VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

@Pathfinder65 Thank you very much for the kind wishes Jan. At least we now have clarity about the future of the center.

The wood for the gunports is the ordinary 3mm Abachi wood that is used for Kolderstok's decks. I don't know if you received the Vallejo paint with the Duyfken or Kolderstok's new in-house paint, but either of the two works beautifully on the Abachi. I used the red Vallejo on the gunports.

Just catching up Heinrich. I was sad to hear your news. Hopefully some doors will open for you over the next few months and you can remain in your current city.

As for the ship - she is really coming together isn't she!?!
Thank you very much for the kind words Paul. As to doors opening - I sincerely trust and believe that that is what will happen.

@Pathfinder65 Jan, that is the in-house Kolderstok paint which Hans describes as "based on 17th century pigments. This range contains 18 colours in different tones of white, red, yellow, blue and green, and give the model a very distinctive "old" colour.

@Pathfinder65 Jan, that is the in-house Kolderstok paint which Hans describes as "based on 17th century pigments. This range contains 18 colours in different tones of white, red, yellow, blue and green, and give the model a very distinctive "old" colour.
Heinrich,

That is good to know. I'm afraid my knowledge of paints as well as species of wood is as close to "zero" as it gets. I have to confess all the painting on my current build is of the commercial "rattle" can type. Usually a coat of primer and then several coats of the final color. I have an opportunity to attend a class locally to learn airbrushing. (Again its an old dog learning a new trick ROTF)

Jan

Heinrich,

That is good to know. I'm afraid my knowledge of paints as well as species of wood is as close to "zero" as it gets. I have to confess all the painting on my current build is of the commercial "rattle" can type. Usually a coat of primer and then several coats of the final color. I have an opportunity to attend a class locally to learn airbrushing. (Again its an old dog learning a new trick ROTF)

Jan
Jan make no mistake. My painting efforts have been a combination of brush and rattle can. If I look at the beautiful results that Ondras is achieving with the airbrushing of his Roter Lowe, it would certainly be worth your while. Then again - if you look at the paintwork that @dockattner Paul and @Dean62 Dean are doing with brush only, it is nothing short of astounding.

Heinrich, if there was a "don't like" button I would have hit it. It is very sorry to hear you will loose your job.
It happened to me as well in 2012, so I decided to start again with model building, building the Batavia out of only plans.
And then I started to wonder why there wasn't a wooden kit of it, and see what has happened.
Whe're now a few years further, and I am as busy as I have never been The loss of my job turned into something completely new.
Who knows what lies in stock for you... :)

Thank you very much Dean. I appreciate your kind words and I am very glad that you like the gunports. I am happy with them and pleased with the way that they turned out. If I want to be pedantic, they should have sat further back (more indented) to be historically correct, but that would have thrown them out of kilter with the extra gunports that I made for the upper deck. So, it was a case of choosing what I believe was the lesser of the two evils.

As to moving - I still have a contract with my company until the end of May 2023, so legally speaking they under obligation to offer me another position - hence a possible move to another centre in a different city. My next step would be to see if I can become a full-time online teacher. That way I can fulfil my obligations without having to move. BUT ... and this is the big but ... if the company closed the centre because of financial difficulties, then who knows whether they would be even able to fulfil their contractual obligations. Therefore ... all I can do is to teach for the next two months, see what they come up with in the meantime and - of course - build ship models!:)
I am truly sorry to just not see your notification and uncertain options are before you. I know that all of the crew in SoS are at least in a mental support position for you. Even with the advance awareness that you had of the potentials it is a difficult and emotional situation to have before you. You have many decisions to make and those will leave little time for distracting relaxational moments to relieve the stress. Take care and stay as mentally healthy as you are able. Rich

Hello Dear Friends

We have received the official news yesterday from Headquarters that my teaching centre in Nantong will close on the 30th of November. And believe it or not, but that also does have an implication on my shipbuilding. The logic is simple - if I am forced to move that puts me in a huge quandary with regards to my models. I do not have only my historic Haarlem, Sampan and Leudo to move but also my Bowman steamboat, my 1900 Carette electric speedboat and then my big concern - my 44-inch long Seaducer RC monohull on its racing stand. Sigh ... :( And just to compound matters even more, I have another two brand new models on the way.

So what does a hard-headed South African do when the going gets difficult? He makes gunports!

View attachment 259853

Starboard side gunports completed. There are still some clean-ups and touch-ups that have to take place, but this is fresh from the oven!

View attachment 259854

View attachment 259855

And to those who maintain that a double-planked hull yields better results - really???

