastle Port Side

View attachment 210783

Forecastle starboard side.

View attachment 210784

Forecastle - starboard side viewed from the side.

And lastly, a few pictures of the overall view:

View attachment 210785

View attachment 210786

View attachment 210787

View attachment 210788

And that my dear friends, conclude my news for today. Thank you all for watching, following, commenting, advising, or just being here - it is all apprecaited and valued.

Take care out there and stay safe.

Kind regards -Heinrich
Love the scrollwork in the beakhead, the golden colour just sets it apart. Cheers.

Hello Everyone.

The good news is that tomorrow is Chinese New Year. That means I have leave until the 17th of February. Hey, I know it's not much, but it's better than nothing.

In my last post you will remember that I showed the catheads just lying loose on the foredeck. So now it was a case of making sheaves. Without power tools this becomes an interesting little exercise. Looking around for anything that was round and could remotely resemble a "wooden circle", the answer came to me during a sleepless night. Chopsticks !!! ROTF There were sawed into as thin discs as I could without breaking them and sanded smooth on a flat piece of sandpaper.

微信图片_20210209150649.jpg

I present my chopstick sheaves!

微信图片_20210209150605.jpg
Inserted - I was quite happy with how they looked.

微信图片_20210209150625.jpg

The catheads were then thinned down - from where they lie flush on the deck, stained with Kolderstok's Dark Oak (water-based) and glued to the deck. Finally, I could put Kolderstok's nails to good effect.

微信图片_20210210175254.jpg

Next up was the capstan which went together very nicely. Instead of being adventurous and painting the Dutch colours myself, I opted to go with the kit-supplied decal. If it fades with time - so be it - I'm sure that would have been the case on the original ship as well. By the way, the rounded top of the capstan comes from the Leudo's capstan. For my sins of not painting the capstan myself, I did add the contraption (I have no idea what it is called - Nor in Dutch, nor English) that "locks" the capstan from moving. Necessary on the Haarlem, because I have a fully-functioning (rotating) capstan! :)

微信图片_20210210175322.jpg

The crane-or penter bars were next to go onto the foredeck and required a fair amount of calculation of angles and careful measuring to get just right.

微信图片_20210210175332.jpg

微信图片_20210210175339.jpg

A new interpretation on the Flying Dutchman? What do you think @flying_dutchman2 Marcus?

I also started assembling the Port Side gallery.

微信图片_20210209150658.jpg

If this looks somewhat confusing - just wait 。。。

微信图片_20210209150642.jpg

微信图片_20210210175249.jpg

A quick dab of rattlecan Red with the Black sideskirt added.

微信图片_20210210175309.jpg

And a dry-fit onto the ship.

微信图片_20210210175351.jpg

This picture is most significant. The gap between the black sideskirt and the yellow decorative strip at the stern measures EXACTLY 1mm !!!! Thumbsup This gents is a dry-fit without any sanding, removing of wales or any attempt to get it to fit into place. It is simply hung from the top wale. That is how accurately this ship was built and how symmetrical the planking and wale heights are. Kudos @Kolderstok Hans! If the builder delivers, the kit delivers.

With that my dear friends, it is all for now. Work will continue with the rest of the deck fittings and the planking of the side gallery.

From my side - a Very Happy Chinese New Year to you all and may the Year of the Ox be a bullish one! :D

Kind regards - Heinrich

@shota70 Hello my dear friend. Thank you for your very kind words - they are much appreciated. I miss you continuing your build on the Friesland. I know that Hannah is occupying all your time, but don't forget the Friesland! :)

Back