What’s up with Jim Byrnes?

Wow. Unbelievable Frank.
They just lost a husband and father while dealing with this insidious disease and you’re upset over a website……..

Show some respect.

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my typed word.... My intention was not to be worried whether or not if I'm going to get a machine, but to inquire that if he was such a large part of the community, why they wouldn't have posted something to let everyone know that he had passed & what was going on.
My personality type is very "realist", and I tend to be rather blunt, it's who I am and will not apologize for it, but I will apologize if it was taken the wrong way.

Wow, this is sad news. I never spoke with Jim, but spoke quite a few times with Donna on the phone. She is a wonderful person. She was happy to answer all my questions and I had a LOT of questions as I own every tool Jim made and was on the rope walk waiting list as Jim was thinking about starting up a short, limited production run due to the many requests he was getting for it.

It curdles my stomach to hear people talking about website communication and how they expected this or that. This is a hobby! What Donna and her family are going through is a loss of life. I don't like to be judgmental of anyone, but this type of behavior is so disappointing. Please have some respect!

PS: There is a difference between "blunt" and "insensitive". It can be found in Webster's dictionary. I have short comings in my own. I am aware of them and I'm constantly trying better myself. While I'm not always successful, I never blame my behavior on my "personality". I apologize sincerely and move on. <rant off>

Last edited:
Having owned the Byrnes machines table saw and also the Proxxon table saw, there is no comparison. The Byrnes is far superior in my opinion.
Hi Bryian. You have to fight the FET, the Byrnes transforms your building as soon as you switch it on! I've even managed to cut a 0.3mm thick 'plank', (as an experiment)
£240 postage to the UK, but wish I'd done it years ago!
Personally I consider Proxxon saws to be vastly overpriced, all Proxxon stuff is overpriced and requires work for them to operate smoothly, bearings etc.

Wow, this is sad news. I never spoke with Jim, but spoke quite a few times with Donna on the phone. She is a wonderful person. She was happy to answer all my questions and I had a LOT of questions as I own every too Jim made and was on the rope walk waiting list as Jim was thinking about starting up a short, limited production run due to the many requests he was getting for it.

It curdles my stomach to hear people talking about website communication and how they expected this or that. This is a hobby! What Donna and her family are going through is a loss of life. I don't like to be judgmental of anyone, but this type of behavior is so disappointing to witness. Please have some f***ing respect!

PS: There is a difference between "blunt" and "insensitive". It can be found in Webster's dictionary. I have short comings in my own personality. I am aware of them and I'm constantly trying better myself. While I'm not always successful, I never blame my behavior on my "personality". I apologize sincerely and move on. <rant off>
Hey Ken, Please remember that we just found out he passed. :)
Truely sad.

Hey Ken, Please remember that we just found out he passed. :)
Yes, I am aware we just found out. I'm not sure how that is relevant to my post in whish I cited my personal respect for Donna and her family and my disappointment with certain insensitive behavior. I am always trying to see things from others' perspective. Please share what I am missing?

If you are referring to my admonishment of the behavior I tried to be as objective as I could. If you are referring to my use of the adjective I felt the need to use is to express the level of my disappointment. I thought I was being respectful by using ****.

It was not my intent to offend anyone, but to express the level of my disappointment. As it has offended you I have removed it. My apologies. (and I will move on).

Last edited:
Yes, I am aware we just found out. I'm not sure how that is relevant to my post in whish I cited my personal respect for Donna and her family and my disappointment with certain insensitive behavior. I am always trying to see things from others' perspective. Please share what I am missing?
Most of the comments about the web site were made before we were aware. And I don't think anyone intended to be rude. We were only commenting that they had the notice on their website for a while and kept changing the "return to business" date.

Most of the comments about the web site were made before we were aware. And I don't think anyone intended to be rude. We were only commenting that they had the notice on their website for a while and kept changing the "return to business" date.
THE comment I was referring to was the one the person made AFTER he was aware of Jim's passing. You stated "we". Everyone's comments and condolences were respectful. I was not referring to the group. SoS members always strive to be respectful and understanding. The exception to that came from one individual that I felt was so egregious I needed to call it out. No excuse.

Thanks for explaining and I appreciate you sharing.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear Jim passed away so quickly. Recently had email contact with Donna regarding purchase of several drawplates for a group of EU modelers.
Using Jims thickness sander which is a formidable machine.

My condoleances to Donna and family.
Jim leaves a great legacy in machines for our hobby.

@FrankW
You are ok my friend - please do not worry. We all express our sadness. I did not know if you were keeping us informed or not -

To the rest of the group, this is why I think so many members are not showing their family members, or friends have some type of knowledge on one simple thing:

give your password and username to people you trust so that when that unfortunate time comes, the friends or companions can reach out to us.

@FrankW
You are ok my friend - please do not worry. We all express our sadness. I did not know if you were keeping us informed or not -

To the rest of the group, this is why I think so many members are not showing their family members, or friends have some type of knowledge on one simple thing:

give your password and username to people you trust so that when that unfortunate time comes, the friends or companions can reach out to us.
Donnie,
That's a great idea. I will be making sure my wife can contact our group tonight!

Hi Bryian. You have to fight the FET, the Byrnes transforms your building as soon as you switch it on! I've even managed to cut a 0.3mm thick 'plank', (as an experiment)
£240 postage to the UK, but wish I'd done it years ago!
Personally I consider Proxxon saws to be vastly overpriced, all Proxxon stuff is overpriced and requires work for them to operate smoothly, bearings etc.
I'm preparing to make a new fence for my FET, from 1" Sq. aluminium, to go the full width of the table, & attempt to improve (if that's possible) the locking, which when set, moves as soon as the locking lever is set.

The Byrnes Model Machine site is open again for orders.

Let all us remember how much he has done for this hobby. His obituary will pop up when you open the site. For me was the first time I see his picture. And being of a similar age, make me think how fast life can end. I am really feeling bad for this outcome but at the same time happy to see that his legacy will stay with us, "ship modelers", for many years to come!!!.

Let's continue enjoying each day of whatever we have left.

Daniel

I'm preparing to make a new fence for my FET, from 1" Sq. aluminium, to go the full width of the table, & attempt to improve (if that's possible) the locking, which when set, moves as soon as the locking lever is set.
I don't know how you'll do it, but I think it's best to get rid of the lever system completely.

Back