VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Heinrich my old friend, what do i see now on this this site "more Kolderstok ships" .
I see that i have to spend much more time on this American site, when these ships are all going to be build.:):):)

Thank you very much Dean! Never say never, but I do believe that this is my first and last ship that will have the cannons rigged in this way - it is simply too much like anything else. On the next build they will be rigged in a historically accurate fashion and one which will be very different from this build. And talking about my next build - I have been enjoying myself so much working on the Haarlem again that I bought my second ship model yesterday from Kolderstok. To me, Kolderstok's models are just something else - they exude a sense of realism that no model company whose products I have worked with so far, comes close to achieving.

So let me introduce the next family member - the Willem Barentsz expedition ship.

View attachment 257195

View attachment 257196

This superb Willem Barentsz was build by @pietsan Piet Sanders whose build I will use as a guideline during my attempts. "Guideline" though is the operative word here, as Piet's work is something else!
Hi Heinrich,

Do you have the book and drawings of the Barentz already?
It is a book from Ab Hoving, I have it and it is very nice to have it next to your kolderstock kit for extra details.

See below some pictures of the reconstructiin I visited 2 years ago.20190729_114726.jpg20190729_114817.jpg20190729_114846.jpg20190729_115030.jpg20190729_120136.jpg20190729_122716.jpg20190729_124649.jpg20190729_124743.jpg

Looking forward to your build.

Hi Heinrich,

Do you have the book and drawings of the Barentz already?
It is a book from Ab Hoving, I have it and it is very nice to have it next to your kolderstock kit for extra details.

See below some pictures of the reconstructiin I visited 2 years ago.View attachment 257595View attachment 257596View attachment 257597View attachment 257598View attachment 257599View attachment 257600View attachment 257601View attachment 257602

Looking forward to your build.
Very cool and engaging to see a 1:1???? Reconstruction is a guess after seeing the interior lower frames but maybe it is actually a scratch build?? ;) Rich

@Maarten Dear Maarten - I have just realized that I still owe you an e-mail! Apologies my friend - I will send that mail to you right after these comments.

Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures of the Willem Barentsz's reconstruction! Details pertaining to the deck planking, hatches, the below-deck arrangement (particularly the hanging knees - some of which I will have to scratch-build, and the position of the braadspil are particularly helpful. And then, the chaloup (lifeboat)! What a great photo that is! As the chaloup played a very important part in the history of this venture, the picture will be most useful in my attempts to reconstruct that as accurately as I can!

I am aware of @Ab Hoving Ab's book, but unfortunately I cannot open the link which you have provided. Maybe you and I can do our second "book-transaction" at a later stage!

Thank you very much for your valuable input and kind wishes!

Heinrich my old friend, what do i see now on this this site "more Kolderstok ships" .
I see that i have to spend much more time on this American site, when these ships are all going to be build.:):):)
Peter - my dear friend. I will obviously the build of the WB on Modelbouwforum as well when I start with her.

I have always wanted to build the WB for a number of reasons. I have always liked the very "clean" look of the WB with the minimal decorations. The older I get the more I realize that "less is more"! Secondly, I love the all-walnut build of the WB - I have come to love the walnut that @Kolderstok Hans uses - it may not always be the easiest to work with (@pietsan Piet has even mentioned that it is somewhat "stug"), but it gives a wonderfully natural-look to the completed hull. And then, of course one just has to look at Piet's build to see what is possible and with his build log, I have a wonderful instruction manual to follow.

Why I chose to buy the model now, is all because of what is happening at the moment in China. The teaching centre where I am working in Nantong is not doing well. They have already moved all the adult-and teenager classes online and there are only the VIP students left to teach. That means that I will not nearly be able to teach enough classes to meet my minimum requirement. Another centre has indicated that they are interested in my services but they are in Hefei which is in another province. I can obviously not cart the Haarlem with all my tools there so I will have to start everything from afresh if I am forced to make that move. Building the Willem Barentsz will be the only thing that will keep me sane!

Peter - my dear friend. I will obviously the build of the WB on Modelbouwforum as well when I start with her.

I have always wanted to build the WB for a number of reasons. I have always liked the very "clean" look of the WB with the minimal decorations. The older I get the more I realize that "less is more"! Secondly, I love the all-walnut build of the WB - I have come to love the walnut that @Kolderstok Hans uses - it may not always be the easiest to work with (@pietsan Piet has even mentioned that it is somewhat "stug"), but it gives a wonderfully natural-look to the completed hull. And then, of course one just has to look at Piet's build to see what is possible and with his build log, I have a wonderful instruction manual to follow.

