VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

For me, it’s not a matter of it being crowded, it’s the thought that they had all this rear tackle for the crew to trip over! Especially on a ship at sea that is moving around. Stepping over extended ropes seems like a hazardous proposition. But that was obviously what they did, ignoring good logic in the process! ;)
Yes, speed of firing was typically what determined the winner so dashing around to get the next shot off was needed and the crew had better not stumble and hold up the shot!!! Lives depended upon coordinated work and a lot of luck! Rich

For me, it’s not a matter of it being crowded, it’s the thought that they had all this rear tackle for the crew to trip over! Especially on a ship at sea that is moving around. Stepping over extended ropes seems like a hazardous proposition. But that was obviously what they did, ignoring good logic in the process! ;)
Very true. And to make matters worse ... also bear in mind that the lifeboat was mounted on top of two hatch covers, so that had to be moved out of the way as well to access any large items below deck.

I think though, the key here lies in the fact that the Haarlem was not intended to be a man-o-war. She was a regular return ship of the VOC which was co-opted into the navy by the Seven Provinces for a short duration of time. That saw her outfitted with either 32 or 36 guns (different sources revealed different numbers) , instead of the 24 that are shown on the Batavia. Seeing that I was building the Haarlem, I had to find place for another 8 cannons - hence the extra six on deck and the two at the stern. Imagine I had to fit another four somewhere!

On the mighty Zeven Provincien, you guys can see just how much more space there was with a MUCH wider hull on a ship that was designed from the outset to be the last word in the Anglo-Dutch naval battles. By the way, she remained unbeaten throughout her long career, and though damaged at times, survived all battles.

Image1614440940.669932.jpg

Kolderstok's Zeven Provincien. The model was built by Arjan Spiek.

I took this picture to determine the positioning of the hooks and eyes that need to go onto the deck, but seeing that it shows the deck from another angle, why not include it in the log?

View attachment 258299
Very nice and in looking closer I particularly like your gun tackle outhaul hawasers coiled on the deck with a vertical depth more realistic to my eye than a more commonly seen flat coil. Rich (PT-2)

@PT-2 Thank you Rich! Thumbs-Up I really appreciate that, because that was exactly what I was trying to achieve. I have an aversion to those perfectly-shaped "flat" coils which modelers seem to strive for. Anyone who has ever read a blow-by-blow account of naval battles in the 17th century, will know just how unrealistic those are.

Everything is working out great.Just one comment.Why such long bays on sliding hoists?Maybe you can wind it less?there are 3-4 rings enough.
Hi Mr Deep. Welcome to the build log of the Haarlem and thank you for your most kind comments. You are 100% right. Thumbs-Up There are too many coils. I will reduce the number of coils - it has also bothered me.

Today is a very important day on the Dutch shipbuilder's calendar with a Meet-and-Greet meeting taking place in Hillegom in the Netherlands. The idea is that for a whole day modelers get together with their models in a big hall and discuss model shipbuilding. What I really like about this idea is that modelers are encouraged to bring along their models which are still in progress, as that sometimes offers the best opportunity for discussing techniques and different ways of accomplishing the same objectives. The master brain behind all of this is @janzwart who is also a member here on SOS. I think that a VERY BIG THANK YOU is in order to Jan for arranging all of this.

Seeing that I can possibly not attend this wonderful meeting, the best thing I can do in spirit to be with them is to carry on working on the Haarlem.

微信图片_20211002120459.jpg

Close-up of the hooks and eyes in the deck area. the mounting points for the lifeboat have been made and all that is now required is just to tie it down with ropes.

微信图片_20211002120423.jpg

Continuing with the hooks and eyes on the next deck only to run out of eyes! And I just placed an order with @Kolderstok Hans and it completely slipped my mind to include this in the order! Damn!

微信图片_20211002120859.jpg

The reason for including this picture (when there is nothing new to it), is just to give an overview of what a large portion of the decks now look like. Now as most of you who follow the log will know, I am all for a realistic look and whilst I do try to build as neatly as I possibly can, I also attempt to achieve a certain "industrial" or "antique" look on the ship. With this in mind, I had to chuckle to myself last night when my Huaweii cellphone automatically adjusted itself to a "Historical Building" setting! ROTF I must be doing something right!

For some light relief, I turned my attention to the ship's lantern ...

微信图片_20210928154531.jpg

As a back-up, I was also considering another option which I obtained free-of-charge of Xiuli - the Medium-Sized copper lantern of the Royal Caroline.

