Wasa by Corel

So above the first planks laid down of the second planking there needs to be these planks which are blue stained in the kit which is probably an older kit as I purchased on eBay. My issue is years ago the Wasa was thought to be blue but research has now shown this to be red in color. What would you do remain blue or change to red. Pretty Much nobody where I’m from is gonna know the difference. The blue stain would look really good because it is just a stain and if I tried to change this I would have to paint. ThoughtsView attachment 111896View attachment 111896View attachment 111896

The colours of blue or red are really a choice of how much you want to replicate the original ship. The museum’s research now reliably says that the ship topsides were red. While the ship looks good in blue, you, personally know that it will not be right.

On the other hand, if you are well past reverting to red, I fully understand the difficulty in reworking jobs already completed. You work looks excellent so far. Good luck with your continuing build.

Regards,
Peter G.

Hi Kageecanuck,
The research the Vasamuseet had done is excellent. So I think it's better to follow their findings to get a reliable model. A Vasa with the correct color-sheme is always a head-turner.
You can cover the areas with a white primer and paint it vermilion-red. This is a bright red.
Thats my proposal. I also built a red Vasa.

Cheers, Alexander

Last edited:
152D159E-9242-4A99-95DC-8BF755C332AC.jpeg7F1418F0-4741-4576-8989-AA9002A1A02E.jpeg9B35A84B-7CCD-42D2-8300-2B3F01DF73F4.jpegA175C6FB-31AC-4AC1-ACC6-8BE3E9A24183.jpegWell I haven’t posted in a while so I better catch up because I have been busy l. Corel is great when it comes to the second planking. Everything is set up for you which boards to put where and how many and when you get down to a certain point you just finish the second planking in mahogany.

Back