VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

NIce work and a very etherial painting to enjoy. Rich (PT-2)
Thanks Rich. It is nice to be working on the big ship again. I'm glad you enjoyed the painting. That painting will play a big role in model building.

This is looking good, slow and steady wins the race!
Hi Kurt. Yes, "slow and not always steady" is what works best for me on the Haarlem. This model requires intense concentration (given my abilities) so after a month or two, I just have to step away again.

Looks like a Dutch ship with a lateen sail in the rear. It’s green like the Batavia, but the transom isn’t as high or ornate.
Hi Vic. It is the Batavia!!! ROTF I am scratch-building certain parts and modifying certain things to turn her into the Haarlem though. The Haarlem being Dutch, explains the green upper bulwarks. The only reason why he transom seems less ornate, is because there are still a ton of things that need to be fitted. I am not probably not even half way with the transom yet.

Hi Vic. It is the Batavia!!! ROTF I am scratch-building certain parts and modifying certain things to turn her into the Haarlem though. The Haarlem being Dutch, explains the green upper bulwarks. The only reason why he transom seems less ornate, is because there are still a ton of things that need to be fitted. I am not probably not even half way with the transom yet.
I am interested in a translation of the ship's name including VOC ?????? Thanks for a translation. Rich

I am interested in a translation of the ship's name including VOC ?????? Thanks for a translation. Rich
Rich if you have a squizz at the beginning of my build log, you will find the full background and history to the Haarlem and why I am building it. Haarlem is simply the name of a town in the Netherlands and VOC stands for Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie. (Dutch East Trading Company).

A lot of history in WA , Fremantle , the atrocious behaviour on the ‘Batavia’ the skull of this poor soul shows the sable cut , there is a fantastic book by Peter Fitzsimmons about the Batavia , my seafaring ancestors came from the Island of Texel , where the vessel originally departed , she sailed using the roaring forties in the Southern Ocean ( The famous Brouwer Route) , but left it too late to turn north heading for Sunda Strait hence a casualty at sea .
I am still finding out my ancestry relations to Brouwer , so there might be a famous connection , who knows .

123744F3-533B-47F3-A041-F3C06F41AFF2.jpeg59F8409B-2F98-48F5-8271-8ECB32C2CE96.jpegD41ACAC5-7475-4043-821A-AE6C7A5322B8.jpegC981255E-77F9-4D4E-A011-9FC2EF0559B4.jpeg

Fascinating information and pictures @Robertd Rob! Yes, the Batavia story is not a happy one - in the end all brought about by man's greed of money! You are spot on with Texel being the main departure point from the Netherlands to the East. The Haarlem at least had a much longer and more successful life. Ironically, her floundering off the Cape Coast in 1647, was probably the most direct influence on the Cape of Good Hope being established which subsequently led to what now know as South Africa!

A lot of history in WA , Fremantle , the atrocious behaviour on the ‘Batavia’ the skull of this poor soul shows the sable cut , there is a fantastic book by Peter Fitzsimmons about the Batavia , my seafaring ancestors came from the Island of Texel , where the vessel originally departed , she sailed using the roaring forties in the Southern Ocean ( The famous Brouwer Route) , but left it too late to turn north heading for Sunda Strait hence a casualty at sea .
I am still finding out my ancestry relations to Brouwer , so there might be a famous connection , who knows .
Once you start reading this book , you cannot put it down !

26238DFC-5FFD-4BBA-8A35-C7F6759E3435.jpeg

Rich if you have a squizz at the beginning of my build log, you will find the full background and history to the Haarlem and why I am building it. Haarlem is simply the name of a town in the Netherlands and VOC stands for Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie. (Dutch East Trading Company).
Verenigde sounds like the German Vereinigte as in Vereinigte Staaten (United States). Would that be like United East Indian Company?

Last edited:
Verenigde sounds like the German Vereinigte as in Veereinigte Staaten (United States). Would that be like United East Indian Company?
Basically, yes, Vic.

Have a look:

The Dutch East India Company, called the Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie or VOC in Dutch, was a company whose main purpose was trade, exploration, and colonization throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. It was created in 1602 and lasted until 1800. It is considered to be one of the first and most successful international corporations. At its height, the Dutch East India Company established headquarters in many different countries, had a monopoly over the spice trade and it had semi-governmental powers in that it was able to begin wars, prosecute convicts, negotiate treaties and establish colonies.

10453130_0.jpg

Basically, yes, Vic.

Have a look:

The Dutch East India Company, called the Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie or VOC in Dutch, was a company whose main purpose was trade, exploration, and colonization throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. It was created in 1602 and lasted until 1800. It is considered to be one of the first and most successful international corporations. At its height, the Dutch East India Company established headquarters in many different countries, had a monopoly over the spice trade and it had semi-governmental powers in that it was able to begin wars, prosecute convicts, negotiate treaties and establish colonies.

