WEASELWORKS SHIP'S WHEEL FOR YUANQING

This is the result of Prototype #4. This was printed at 20 micron layer thickness and brings the full details of the design into view. The spokes are now consistent, stable and warp free. No deformations, delamination, nor stringers.

1624028482_5745_FT40094_img_1262.jpg

An ultrasonic scrubbing bath in Simple Green cleans the parts as well as ensuring as smooth a surface as possible.

1624036633_5745_FT40094_img_1263.jpg

66 Bluenose wheels in the oven!!! We will know what the print success rate is in 1.5 hours.

1624044030_5745_FT40094_img_1267.jpg

I know there are many on this Group Build that is very compassionate about what they do and of course, it shows. As well as those that love to produce CNC, 3D printing (all of which I know nothing about) And I am thankful that we have people willing to give of their time to do so. The ones contributing their talent to make the wheel are also very compassionate about what they do. I prefer that everyone that wishes to contribute feely so that the modeler can be satisfied with whatever method (wheel) he or she chooses. It is ALL good for the hobby and to keep the interest alive and well (and healthy).

I personally think Mike did a great job!
I have no desire to mass produce anything. I simply want to build a ship!
But recently it dawned on me, I could use my CAD skills, that I make a living with, to make my own parts with a printer. The printer I used is not nearly as nice, its a plastic printer, and it is old and quirky, requiring constant adjustments. The first couple of prints had stringers. This required adjustments to the retraction settings, and ultimately I had to change the temperature setting. Some plastics, due to temperature requirements are more prone to stringers. Anyway, I’m not going to bore or confuse you with technical stuff you may not understand. So let’s just say resin is superior to plastic as far as printing goes. But resin printers have their own set of headaches and adjustments to deal with. It is also more expensive than plastic, both the printer and the material. And it doesn’t stop there, because there is other chemicals and tools required to get the job done. So let’s just say I can appreciate, perhaps more than some, what Mike is accomplishing and the work behind it.
Good work Mike! You should look into the Formlabs Form 3L (LFS) printer…very nice!

Last edited:
i too, like Dean work with CAD, 3D modeling and printing, laser cutting and it a totally different skill set than building model ships. For someone to step up and say hey i think we can improve this or that is a great step in the right direction for the hobby at large.
Good job Mike

The 166 Bluenose wheels have been shipped to Yuan Qing.

For their benefit, Mike has also included the STL files and the a PDF with the technical specs for their own manufacturing process

thumbnail_Bluenose Wheel.png

Mike also has another 45 wheels available for shipping to SoS members. Shipping will be FREE for USA customers. International customers will be charged shipping only via PayPal.

Please notify me via PM if you want one of these wheels.

All that remains from my side is to extend a last word of thanks to Mike and Jodie!

Hello Everyone

All USA wheels (according to those members who PM'ed me) were mailed out via First Class mail.

Mike has included 2 wheels in each package as a courtesy which will give the modeller a spare in case they have problems while painting or installing the wheel. Each wheel has also been clipped from its spruce to reduce shipping weight and minimize damage risk.

Thank you so much Mike!

Back