VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

@frankieg Hi Frankie. It is GREAT to hear from you my friend - on my build logs you never have to apologize for "butting in" - you are most welcome. Thank you very much for the objective comments on Peter Fitzsimons's work as well as mentioning "Islands of Angry Ghosts", by Hugh Edwards as a further title. The one definitive book on a subject is always very difficult to find, so having more than one resource is always a good thing.

And then the pictures of the Batavia's longboat: They are simply INCREDIBLE! Thumbsup These are by far the best pictures I have ever seen and will be an invaluable asset to anyone ever wishing to build the longboat.

Just as a means of clarification on the subject. Most of these Dutch ships came with two "small" boats. The smaller one of the two is accurately called a "chaloup" or "sloep" in Dutch. In English it is often referred to as a "skiff" but I am not sure how accurate or correct that is. The chaloup was stored onboard and was propelled by means of oars. The longboat on the other hand (the subject of your pictures) was towed behind the vessel and could also also use sails as means of motive power. Both these types of smaller boats were extremely hardy and on both the Batavia and the Haarlem they played major roles in providing a means for survival.

@Ab Hoving has researched both types extensively and has drawn beautiful and highly accurate plans of both types for the scratch-builder.
Thank you Heinrich, I was excited about the opportunity to take these pics and you have a great following on your build. Another version of the book is by Mike Dash : Batavia's Graveyard. Cheers

@frankieg The pictures were wonderful. I have already posted them on the Dutch Model Building Forum as well where they are just as much appreciated. Yes, I have a great following for which I am very thankful.

I need all the encouragement I can get, because for the last three days just nothing went right in the shipyard! :(

@frankieg The pictures were wonderful. I have already posted them on the Dutch Model Building Forum as well where they are just as much appreciated. Yes, I have a great following for which I am very thankful.

I need all the encouragement I can get, because for the last three days just nothing went right in the shipyard! :(
That's great , a replica is always a great reference for builders, so glad I'm helping out. Cheers, Heinrich.

Hello All

In my available time, planking continues ...

View attachment 156414

The last two planks on port-and starboard sides were laid down on the existing building board-format, before it became time to alter the board.

View attachment 156415

The aluminium clamps were removed and replaced with the Kolderstok-supplied one. NOTE: This is not the Kolderstok stand on which the ship will finally be mounted. That is an altogether different kettle of fish ... but ... only to be enjoyed much later ...

View attachment 156416

My Seaducer's custom stand proved ideal to flip over the Batavia and commence the planking from the keel.

View attachment 156418

Inbetween, the fully-restored 1935 Bowman Swallow steamboat also received attention as she was readied for an activity on model shipbuilding that I have this weekend with my students.

View attachment 156419

And this is where we are with the Haarlem.

View attachment 156420

There is light at the end of the planking tunnel ...

View attachment 156421

Close-up of the bow.

Thank you for all watching and following - comments and criticisms are appreciated.

Kind regards - Heinrich
Hi Heinrich,

Loved that your admiral gave you a hand in a previous post. Thumbsup

You have an interesting and quite varied small collection of boats and well done on getting an activity happening with your students.

Lovely planking as well.

Cheers,
Stephen.

But that's the thing ... it doesn't have a name. It's like the sampan - nameless.

Details:

1:36 scale
POF
Pear wood
The fact that the ship or boat is referred to as a Sampan...means the name or nomenclature for it, is Sampan. In that sense, everything has a name...lol. Because if I say the Sampan, you know what I am talking about. So this ship, boat or vessel, you are going to build is referred to as a... ??? ;)

Sampan? Can’t wait, Heinrich!
The Sampan is finished Vic. shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/yangtze-river-high-net-fishing-sampan-completed-build.7852/

The new model will be very different. Hopefully I can have more detail next week but you will have to look under the scratch-build section!

Sampan? Can’t wait, Heinrich!

Let's try that link once more!

Dear Friends

So, for the last two weeks I have been busy on the bowsprit.

微信图片_20210815153543.jpg

Bending and securing the ring around the bowsprit top was not a task that I would wish upon my greatest enemy - trying to keep the circumference correct whilst the only points of adhesion are 12 x 1mm little spar tips, was not easy.

微信图片_20210815152557.jpg

微信图片_20210815152607.jpg

With that done the main part of the bowsprit could be stained and the the rest of the masts scratch-built.

微信图片_20210815152613.jpg

The Admiral could apply her magic once more and did so by wrapping the windings around the bowsprit.

微信图片_20210817192058.jpg

The deadeyes attached. When I looked at this picture, there was this gnawing feeling where this whole effort is heading!:(

微信图片_20210818234430.jpg

Deadeyes secured and anchored to the main bowsprit shaft itself.

微信图片_20210820162557.jpg

Then a final look at the whole assembly from some distance. :mad::mad::mad: And decision made ...

微信图片_20210822120918.jpg

Dustbin!

Thank you all for looking and following. I sincerely hope that your builds are going better than mine at the moment!

Dear Friends

View attachment 251905

Bending and securing the ring around the bowsprit top was not a task that I would wish upon my greatest enemy - trying to keep the circumference correct whilst the only points of adhesion are 12 x 1mm little spar tips, was not easy.

View attachment 251906

View attachment 251907

With that done the main part of the bowsprit could be stained and the the rest of the masts scratch-built.

View attachment 251908

The Admiral could apply her magic once more and did so by wrapping the windings around the bowsprit.

View attachment 251909

The deadeyes attached. When I looked at this picture, there was this gnawing feeling where this whole effort is heading!:(

View attachment 251910

View attachment 251911

Then a final look at the whole assembly from some distance. :mad::mad::mad: And decision made ...

View attachment 251912

Dustbin!

Thank you all for looking and following. I sincerely hope that your builds are going better than mine at the moment!
Wow! Didn’t see that coming! Hope your second attempt yields a satisfactory result!

@Dean62 I will wait a little before I do anything else, Dean! Right now the mood in Nantong is like Shakespeare would say a "foul" one.

Dear Friends

View attachment 251905

View attachment 251906

View attachment 251907

View attachment 251908

View attachment 251909

View attachment 251910

View attachment 251911

View attachment 251912

Dustbin!

Yikes! I know the feeling. Some days I want to just give up take up golf. And I hate golf!

@Vfordyce Yes Vic. I am sure that it is a feeling that we all have had. It would have been an injustice to the Haarlem if that bowsprit passed QC.

Back