This little exercise now has to be repeated on the port side, of course. Thank you so much to all of you for following, watching and commenting on this build. It is absolutely wonderful to get this amazing support from you all. I want to assure you that I am now even more committed to my model building than ever. In fact, the movie on De Ruyter has also got me thinking long and hard about the mighty 7P.

Take care my friends, look after your family and loved ones and cherish every single moment that you get to spend with them as well as your time in the shipyard.
Very sorry to learn that your teaching centre will be closing. Hard blow at our age. There is always something new just around the corner. All the best, Heinrich.

Heinrich, if there was a "don't like" button I would have hit it. It is very sorry to hear you will loose your job.
It happened to me as well in 2012, so I decided to start again with model building, building the Batavia out of only plans.
And then I started to wonder why there wasn't a wooden kit of it, and see what has happened.
Whe're now a few years further, and I am as busy as I have never been The loss of my job turned into something completely new.
Who knows what lies in stock for you... :)
They say when one door closes, another one opens up. ;)

@Kolderstok Dear Hans, thank you very much for your words of encouragement. I agree fully that what seems like misfortune now, may be the start of a new opportunity. One of my mother's favorite sayings is that we are never presented with a challenge that we are not strong enough to handle. I simply have to believe this and heed these words!

Very sorry to learn that your teaching centre will be closing. Hard blow at our age. There is always something new just around the corner. All the best, Heinrich.
Thank you so much for the support Gennaro! You are so right - I was indeed looking forward to some plain sailing during my last few years of teaching. However. it is clear that the journey is not yet finished.

Heinrich, your life is not easy, but I believe that everything will work out. They say: God does not give us more trials than we are able to endure. And all these tests are needed for something. Perhaps this is a transition to a new level, who knows. I wish you not to be sad, there will definitely be a solution.

Thank you very much Dean. I appreciate your kind words and I am very glad that you like the gunports. I am happy with them and pleased with the way that they turned out. If I want to be pedantic, they should have sat further back (more indented) to be historically correct, but that would have thrown them out of kilter with the extra gunports that I made for the upper deck. So, it was a case of choosing what I believe was the lesser of the two evils.

As to moving - I still have a contract with my company until the end of May 2023, so legally speaking they under obligation to offer me another position - hence a possible move to another centre in a different city. My next step would be to see if I can become a full-time online teacher. That way I can fulfil my obligations without having to move. BUT ... and this is the big but ... if the company closed the centre because of financial difficulties, then who knows whether they would be even able to fulfil their contractual obligations. Therefore ... all I can do is to teach for the next two months, see what they come up with in the meantime and - of course - build ship models!:)

Heinrich, 2 days with out reading your log and suddenly a lot of postings together with this unfortunate news. What else I can say that having been said.

Nevertheless, never lose hope. In 2017 after 17 years at the same Pharma company I was laid-off. Reorganization. 17 years working on the same Therapeutic Area as a PhD doing research and later on the corporate section. I said to my self "this is the end of my career, who will hire me when I am an expert on 1 area only. I needed to relocate again for a similar job. No way after 5 relocations ".

I was Wrong !!! I applied to jobs that can use my biology knowledge and working experience and trashed my "expert background". 5 months later I was hired, on a job that considered that my experience was more important than the expertise. Still on that job and now, after 3.5 years, I am very well knowledgeable of my new Therapeutic Area related to my new job.

Bottom line.... do not stop searching, re evaluate yourself, what you have done and on what jobs you can apply that "working life experience". And go for them.

All the best !!!
Daniel

Last edited:
Heinrich, your life is not easy, but I believe that everything will work out. They say: God does not give us more trials than we are able to endure. And all these tests are needed for something. Perhaps this is a transition to a new level, who knows. I wish you not to be sad, there will definitely be a solution.
Sasha that is such a beautiful message and one that I agree 100% with. Thank you my friend - I will always think of that when I am in doubt.

@Dematosdg Thank you so much for the kind words and advice Daniel. I agree with you that re-inventing is sometimes exactly what is required. If I had been in Europe or any other English-speaking country that would have been no problem, but because of the language barrier, in China, that is not quite so easy. However, there are certain avenues that can be followed and you can bet your bottom dollar that I will be investigating those in depth.

Dear Heinrich,
I am just now visiting your build log of the Haarlem and just became aware of you and your wife's situation. First of all I am relived that you are a God loving man and just know that through your prayers as well as the rest of our prayers, the Lord is now actively in control of your situation.

As time permits I will study your build of the Haarlem as well as the wealth of knowledge I know that will come with it. I saw where you come from South Africa, one of my favorite authors Wilbur Smith is from there.

Back