Wappen von Hamburg I - 1667, Scale 1/50

@ Hubac's Historian, thank you very much!

The lower transom has been planked with maple strips, 4 x 0.8. The gunport openings remain closed.

IMG_20210915_081330.jpg

The planking of the lower gun deck has been started. Before milling the planking strips, black paper has been laminated to the 4 mm maple sheet to simulate the caulking.

IMG_20210727_204108.jpg

Deck furniture, like the mizzen mast step and capstan bases are provided, gratings are next on the list.

IMG_20210915_081352.jpg

Your caulking is looking very good!
Which type of paper did you use (g/m2?) - did you fix it with wood-glue?

This will be very interesting build to watch and follow :)
I'm taking a seat ;)

Cheers,
Matt

What is that addition on your proxxon? A LED light fixture? Thanks! Lou

Last edited:
Hallo Community,

Here I would like to introduce my new project which I intend start now.
It is the Brandenburg convoy ship “Wapen of Hamburg I ” of 1667 according to the Corel plan set in the scale 1/50.

After a long search, I finally could buy a set of fittings and plan set of the Corel kit only which serves as the base for my construction. The book by Wolfgang Quinger is meant as an additional reference.

The start of construction and further details will follow soon.

View attachment 90276
Hallo Udo alias @Bounty1787
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

A belated thank you for the birthday wishes and your Likes!

The gratings are done and installed, the deck planking has been continued, before completion I will take care for the bulwarks and waterways first.

The grating openings are constructed way smaller as per the drawings. The dimensions given are coming close to a actual opening width of 150 mm.

Unfortunately I do not have any construction photos of the gratings because I smashed accidently my phone before downloading the photos...... bad luck...

20211120_105922.jpg

20211120_105942.jpg

20211120_105952.jpg

Hello Udo. This is a great build so far. Just a suggestion. On your closed gunports, the planking does not follow the pattern of the rest of the stern. I would suggest that they be the same.

I really like maple on decks, nice figure and makes the caulk stand out great! Looks awesome! Great technique also…

Thank you guys for your comments and Likes, much appreciated !

On your closed gunports, the planking does not follow the pattern of the rest of the stern. I would suggest that they be the same.
Thanks Heinrich for your suggestion.
During the installation of the planking I also thougt about the run of the planks. Since I have not found any refernces or drawings confirming the plank pattern on the gunport lids, I did it the same way as shown in this photos ( link ) of a beautiful model of the WvH.

The lower deck plywood patterns have been cutted and adjusted. The instructions suggest to paint these patterns only, although it will hardly be visible afterwards I will simulate the bulwark planks and waterways.

I will also construct the gunport linings deviating from the drawings. The gun port openings in the plywood patterns are sawn fairly larger to allow the linings passing trough.

Next task was to remove the bulkhead stubbs in preparation for a waterway. For the waterway a maple strip 3 x 5mm has been profiled and installed, followed by the completion of the deck planking up to the waterway.

The last planks along the waterway are not laid true to the original,only sharpened instead of the interlocking system. Due to the later full invisibility, I didn't want to implement a complicated installation here.

Now, as the hull skeleton became real rigid and sturdy, it is time to commence with the lower hull planking prior to the continuation of the bulwark planking.

20220326_091332.jpg

20220326_091358.jpg

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

Hallo Community,

Here I would like to introduce my new project which I intend start now.
It is the Brandenburg convoy ship “Wapen of Hamburg I ” of 1667 according to the Corel plan set in the scale 1/50.

After a long search, I finally could buy a set of fittings and plan set of the Corel kit only which serves as the base for my construction. The book by Wolfgang Quinger is meant as an additional reference.

The start of construction and further details will follow soon.
Hallo my friend, Hallo @Bounty1787
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back