Discussion What are the Rotary tools in your tools chest?

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

While browsing many posts, daily, I came across where members are using rotary tools for various tasks. Members use these tools to shape the planks, fair the frames, not to mention as parts of the jigs, and all other tasks you can think of. Whether the rotary tool knocks out metal grinding or helps just drill the holes, it becomes one of the essential tools to look at in our tool's chest.

This thread, however, is not a buying guide, nor a review of rotary tools available at our disposal. The idea is to share\express your experience with the rotary tools you own; what you like the most, and what would turn you down to use it again. Here, we don't want to advertise brands and their products. I hope we will not discuss what tool is better and why. We shouldn't discuss the price, either. As suggested, a pure experience of yours to suffice, one of the requirements just to be honest! ;)

I will lead this thread with the rotary tools I own, and hope others will chime in later. I think it should give a better idea for newcomers what rotary tools to choose the next Christmas or as a Birthday gift from the family.

Over the years of my ship modeling experience, I have acquired a collection of rotary tools. Some of those are old but still do an excellent daily job, and some of them are pretty new, and I rarely use them. The tools are chosen by the task I need to perform, they all have different properties as you would guess. For the relative size idea, I included the pencil on the right side.

600_3781.jpg

• Let's start with the bottom one. It is called 'Grinder', I am not kidding, this is what the label said. It is well made, has a removable\rechable battery, and has the mini chuck key to exchange bits. I used it only a few times since it was acquired last year. Here is why: this grinder has luck on some of my preferences I wish to know while researching. The motor is very good and smooth, but the On\Off switch is located at the end and cannot be used if you require a sudden stop. One of the minor drawbacks, is you have to use a hole in the spindle housing to secure the bits in the chuck. But the main disappointment - is it doesn't have a variable speed. I use it only when I need a specific tool for a long time, for example, fairing the frames with a sanding drum.
  • The next one will be my Dremel Micro. This is my working horse of all my rotary tools. It is my oldest rotary tool and I used it for most of my tasks. I cannot recall, it was a while back, but it comes with a collet system, and I instantly converted it to a chuck mostly to rapidly interchange the drill bits of various diameters. BTW, never regret doing so. I like the charging station and its compact design. My Roayl Charles Yacht was made using this toll, as I didn't have others. it does have the light around the chuck, it helps me to drill holes inside my Alert model. The only thing I would consider an inconvenience is always starting with a constant set speed, then you will have to select the one you desire. The motor is not very powerful but does the job.
  • Another from the Demel family is the only wired rotary tool. I bought it unexpectedly, a few years back because it was an open box and affordable. But I fell in love instantly while using it. I believe I replaced the collet system with chuck for the same reason as the bigger brother. I bought it in mind for very delicate drilling with the smallest possible drill bit. Yes, I predrill 0.3mm holes for brass treenails on the Alert shot locker. With the minimum speed you can set, I have not broken a single drill bit, YEA! It is really small and comfortable in your hands for a long time of drilling. Also, I use it when setting the round head on the bolt's imitation, works like a charm. Its small and ergonomic design is very convenient for carving with bits. The only somewhat disappointing is the power wire, no...no.., it is long enough but...gets in your way and limits your freedom. :( But...this has been resolved with my next device.
  • The 'Red' one on top of the image, is the size of a mechanical pencil and very quiet when 'On'. Also has variable speed control, overload protection, and a rechargeable USB port. I don't think it has the potential for most work we required but...here it comes but...When I purchase this tool, it doesn't come with a collet system or the chuck. The head hole can accept any tool of 2.35mm in diameter and tighten with a hex screw on both sides. I purchased an adapter for super small drill bits, and permanently install it in the head. Now, I can use very small drill bits starting 0.2mm and use this stylish tool where it is required very gentle drilling...and no cord for convenience. Today, I see many variations of this tool, where some of them come with an In\out lock system to hold the bits.
  • The last one is the Proxxon EBS (I believe). It didn't fit in the above image simply because it is permanently installed in the drill press attachment. I think it is the most powerful\ and versatile tool in my collection. It is built to last with precision in mind. It comes using the standard Proxxon collet system and variable speed control. If you read to this point, you already know that I am not a big fan of collet systems in rotary tools. It is Ok when you have all of your drill bits on the standard shaft. But what happened if you don't? I have many sizes of standard drill bits and would like to use them. Unfortunately, I couldn't add a chuck to this one, it doesn't design for the chuck replacement. Alternatively, I bought a flexible shaft and headpiece, the handpiece does come with the chuck, but... I couldn't mount the tool without causing too much noise and vibration and the flexible shaft got in my way so it is still in the closet. :p Since I didn't have a miniature drill press, I decided to convert this rotary tool into a drill press. This is still my best setup and this toll is awesome for the purpose it is suited now. Pairing with the coordinate table it makes a device of my choice still. I am using it daily for drilling, and with a special setup, I use it as the mini-lathe to fabricate trucks for gun carriages
600_3782.jpg

Well, this is all about the rotary tools I use. What about you folks? I am waiting for your stories and experiences with yours. What are the rotary tools in your tool's chest?