Why I chose to buy the model now, is all because of what is happening at the moment in China. The teaching centre where I am working in Nantong is not doing well. They have already moved all the adult-and teenager classes online and there are only the VIP students left to teach. That means that I will not nearly be able to teach enough classes to meet my minimum requirement. Another centre has indicated that they are interested in my services but they are in Hefei which is in another province. I can obviously not cart the Haarlem with all my tools there so I will have to start everything from afresh if I am forced to make that move. Building the Willem Barentsz will be the only thing that will keep me sane!
Hi Heinrich,

Sorry to hear this news, I hope it all works out for you and you don't have to uproot and move.

Cheers,
Stephen.

I am truly sorry to hear of your situation but not totally surprised by the paradigm shift to on-online which has been dominant and controversial for younger students here. Could you have dialect changes/challenges in the other province. When my father was embedded in WWII training the Chinese troops they had to have interpreters as the dialects changed along with war lords in each different valley that they went through to stop the Japanese westward expansion. Successfully. Rich

@Stevedownunder

@PT-2

Dear Stephen and Rich. Thank you very much for your thoughts and well-wishes. I sincerely hope that I am not forced to relocate as that will also mean a separation between me and the Admiral. She has a very senior government position in Nantong and there is absolutely no chance of her relocating.

All of a sudden working on the Haarlem's cannon-rigging - an exercise which I would at best describe as "tedious", - has become therapeutic! It just shows again how relative all things are.

As to the dialects Rich - there is a pronounced difference but as my command of Mandarin is extremely limited in any case, I don't think the dialect will matter much - I won't understand either!

@Stevedownunder

@PT-2

Dear Stephen and Rich. Thank you very much for your thoughts and well-wishes. I sincerely hope that I am not forced to relocate as that will also mean a separation between me and the Admiral. She has a very senior government position in Nantong and there is absolutely no chance of her relocating.

All of a sudden working on the Haarlem's cannon-rigging - an exercise which I would at best describe as "tedious", - has become therapeutic! It just shows again how relative all things are.

As to the dialects Rich - there is a pronounced difference but as my command of Mandarin is extremely limited in any case, I don't think the dialect will matter much - I won't understand either!
I recall that Mandarin was what my father had limited ability. When we went to Chinese restaurants he would always go into the kitchen to see what was spoken for continuing his abilities. Cantonese mostly for no help to him but amusement with the kitchen staff. Rich

@Maarten Dear Maarten - I have just realized that I still owe you an e-mail! Apologies my friend - I will send that mail to you right after these comments.

Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures of the Willem Barentsz's reconstruction! Details pertaining to the deck planking, hatches, the below-deck arrangement (particularly the hanging knees - some of which I will have to scratch-build, and the position of the braadspil are particularly helpful. And then, the chaloup (lifeboat)! What a great photo that is! As the chaloup played a very important part in the history of this venture, the picture will be most useful in my attempts to reconstruct that as accurately as I can!

I am aware of @Ab Hoving Ab's book, but unfortunately I cannot open the link which you have provided. Maybe you and I can do our second "book-transaction" at a later stage!

Thank you very much for your valuable input and kind wishes!
Hi Heinrich,

Sorry to hear your job is at risk at the moment and hope everything works out fine.
Ofcourse I can help you to purchase the book in the future, let me know when you need help.
I also have more pictures of the ship so let me know hwat you need.

Very cool and engaging to see a 1:1???? Reconstruction is a guess after seeing the interior lower frames but maybe it is actually a scratch build?? ;) Rich
The reconstruction was actually done based on the wreck parts, paintings and drawings. Ab Hoving will be able to tell much more about that.
The inside is actually how a 16th and 17th century ship looked like. Wood used in ship building was a scarce good and used to the ultimum. The British largely recycled their vessels timber in rebuilds or new builds. The Dutch were not building their ships with moulds like the British did and used every usefull piece of timber resulting in a ship with different wood sizes in planks, frame timbers etc. You have to image that for a build like this first the outer shell was build and after that the shell was filled in with frame timbers, this without any connection towards other frame timber and only connections to the shell. The size of the frame timber is therefore of less importance as long they are properly secured towards the outer shell (hull planks). You can see that here in the pictures in the hold.

Hi Heinrich,

Sorry to hear your job is at risk at the moment and hope everything works out fine.
Ofcourse I can help you to purchase the book in the future, let me know when you need help.
I also have more pictures of the ship so let me know hwat you need.
Thank you very much Maarten. I know that I can always rely on you. You are truly a great friend and a great person! I have sent you those files that I promised you.

Hi Heinrich, just catching up reading your log. Very sorry to read about your teaching position. I hope that everything will work out and you can remain where you are.

Jan

Back