Discussion What are the Rotary tools in your tools chest?

The most useful rotary tooling I have found are the abrasive impregnated rubber brushes which come in several grit sizes, I buy them from China on eBay and they are not expensive. I find the most useful are the coarser grades which are great for cleaning up soldering jobs, (I build a lot of brass locos). I also use dental burrs in various shapes and small rotary sanding disks and sanding drums. Doug Hey (Heroiclegs) NZs-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I agree 100%. These are my favorite rotary tool abrasives. I have them in various grits and combined with my Foredom Micrommotor I can adjust to any speed depending on the requirement.

Dremel Compatibility
Useful information?
I had a corded Dremel that failed after a relatively short life. Unwilling to spend money replacing something that had let me down I opted for a cheaper Tacklife rotary tool. I have just taken a chance and bought a Dremel worksattion hoping it would fit the Tacklife. It does.

My Certa corded rotary tool is fabulous and more powerful than others I have owned, so good that I have obtained another new one to sit in my workshop as a spare for if ever it is needed. I dislike collets as a means of holding tooling, they are too fiddly and time consuming, instead I use the small keyless chucks available on eBay from China at very small cost, often with free or tiny international post. (what a boon that is) no wonder China can out trade the world. These chucks can adjust down to the smallest possible size drills or tooling.

Doug Hey NZ
s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Its not just laziness for me but a chuck allows quick changes from burrs to drills to sanders to polishers and back again, infinitely better than collets for convenience.

Doug Hey NZ

Generally speaking, collets are more precise than those small keyless chucks. If you have most of your tooling on a common-size shank, it also makes it quick for interchange.

Does anyone know where to get aluminum oxide cutting discs? They are wafer thin. I used to buy them at Home depot. Haven't seen any in years.

Generally speaking, collets are more precise than those small keyless chucks. If you have most of your tooling on a common-size shank, it also makes it quick for interchange.
You are right about greater precision but if you are changing between tiny number drills all with different shank diameters some as small as .020" then the collets are useless and not even available in these small sizes as far as I can see.

Doug Hey NZ

Back