View attachment 249380
Known under the initials VOC (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie), the Dutch East India Company would be worth about $7.8 trillion today. Founded in 1602, it accomplished globalist capitalism some 400 years before everyone else did. It began as a shipping company — with a 21 year monopoly on the Dutch spice market — before branching into almost every aspect of the spice trade, from production to consumer sales, while still keeping a massive footprint in the shipping industry at large for more than 100 years. But this success came at a massive moral cost: they exploited foreign workers, imprisoned many, and benefitted hugely from the slave trade. But for that 100 years, VOC was a gargantuan presence around the world. They controlled armadas of ships that were able to fight off navies and take territories, an impressive feat for a privately held company (imagine if Arby's began to take over entire city blocks).

You could probably say that the very idea of globalism stems from the VOC. Europeans wanted spices and textiles from Asia, but Asia didn't want very much in return except for precious metals — which Portugal and Spain had in abundance at the time. Paraphrasing here for the sake of brevity, the VOC created a hugely profitable trade corridor between Asia and Europe. And from around 1620 to 1630, the VOC used profits to reinvest in itself, becoming exponentially bigger in the process., not only that Heinrich they where the first one to trade shares on the stock exchange ( Amsterdamse Beurs)

Known under the initials VOC (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie), the Dutch East India Company would be worth about $7.8 trillion today. Founded in 1602, it accomplished globalist capitalism some 400 years before everyone else did. It began as a shipping company — with a 21 year monopoly on the Dutch spice market — before branching into almost every aspect of the spice trade, from production to consumer sales, while still keeping a massive footprint in the shipping industry at large for more than 100 years. But this success came at a massive moral cost: they exploited foreign workers, imprisoned many, and benefitted hugely from the slave trade. But for that 100 years, VOC was a gargantuan presence around the world. They controlled armadas of ships that were able to fight off navies and take territories, an impressive feat for a privately held company (imagine if Arby's began to take over entire city blocks).

You could probably say that the very idea of globalism stems from the VOC. Europeans wanted spices and textiles from Asia, but Asia didn't want very much in return except for precious metals — which Portugal and Spain had in abundance at the time. Paraphrasing here for the sake of brevity, the VOC created a hugely profitable trade corridor between Asia and Europe. And from around 1620 to 1630, the VOC used profits to reinvest in itself, becoming exponentially bigger in the process., not only that Heinrich they where the first one to trade shares on the stock exchange ( Amsterdamse Beurs)
Kind of like Amazon?

That is a beautiful model and one to emulate but you can leave screaming skull out of the diorama when done. o_O Rich PT-2)

@PT-2 Don't worry Rich. I have to check my data, but I don't believe many lives were lost when the Haarlem floundered. In fact the 60 people who remained behind (on purpose) were the pioneers who sent such favorable reports of the Cape of Good Hope back to the VOC, that they decided to start the Halfway Station there. That led to a full-scale colonization by the Dutch - and in effect - led to the beginning of South Africa. So ... no screaming skulls on the Haarlem :D

@PT-2 Don't worry Rich. I have to check my data, but I don't believe many lives were lost when the Haarlem floundered. In fact the 60 people who remained behind (on purpose) were the pioneers who sent such favorable reports of the Cape of Good Hope back to the VOC, that they decided to start the Halfway Station there. That led to a full-scale colonization by the Dutch - and in effect - led to the beginning of South Africa. So ... no screaming skulls on the Haarlem :D
So now I get the South Africa/Afrikaans connection for you.

I have wondered why most Dutch sailing vessels has high levels of ornate decoration on them.

Not being familiar with the Dutch culture or ship construction. Seem like it would have added time and cost to building of the ships.

Kurt

I have wondered why most Dutch sailing vessels has high levels of ornate decoration on them.

Not being familiar with the Dutch culture or ship construction. Seem like it would have added time and cost to building of the ships.

Kurt
They where smart to combine. Most of the carving where useful. And have next to a decoration function also a function to the ship. Like belayingpoints and stuff like that.
Also they didn't use gold leaf to their decorations, but a yellow paint that looks in a distance like gold in the sun.
Not everything is gold that shines. We say in Dutch

They where smart to combine. Most of the carving where useful. And have next to a decoration function also a function to the ship. Like belayingpoints and stuff like that.
Also they didn't use gold leaf to their decorations, but a yellow paint that looks in a distance like gold in the sun.
Not everything is gold that shines. We say in Dutch
The Dutch I used to live near in New York always said, "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much!"

Back