VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Thank you very much my dear friend! When I close my eyes all I see is ropes, blocks and cannons!

That is an excellent time to relax and have a nice ,strong coffee, after the coffee look back at the ship, and think " that is nicely done Heinrich"
I will do just that my friend! :)

@Pathfinder65 Thank you very much Jan! Now there is still the other side, of course, and that will be even more difficult as there is now even less space. But ... I am happy with how the Port Side looks.

Thank you very much my dear friend! When I close my eyes all I see is ropes, blocks and cannons!
I don't recall that you can see YouTube but there was one posted recently showing naval academy students in a gun crew learning the process by doing it. The first thing that two of the crew did was to pick up the neatly coiled lines from the deck and throw them well aft of the inhaul tackle . . . . all of that careful work tossed aside as unwanted and in the way! I don't see yours being tossed off. ;)
;):D Rich

I don't recall that you can see YouTube but there was one posted recently showing naval academy students in a gun crew learning the process by doing it. The first thing that two of the crew did was to pick up the neatly coiled lines from the deck and throw them well aft of the inhaul tackle . . . . all of that careful work tossed aside as unwanted and in the way! I don't see yours being tossed off. ;)
;):D Rich
Hi Rich. I agree with you totally. I also believe that these coils are figments of the imagination. However, I do have to put the rope somewhere and that is the only solution that makes sense on the model. And as to tossing them aside - I very nearly did just that on a few occasions yesterday. In my case though, they were in danger of going overboard! ROTF

Great job Heinrich!
Thank you very much Dean! Never say never, but I do believe that this is my first and last ship that will have the cannons rigged in this way - it is simply too much like anything else. On the next build they will be rigged in a historically accurate fashion and one which will be very different from this build. And talking about my next build - I have been enjoying myself so much working on the Haarlem again that I bought my second ship model yesterday from Kolderstok. To me, Kolderstok's models are just something else - they exude a sense of realism that no model company whose products I have worked with so far, comes close to achieving.

So let me introduce the next family member - the Willem Barentsz expedition ship.

willembarentszuitgelicht2_2493ad14-4018-4fa6-baf4-60816e7d7720_1400x640_crop_center.jpg

IMG_2160_6649_bewerkt-1.jpg

This superb Willem Barentsz was build by @pietsan Piet Sanders whose build I will use as a guideline during my attempts. "Guideline" though is the operative word here, as Piet's work is something else!

Hi Rich. I agree with you totally. I also believe that these coils are figments of the imagination. However, I do have to put the rope somewhere and that is the only solution that makes sense on the model. And as to tossing them aside - I very nearly did just that on a few occasions yesterday. In my case though, they were in danger of going overboard! ROTF
ROTF
ROTFROTFROTF Rich

Thank you very much Dean! Never say never, but I do believe that this is my first and last ship that will have the cannons rigged in this way - it is simply too much like anything else. On the next build they will be rigged in a historically accurate fashion and one which will be very different from this build. And talking about my next build - I have been enjoying myself so much working on the Haarlem again that I bought my second ship model yesterday from Kolderstok. To me, Kolderstok's models are just something else - they exude a sense of realism that no model company whose products I have worked with so far, comes close to achieving.

So let me introduce the next family member - the Willem Barentsz expedition ship.

View attachment 257195

View attachment 257196

This superb Willem Barentsz was build by @pietsan Piet Sanders whose build I will use as a guideline during my attempts. "Guideline" though is the operative word here, as Piet's work is something else!
I’m looking forward to that build. I’m sure that your effort will result in a “PERFECT” model and a great “HISTORY” lesson to go along with it.:D

Jan

Last edited:
@Pathfinder65 Hi Jan. I'm not sure about the "perfect" model, but boy oh boy - does this ship have a history attached to it! And what makes this one so nice as a prospective build is that there is "good" information available about it. "Good" though in inverted commas because it remains a 425-year old subject that we are attempting to recreate.

We will all be watching your next build to see the great results you will provide to us see.

We believe that with the research you provide in your subject builds it will no doubt be an accurate as possible build.

@Heinrich, I’m sure that after your Sampan and now your Haarlem build this future build will be great log to follow. I’m ”working” or I should say “negotiating” with the Admiral for another Kolderstok kit. :p:p

Jan
Oohhh!!! Now you have me very curious. Give me hint what you are looking at :) :) :)

We will all be watching your next build to see the great results you will provide to us see.

We believe that with the research you provide in your subject builds it will no doubt be an accurate as possible build.
Thank you very much for the very kind words Kurt! I will try my absolute best with the Willem Barentsz.

@Pathfinder65 Jan, Admiral Anna has advice for you on how to secure the next Kolderstok model with your Admiral. Tell her that the model that you want has TWO lifeboats - and if it doesn't ORDER them ... ROTF

Back