VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

What a terrific shape for a ship. Any more views?

Jan
Jan that is the most beautiful shape I have ever seen - bulbous, curved - call it what you will! But I can also tell you that its build is going to be one heck of a challenge. The picture above is from a test build by Hans Groenenberg - one of the Dutch Forum members. He is basically verifying Hans's own build to check that it is indeed doable.

Jan that is the most beautiful shape I have ever seen - bulbous, curved - call it what you will! But I can also tell you that its build is going to be one heck of a challenge. The picture above is from a test build by Hans Groenenberg - one of the Dutch Forum members. He is basically verifying Hans's own build to check that it is indeed doable.
The new fluit certainly is a model with a lot of added value to the market. First it is a fluit which is one of the most beautiful ship shapes, secondly the building methode hans @Kolderstok developped is very interesting.
And last you can possibly build it in different versions, just great.
Looking forward to your build of this fluit Heinrich.

@Maarten Maarten I could not have said it better. :) Hans has indeed developed a model that is truly historic - even when it comes down to the historically correct shell-first building method. I am very excited about the release of this model, because it will present a real challenge to me. However, there is still another possibility - the mighty 7P also haunts me.

@Kolderstok Hans Der Vliegende Hollander certainly haunted the minds of many a man, but I prefer the thought of the 7P haunting the British Navy in reality! Then having said that, I lie awake at night planning the planking of the Fluit - so it will be a good contest between the two!:D

The backlog of future projects is way exceeding the launching of completed builds... ;)
Johan for my "backlog" you need to blame Hans! It's not that bad - the only backlog will be the Willem Barentsz (expected shortly in China) and then either the Fluit or the 7P. For neither model there is any rush - my current situation prevents the start-up of any new model. I'm only working on the Haarlem now.

Johan for my "backlog" you need to blame Hans! It's not that bad - the only backlog will be the Willem Barentsz (expected shortly in China) and then either the Fluit or the 7P. For neither model there is any rush - my current situation prevents the start-up of any new model. I'm only working on the Haarlem now.
That's a couple of years worth of entertainment.
At least it's a beautiful line-up, of which the 7P is the most impressive.

@Vfordyce The 17th Century Dutch ships were steered with a whipstaff or "Kolderstok" in Dutch. (That is actually where Kolderstok Models derived its name from).

View attachment 262598

Here the Kolderstok is the wooden piece at the top of the rudder. @pietsan (Piet Sanders - Willem Barentsz)

View attachment 262599

And the rudder with kolderstok mounted on the ship. As the actual whipstaff is not operational on the model, only part of it is simulated to create the correct effect.

View attachment 262600

On the real ship the kolderstok is a substantial wooden beam which is operated by means of blocks, tackles and the like. The end extends into the "stuurplecht" or steering deck from where the helmsman steers.

View attachment 262601

Here you can see the whipstaff as it extends through the steering deck directly above it.

View attachment 262602

This picture shows the "stuurplecht" or steering deck (with "windows" from where the helmsman steered the ship.

I hope this makes sense! :)
Looking fantastic, I didn't get any log updates so went back over the previous pages, it really will be a beautiful ship with the great work you are doing.

Today is a very important day on the Dutch shipbuilder's calendar with a Meet-and-Greet meeting taking place in Hillegom in the Netherlands. The idea is that for a whole day modelers get together with their models in a big hall and discuss model shipbuilding. What I really like about this idea is that modelers are encouraged to bring along their models which are still in progress, as that sometimes offers the best opportunity for discussing techniques and different ways of accomplishing the same objectives. The master brain behind all of this is @janzwart who is also a member here on SOS. I think that a VERY BIG THANK YOU is in order to Jan for arranging all of this.

Seeing that I can possibly not attend this wonderful meeting, the best thing I can do in spirit to be with them is to carry on working on the Haarlem.

View attachment 259181

Close-up of the hooks and eyes in the deck area. the mounting points for the lifeboat have been made and all that is now required is just to tie it down with ropes.

View attachment 259182

Continuing with the hooks and eyes on the next deck only to run out of eyes! And I just placed an order with @Kolderstok Hans and it completely slipped my mind to include this in the order! Damn!

View attachment 259183

The reason for including this picture (when there is nothing new to it), is just to give an overview of what a large portion of the decks now look like. Now as most of you who follow the log will know, I am all for a realistic look and whilst I do try to build as neatly as I possibly can, I also attempt to achieve a certain "industrial" or "antique" look on the ship. With this in mind, I had to chuckle to myself last night when my Huaweii cellphone automatically adjusted itself to a "Historical Building" setting! ROTF I must be doing something right!

For some light relief, I turned my attention to the ship's lantern ...

View attachment 259184

As a back-up, I was also considering another option which I obtained free-of-charge of Xiuli - the Medium-Sized copper lantern of the Royal Caroline.

View attachment 259185

View attachment 259186

Whilst this is a superbly detailed and solid copper lantern, it just did not feel right to use this on the Haarlem. It will be put to very good use though on the next build!

View attachment 259187

View attachment 259188

Lantern fitted and an overview of where I am at the moment.

View attachment 259189

This is also the first exterior picture showing the 6 cannons peeking out from their gunports.

As usual, I want to thank everyone for following, liking and commenting. This is sorely appreciated and much the whole experience all the more special. Until next time ... take care and cherish your building!
Aha a lantern decision like me, your choice looks good.

Back