Wappen Von Hamburg, Corel, a sort of log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Do you miss jumping? I do.
Hi Phil, I must say that I don’t miss parachuting. I think that at that time the US and UK had a vast difference in their military budget, there was no opportunity for recreational jumps only tactical training ones were carried out. The day before would be for rigging heavy equipment and synthetic ground training, no sleep, getting to the airfield, a few hours away in uncomfortable trucks, the jump would usually be below 1000ft at night so that you would be in position for first light to start a three or four day field exercise. Except for initial training my memories of jumps were of being tired, cold, hungry and generally knackered. I was deployed for much of my service so never had the opportunity to get in many jumps, only about thirty in all. For all that, being young with like minded comrades was a good time and led me to circumstances that strongly influenced the rest of a very happy life.

Me, deployed for a year in Yemen. Same place, same general conflict, 55 years apart, why do world leaders never learn.

015.jpg

Hello Everyone, My log seems to have attracted interest from a variety of members, more than I expected, so for those that have shown an interest thank you.
Today I'm showing you the keel, hull, deck and bow fillers made up. For such a large model I felt the the bulkhead spacing was a bit to far apart for strong initial rigidity so I built in a lattice of fillets to beef it up. The bow I made up from balsa and carved to shape and the deck dropped in nicely. Having carefully cut from the copied plan I found that it all went together a treat. As this was my first semi scratch build this gave me confidence and I thought so far, so good. Next I'll show the start of the planking.

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

While never a military paratrooper I did 19 jumps for the fun of it as sport jumper, then got married and stopped jumping.

After 40 years my wife said my son wanted to go do one jump for his bucket list and said I could go with him.

I told her no way, as you don't offer a recovering drunk one sip of a bottle and expect him to never drink again.

Thank you to all those who served in your countries military as a paratrooper.
Hi Kurt, What a nice reply, many thanks for your good wishes. Ken

Hi Phil, I must say that I don’t miss parachuting. I think that at that time the US and UK had a vast difference in their military budget, there was no opportunity for recreational jumps only tactical training ones were carried out. The day before would be for rigging heavy equipment and synthetic ground training, no sleep, getting to the airfield, a few hours away in uncomfortable trucks, the jump would usually be below 1000ft at night so that you would be in position for first light to start a three or four day field exercise. Except for initial training my memories of jumps were of being tired, cold, hungry and generally knackered. I was deployed for much of my service so never had the opportunity to get in many jumps, only about thirty in all. For all that, being young with like minded comrades was a good time and led me to circumstances that strongly influenced the rest of a very happy life.

Me, deployed for a year in Yemen. Same place, same general conflict, 55 years apart, why do world leaders never learn.

View attachment 410462
A cocky looking chap, young at heart and I do see that same smile in your current profile photo.

Hello, Thanks for joining me again and for showing interest in this log.
I continued with the build by installing the inner walls of the lower deck and starting the hull planking. Again because I'd cut the pieces from the plan they were a perfect fit and went in easily. First I planked the stern then to the hard part, I had little experience at planking hulls and as I mentioned earlier there were no online tutorials that I could draw on, to compound things this was a single planked hull using 2ml thick planks. I didn't know of correct practices so I just got stuck in as best as I could and tried to keep the planks tight to each other and their run natural. I used white wood glue, can't remember the brand but it grabbed quickly and worked well. I can remember taking special care to wipe away any glue residue as I noticed that on a previous build this had caused issues when varnishing. After about a dozen planks had been fitted I gave it a light sanding to get an idea of its finish and was pleasantly surprised, it gave me the encouragement I needed to continue.

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Hello and welcome once more. Today’s instalment is the making of the gun ports, these are built into the hull rather than cut out of the planking for the openings I decided to plank accurately up to and around the ports. I fitted balsa blocks each side of the ports to give the planks something to glue onto, and when fitted I painted them red. It wasn’t difficult at this scale 1:50 and it went well, I thought that this was a good time to start building some of the main gun deck details, gratings etc. as well as the upper deck beams. So far so good, things were going well.

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

17a.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, just another short update showing how I finished off the gun deck. For simulating the tree nails I cut off a small length from a syringe needle and fitted it into the end of a soldering iron, when heated a few seconds pressed into the wood left the marks shown. The diameter of the needle can be any size you need. this also worked effectivly when I used it on the wales. Perhaps a bit neater would have been better but I was learning.

022.jpg

023.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 410462

That photo reminds me of 6 years (1982-1988) spent in Oman with much of the time spent in the mountains of Musandam. Not military but working alongside the Sultan's forces, some of whom were Brits. While we were there a British paratroop instructor won a medal for saving an Omani trainee whose chute got tangled while training for a record for stacking. Great times!

Hello, just another short update showing how I finished off the gun deck. For simulating the tree nails I cut off a small length from a syringe needle and fitted it into the end of a soldering iron, when heated a few seconds pressed into the wood left the marks shown. The diameter of the needle can be any size you need. this also worked effectivly when I used it on the wales. Perhaps a bit neater would have been better but I was learning.

View attachment 411155

View attachment 411156
‏Dear Ken
I too will join to all our good friends and follow your impressive and beautiful work as always, and also get a tip/trick or two.
Good luck my friend

Back