VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Once you start reading this book , you cannot put it down !
Just going to butt in here, so sorry Heinrich and Robert, i've been away for a while, still in temporary accommodation, have sporadically been following. Anywho, I've read this book, by Peter Fitzsimons, it's fascinating, although he was critisized for adding his own interpretation, although he stated in the foreword of the book , that he filled in the parts that were unknown, he researched extensively. He has written many books this way and does his research. Another is "islands of Angry ghosts": by Hugh Edwards, it's a shortened version of events , followed by how they salvalged parts of the ship and the difficulties encounted. Just amazing reading.
A must read for Batavia enthusiasts. Build on people.

Side boards are similar is function as center boards on most small sailboats used today.

Winds can try to blow you sideways if not coming from directly behind you and the boards keep the ship going forward, versus sideways.

This design allows for shallow water as they can be lowered or raised depending on depth of water.

Like swing keel boards in small boats.

@frankieg Hi Frankie. It is GREAT to hear from you my friend - on my build logs you never have to apologize for "butting in" - you are most welcome. Thank you very much for the objective comments on Peter Fitzsimons's work as well as mentioning "Islands of Angry Ghosts", by Hugh Edwards as a further title. The one definitive book on a subject is always very difficult to find, so having more than one resource is always a good thing.

And then the pictures of the Batavia's longboat: They are simply INCREDIBLE! Thumbsup These are by far the best pictures I have ever seen and will be an invaluable asset to anyone ever wishing to build the longboat.

Just as a means of clarification on the subject. Most of these Dutch ships came with two "small" boats. The smaller one of the two is accurately called a "chaloup" or "sloep" in Dutch. In English it is often referred to as a "skiff" but I am not sure how accurate or correct that is. The chaloup was stored onboard and was propelled by means of oars. The longboat on the other hand (the subject of your pictures) was towed behind the vessel and could also also use sails as means of motive power. Both these types of smaller boats were extremely hardy and on both the Batavia and the Haarlem they played major roles in providing a means for survival.

@Ab Hoving has researched both types extensively and has drawn beautiful and highly accurate plans of both types for the scratch-builder.

@Vfordyce Hi Vic. I am glad that you could receive such excellent answers - both on the clinker-style planking (not easy to emulate) and the "zwaard" (sword). I just love your questions and I assure you that there MANY very knowledgeable people out there who can give us tons of information on these Dutch ships.

@Steef66 Stefan is one of those experts and leaves no stone unturned when he is on the "research path"! Thank you for your input, Stephan!

@Kkonrath Hi Kurt, It's really great to have you actively involved here and thank you for drawing the parallels of the zwaard to the modern-day equivalents. Your input certainly helps to understand to understand their inherent role function better !

tg
Yes, the boat was klinker style, the sides were there for lateral support.
Those double outboard "fins" are the option to a centerboard through or beside the keel. I am not sure if they can be set independently or would pivot together. Independently would provide some advantages to one tack and drag with the lee board down and windward higher but that takes more crew action and rigging. Just my thoughts. Those are excellent photos for someone doing a model if the boat. Rich (PT-2)

@PT-2 Rich I am (almost) sure they could function independently - i.e. I'm sure I have seen pictures where they were in different positions related to each other and not symmetrical as depicted on these pictures. However, maybe someone can clarify that for us.

@PT-2 Rich I am (almost) sure they could function independently - i.e. I'm sure I have seen pictures where they were in different positions related to each other and not symmetrical as depicted on these pictures. However, maybe someone can clarify that for us.
From the lines on the sideboard and no visible axel between them it is most certainly assumed that there is an uphaul on the bottom and a downhaul at the middle forward edge to control the position on different points of sailing. Rich

Thanks Heinrich for the trust

I am not sure if they can be set independently or would pivot together.
Yes Rich they can used independently for more advantage. They still have sail racing with these kind of ships. You see many of them on the IJsselmeer (Zuiderzee) in the Netherlands. Some harbours looks like 100 years ago.

Back