VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Beautiful build with many artfully crafted intricate details! Okay
Thank you so much Johan. In certain areas I made things difficult for myself by not sticking to a purely Batavia build, but at the same time I am also glad that I'm doing something different.

Looking great Heinrich, unfortunately I also don t have the time to go to Hillegom today, hopefully next year again.
Thank you very much Maarten! I am sure that your Royal Caroline and Friesland would have been undoubted stars at Hillegom!

Thank you very much Jan! The Haarlem is finally getting her well-deserved attention.

Finally I would like to share something with you of what I did this afternoon, Totally by chance, I stumbled upon the movie about the life of Dutch Admiral Adriaan Michiel De Ruyter. :) Thumbsup It was on one of the Chinese movie channels (in Dutch of course which was great to hear again) with Chinese subtitles! So both the Admiral and I could enjoy the exploits of De Ruyter. It was so refreshing to see a movie about the Anglo-Dutch naval battles - but this time told from a Dutch perspective!

微信图片_20211002210333.jpg

微信图片_20211002210350.jpg

微信图片_20211002210421.jpg

Nice to show it here, Heinrich.
In the Netherlands we are still proud of him. Also of his statue in Vlissingen.
On the news I saw that in the States they have taken down the statue of Robert E. Lee.
Luckely till now no message to sink or rename my Lee. ;)
Who forgets his history, forgets his future.
Or
He who forgets his history is doomed to repeat it.

Put it especially in the perspective of that time.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Wonderful work Heinrich, all very impressive. The rope coils are, how shall we say, 'very prominent' on the deck. I think your intention of reducing the amount of rope in each coil will make a big difference though. One benefit of your rope coil discussion, it has made me spend some quality time researching the different methods of rigging cannons for differing conditions. Be that run out for engagement, in action in heavy weather, inboard for securing for sea, in port and so on. All very interesting, thanks.

@RogerD Thank you for your comments and thoughts Roger - they are not only appreciated, but also taken to heart. I will most certainly return to the coils to see what I can do to remove some coils. The challenge is to do that without undoing the rest of the rigging as each coil is not simply placed at random, but is part of a fully "functional" rigging attempt.

@RogerD Thank you for your comments and thoughts Roger - they are not only appreciated, but also taken to heart. I will most certainly return to the coils to see what I can do to remove some coils. The challenge is to do that without undoing the rest of the rigging as each coil is not simply placed at random, but is part of a fully "functional" rigging attempt.
I hope I was not seeming presumptuous Heinrich. As I look ahead to rigging my own cannons I find studying different layouts from accomplished modellers to be a huge benefit. You mentioned in another post aesthetics as well as accuracy so I am thinking about what I might do too. Instead of multiple turns in a coil I might use just a couple of turns for visual effect. The “functional“ rigging is a given, it is what to do with the tails on gun and train tackles that I am pondering.

@RogerD Not at all my friend! ROTF I welcome your comments, interpretations and ideas as that is how we all learn and grow. I have redone many parts in this build and I can assure you that revisiting the coils won't be the last redo either! This is exactly what makes a forum so great - to share ideas and look at alternative ways of accomplishing something. So ... please ... never hesitate to say what you think! Thumbs-Up

Hello Dear Friends

We have received the official news yesterday from Headquarters that my teaching centre in Nantong will close on the 30th of November. And believe it or not, but that also does have an implication on my shipbuilding. The logic is simple - if I am forced to move that puts me in a huge quandary with regards to my models. I do not have only my historic Haarlem, Sampan and Leudo to move but also my Bowman steamboat, my 1900 Carette electric speedboat and then my big concern - my 44-inch long Seaducer RC monohull on its racing stand. Sigh ... :( And just to compound matters even more, I have another two brand new models on the way.

So what does a hard-headed South African do when the going gets difficult? He makes gunports!

微信图片_20211006105452.jpg

Starboard side gunports completed. There are still some clean-ups and touch-ups that have to take place, but this is fresh from the oven!

