VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Thank you very much for the kind words @Dean62 Dean, it is much appreciated! One of the top builders on the Dutch forum, has pointed out that my ropes are too thick, so I will have to do redo those. One is never finished. :eek:

@Dean62 Dean believe me. When Piet Sanders makes a suggestion, anyone wise enough, will listen with both ears peaked. His experience and model building abilities are both phenomenal. In fact there are a number of builders on the Dutch site which sets standards in everything they do.

This what his sloop of the Bounty looks like - absolute simplicity; absolute perfection - masterclass in understatement!

JPG_0402_5587_bewerkt-1.jpg

JPG_0407_5592_bewerkt-1.jpg

Hello Everyone

Quiet does not mean no building - on the contrary.

Some time ago I showed how the side galleries were assembled and showed the Port side one dry-fitted. The planking of the side galleries is divided into two parts - an upper part which is planked with overlapping planks and which is painted the green and a lower side which is planked in a conventional way and then painted black. The tricky part with the lower planking is that in contrast to the upper part, there are no square or angled corners - everything needs to be rounded. It's almost like planking one half of a lifeboat to give you a size comparison.

微信图片_20210318152738.jpg

The lower section of the side gallery planked, rounded and painted black. This was an enormously important exercise to me because this would no show how me how symmetrical the two sides are. It would now also give me the opportunity of planking the “bolle wulf" or concave part of the stern.

微信图片_20210317151212.jpg

After the planking had joined the two sides, it was sanded, painted with my Danish Flugger primer, sanded down, painted again, sanded down again and finally painted with the Kolderstok black paint. Let's just say that I was extremely pleased with how that all turned out. No adjustments were needed at all and everything lined up the way that it should.

Following that - of course I had to start playing.

微信图片_20210318154416.jpg

The first stern decorations went on ...

微信图片_20210318102909.jpg

Followed by the second set ...

微信图片_20210318140452.jpg

And the third ... which is where the shipyard will close its doors for the night.

Thank you all so much for watching, following, reading, commenting or doing whatever you would like to do. It is sincerely appreciated and most welcome!

Warmest greetings to you all - Heinrich

@Kolderstok Hello Hans. I am very proud of my curtain! :) In real life, that colour just jumps out and it looks like a real curtain hanging there! I didn't have the guts to attempt the little angels. They can remain in heaven! ROTF

Heinrich,
I am a bit hesitating to let you know that Dutch ships had two auxiliary vessels: a 'chaloup' for transporting people (round stem and stern, flat counter with side boards, carvel bottom, clinker sides, length 4/5 of the 'boot', mostly stored on deck, see picture 1 and 2) and a 'boot' (made for transport of goods and other heavy duties, round bow and stern, flat bottomed with no keel, clinker sides, length equal to the beam of the ship, or 1/4 of its length, with a windlass for bringing out the anchor and the possibility to sail, mostly towed with a rope coming through one of the 'cardinals hats' near the gun ports in the stern, see picture 3 and 4). Here are some Delftship impressions:

View attachment 167539

All and all: it does not seem a good idea to 'borrow' a longboat out of another tradition of sailing.
If necessary I can supply you with lines plans, just let me know.
Ab
Ab,
I have a question about this boat. What are the measurements of these planks on the hull. Now I'm building one in scale 1/75 and the planks I use are 5 mm (in real between 35-40 cm) so it will looks like your drawing with 6 planks.

Sorry Heinrich to ask this in your thread

Ooookaaaayyy ... so I lied. The shipyard was not QUITE closed ...

View attachment 221556

You will see that there are still few spots that need to be touched up, but that is tomorrow's baby!

H
Very beautiful Heinrich.
I would only slightly rotate the statues that they follow the lines of the ship, this means the middle statues are nearly straight up but the outer ones are slightly tilted. Doing this will boost the view of the lines of the ship.
7f8d7591f1675a7cd65162f97b90c602.jpg

@Maarten Hello Maarten. Thank you very much for that input. I thought I did that (it was the idea), but on my pics I have seen that it is simply not enough. I will make the adjustment accordingly. Thank you! Thumbsup

And finally ... after my third attempt. I am happy to show the world how I believe a 17th Century Dutch lifeboat (chaloup) should look. :)

View attachment 219409
View attachment 219410

View attachment 219412

View attachment 219413

And on the ship.

View attachment 219414

View attachment 219415

Heinrich
Hopefully there are no youngsters about who may see this as the perfect bath floaty boaty toy while waiting for an adult to come and complete there washing and drying off before catching a cold from playing too long with such a wonderful imaginary voyage venture. ;-) Well done and secured in on the deck. Rich

Back