微信图片_20210928164508.jpg

微信图片_20210928164517.jpg

Whilst this is a superbly detailed and solid copper lantern, it just did not feel right to use this on the Haarlem. It will be put to very good use though on the next build!

微信图片_20211002120450.jpg

微信图片_20211002121458.jpg

Lantern fitted and an overview of where I am at the moment.

微信图片_20211002121927.jpg

This is also the first exterior picture showing the 6 cannons peeking out from their gunports.

As usual, I want to thank everyone for following, liking and commenting. This is sorely appreciated and much the whole experience all the more special. Until next time ... take care and cherish your building!

Today is a very important day on the Dutch shipbuilder's calendar with a Meet-and-Greet meeting taking place in Hillegom in the Netherlands. The idea is that for a whole day modelers get together with their models in a big hall and discuss model shipbuilding. What I really like about this idea is that modelers are encouraged to bring along their models which are still in progress, as that sometimes offers the best opportunity for discussing techniques and different ways of accomplishing the same objectives. The master brain behind all of this is @janzwart who is also a member here on SOS. I think that a VERY BIG THANK YOU is in order to Jan for arranging all of this.

Seeing that I can possibly not attend this wonderful meeting, the best thing I can do in spirit to be with them is to carry on working on the Haarlem.

View attachment 259181

Close-up of the hooks and eyes in the deck area. the mounting points for the lifeboat have been made and all that is now required is just to tie it down with ropes.

View attachment 259182

Continuing with the hooks and eyes on the next deck only to run out of eyes! And I just placed an order with @Kolderstok Hans and it completely slipped my mind to include this in the order! Damn!

View attachment 259183

The reason for including this picture (when there is nothing new to it), is just to give an overview of what a large portion of the decks now look like. Now as most of you who follow the log will know, I am all for a realistic look and whilst I do try to build as neatly as I possibly can, I also attempt to achieve a certain "industrial" or "antique" look on the ship. With this in mind, I had to chuckle to myself last night when my Huaweii cellphone automatically adjusted itself to a "Historical Building" setting! ROTF I must be doing something right!

View attachment 259184

As a back-up, I was also considering another option which I obtained free-of-charge of Xiuli - the Medium-Sized copper lantern of the Royal Caroline.

View attachment 259185

View attachment 259186

Whilst this is a superbly detailed and solid copper lantern, it just did not feel right to use this on the Haarlem. It will be put to very good use though on the next build!

View attachment 259187

View attachment 259188

View attachment 259189

This is also the first exterior picture showing the 6 cannons peeking out from their gunports.

As usual, I want to thank everyone for following, liking and commenting. This is sorely appreciated and much the whole experience all the more special. Until next time ... take care and cherish your building!
Looking better all the time!

View attachment 259181

View attachment 259182

View attachment 259183

View attachment 259184

View attachment 259185

View attachment 259186

View attachment 259187

View attachment 259188

View attachment 259189

You provide a beautiful and well done offering to the Collect and Greet in the Netherlands as well as on SoS. Good lantern decision . . . "Let there be Light!" Rich

View attachment 259181

View attachment 259182

View attachment 259183

View attachment 259184

View attachment 259185

View attachment 259186

View attachment 259187

View attachment 259188

View attachment 259189

The positioning of your Sampan behind the ship makes it look like a transported (time and place) ships boar. Very clever in deed. ;) Rich

@PT-2 Thank you for the kind words, Rich! The sampan's "positioning" is purely coincidental, ROTF so I cannot take any credit for that!

Well well ....... I had to read several pages ...... Where to start .....
First of all, I hope your classes will be possible again soon. A new job separate from your Admiral would be ....... ‘not the best option’.
You have added beautiful details on and up the Haarlem. Good to put a ruler next to the Chinese currency. Then we know how big it is. ;)
And then the WB: that will be a building with a lot of historical perspective.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Well well ....... I had to read several pages ...... Where to start .....
First of all, I hope your classes will be possible again soon. A new job separate from your Admiral would be ....... ‘not the best option’.
You have added beautiful details on and up the Haarlem. Good to put a ruler next to the Chinese currency. Then we know how big it is. ;)
And then the WB: that will be a building with a lot of historical perspective.
Regards, Peter
Thank you for the good wishes Peter. About the classes, the best I can do is to adopt a wait-and-see attitude and hope for the best. I am really looking forward to the WB, but as things stand now, it would not be advisable to start that until I am clear about my future.

Back