微信图片_20211006105502.jpg

微信图片_20211006110848.jpg

And to those who maintain that a double-planked hull yields better results - really???

This little exercise now has to be repeated on the port side, of course. Thank you so much to all of you for following, watching and commenting on this build. It is absolutely wonderful to get this amazing support from you all. I want to assure you that I am now even more committed to my model building than ever. In fact, the movie on De Ruyter has also got me thinking long and hard about the mighty 7P.

Take care my friends, look after your family and loved ones and cherish every single moment that you get to spend with them as well as your time in the shipyard.

Hello Dear Friends

We have received the official news yesterday from Headquarters that my teaching centre in Nantong will close on the 30th of November. And believe it or not, but that also does have an implication on my shipbuilding. The logic is simple - if I am forced to move that puts me in a huge quandary with regards to my models. I do not have only my historic Haarlem, Sampan and Leudo to move but also my Bowman steamboat, my 1900 Carette electric speedboat and then my big concern - my 44-inch long Seaducer RC monohull on its racing stand. Sigh ... :( And just to compound matters even more, I have another two brand new models on the way.

So what does a hard-headed South African do when the going gets difficult? He makes gunports!

View attachment 259853

Starboard side gunports completed. There are still some clean-ups and touch-ups that have to take place, but this is fresh from the oven!

View attachment 259854

View attachment 259855

And to those who maintain that a double-planked hull yields better results - really???

This little exercise now has to be repeated on the port side, of course. Thank you so much to all of you for following, watching and commenting on this build. It is absolutely wonderful to get this amazing support from you all. I want to assure you that I am now even more committed to my model building than ever. In fact, the movie on De Ruyter has also got me thinking long and hard about the mighty 7P.

Take care my friends, look after your family and loved ones and cherish every single moment that you get to spend with them as well as your time in the shipyard.
First, let me say the gun ports look great! I like the red…it’s a nice, yet subtle, contrast against the darker wood. For me, ship building is my solace. I hope it is for you as well.
Second, I’m not certain of the implications, as far as the school goes. I understand you have to move, and moving ships can be dangerous. I know, I lost a ship that way. So I wish you the best of luck and success with your move. I can only assume the move is for a new work opportunity, and I wish you the best on that as well.

Thank you very much Dean. I appreciate your kind words and I am very glad that you like the gunports. I am happy with them and pleased with the way that they turned out. If I want to be pedantic, they should have sat further back (more indented) to be historically correct, but that would have thrown them out of kilter with the extra gunports that I made for the upper deck. So, it was a case of choosing what I believe was the lesser of the two evils.

As to moving - I still have a contract with my company until the end of May 2023, so legally speaking they under obligation to offer me another position - hence a possible move to another centre in a different city. My next step would be to see if I can become a full-time online teacher. That way I can fulfil my obligations without having to move. BUT ... and this is the big but ... if the company closed the centre because of financial difficulties, then who knows whether they would be even able to fulfil their contractual obligations. Therefore ... all I can do is to teach for the next two months, see what they come up with in the meantime and - of course - build ship models!:)

Thank you very much Dean. I appreciate your kind words and I am very glad that you like the gunports. I am happy with them and pleased with the way that they turned out. If I want to be pedantic, they should have sat further back (more indented) to be historically correct, but that would have thrown them out of kilter with the extra gunports that I made for the upper deck. So, it was a case of choosing what I believe was the lesser of the two evils.

As to moving - I still have a contract with my company until the end of May 2023, so legally speaking they under obligation to offer me another position - hence a possible move to another centre in a different city. My next step would be to see if I can become a full-time online teacher. That way I can fulfil my obligations without having to move. BUT ... and this is the big but ... if the company closed the centre because of financial difficulties, then who knows whether they would be even able to fulfil their contractual obligations. Therefore ... all I can do is to teach for the next two months, see what they come up with in the meantime and - of course - build ship models!:)
We will wish for online courses! ;)

Back