Aside from a benchtop Delta drill press, and the 1964 Linley jig borer which functions as my mill, the portable rotary tools below are what I have, and they work well. The Dremel oscillating cutter is my favorite tool for doing large amounts of kit bashing. It it used for plunge cutting gun port holes and cutting away bulkhead and frames and entire sections of hull that require rework or heavy modification. Those of you who have followed my build logs can attest that brave but careful application of this awesome tool of destruction has contributed much to my current build.

The Dremel 4300 is required for when you need some serious cutting, grinding and wood shaping with diamond bits and burrs. The removeable light fixture at the front is particularly useful. The battery powered Dremel 7350 still has enough power to be useful, is more compact, but is only single speed. I use it mainly for drilling tiny holes and occasional sanding in corners. I used the chuck on both tools instead of the collets for the quick changing of tool bits.
IMG_1886.JPG

Mult-purpose cutting tool. See my HMS Sovereign of the Seas build log for a demonstration of its abilities. If you do lots of heavy kit bashing, you want one.
IMG_1887.JPG

I have the 90 degree attachment with is a wonderful addition to the Dremel. It allows me to get into all the fiddly areas.
Can this attachment suitable for all Dremel models or only specific ones?

The image of one of the smallest rotary tools was distorted so I decide to post it separately along with the attachment for it (bought separately). This is the size of the mechanical pencil. Each time you press the power button increases the speed (top row of lights), and the bottom row shows the battery level.

IMG_2585.jpeg

The image of one of the smallest rotary tools was distorted so I decide to post it separately along with the attachment for it (bought separately). This is the size of the mechanical pencil. Each time you press the power button increases the speed (top row of lights), and the bottom row shows the battery level.

View attachment 342528
Good torque??

I used no battery powered drills. I got power on my workspace. For the heavy work I use also a Dremel (300) Old one, once bought back in 2005 and never used till I started modelbuilding in 2019. Used a lot since then. It came with a flex.shaft and bought a drill stand for it incl. an attachment to make a handheld router of your dremel. Strong but to strong for woodcarving and also to heavy to work to long with it.

IMG_3058.JPGIMG_3060.JPG

I also got a small drill with high speed, it was a present that came with the Prins Willem. Old but perfect to drill straight holes. Seems to be designed for drilling electrical circuit boards. Makes a lot of noise because of the high speed.

IMG_3061.JPG

For woodcarving and sometimes for drilling holes by hand, I use a electric nail sander, used by the lady's to sand acrylic nails. But extremly perfect to shape ornaments of ships. The drill is light in the hand and you can hold it close to the mill. Variable speed. Not very strong but for shaping small parts perfect.
Got a lot of drills, endmills and other stuff to use with it. An extra handset for 3,175 shafts (standard 2,35 mm)
Next to the lightweight of the handpiece it is also very silent. Important when you carve. Carving takes hours and the dremel makes your hands shaking and ears deaf. This one not.
IMG_3054.JPGIMG_3055.JPGIMG_3056.JPGIMG_3057.JPGIMG_3059.JPG

On the last picture are HSS drills, these come with 10 in a tube. from 0,3 to 2,0 mm in steps of 0,05 mm. Price of a tube about 1 to 3 euro. But they are long lasting and don't break easy.

Les felicito a todos pues me han aportado conocimientos en el uso del tipo de máquinas a utilizar en muchos casos. Saludos

I congratulate you all because you have given me knowledge in the use of the type of machines to use in many cases. Cheers
This is what we aimed for and This is what we all want to hear from our members, Juan! Thank you!

I used no battery powered drills. I got power on my workspace. For the heavy work I use also a Dremel (300) Old one, once bought back in 2005 and never used till I started modelbuilding in 2019. Used a lot since then. It came with a flex.shaft and bought a drill stand for it incl. an attachment to make a handheld router of your dremel. Strong but to strong for woodcarving and also to heavy to work to long with it.
Sounds like you are set, mon 'ami! So...if I understand, you don't have\use any cordless rotary toll? ;) Are there any major reasons?

Being a retired dentist I use my old handpiece and old burs, also many old dental instruments. Ask your dentist for items he no longer needs, or are a bit worn out. He will be glad to give to you

Sounds like you are set, mon 'ami! So...if I understand, you don't have\use any cordless rotary toll? ;) Are there any major reasons?
No, I don't have cordless rotary tools. The most reason is, I don't like to charge. Mostly the battery is empty when I'm busy and have fun drilling. Then the fun is over. With cord more power and never an empty bat. (Especially when carving, this takes a lot of power in a long time) Oh wait I have 1 cordless drill for assemble the IKEA table or wardrobe. Or hang a painting on the wall.

Being a retired dentist I use my old handpiece and old burs, also many old dental instruments. Ask your dentist for items he no longer needs, or are a bit worn out. He will be glad to give to you
Oh...man, I wish my friend @dockattner were a dentist so I can ask for some tools, but he is actually an orthodontist :p and I recently learned those are not the same.

Back