Discussion What are the Rotary tools in your tools chest?

What are you using for a compressor Jim? And how are you regulating the air pressure?
Am not using the highspeed
Oh...man, I wish my friend @dockattner were a dentist so I can ask for some tools, but he is actually an orthodontist :p and I recently learned those are not the same.
Oh...man, I wish my friend @dockattner were a dentist so I can ask for some tools, but he is actually an orthodontist :p and I recently learned those are not the same.

Oh...man, I wish my friend @dockattner were a dentist so I can ask for some tools, but he is actually an orthodontist :p and I learn it is not the same.
Ha! Now it gets complicated...in order to be an orthodontist you first have to be a dentist...so I'm both :p. Educational requirements: college 4 years - dental school 4 years - orthodontic school 3 years. I was almost 30 years old before I got my first real job...

Dentistry is yucky so I'm happy to be an orthodontist.

The image of one of the smallest rotary tools was distorted so I decide to post it separately along with the attachment for it (bought separately). This is the size of the mechanical pencil. Each time you press the power button increases the speed (top row of lights), and the bottom row shows the battery level.

View attachment 342528
Hello Jim
Sorry to bother you, this looks like a great tool especially as a drill is it easy to convert & what fittings would I need to convert it.
Kind Regards
Dave

HI ALL I HAVE AT LEAST 10 DREMELLS AND MAYBE 5 OTHER TYPES. MOST OF THE DRMELLS ARE 395 TYPE 5. WHAT I DO IS GO TO EBAY(ROTARY TOOLS) AND GET THEM FOR MAYBE $6.00 IF ONE GOES BAD I JUST TOSS IT SO FAR MOST ARE WORKING FINE. CAN HAVE MAY READY FOR DIFFERENT USEES WITHOUT BOTHERING TO CHANGE. JUST ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Great forum here, if you have a bad breath they help you out here.

Ontopic. I use the light nail rotary tool because I have osteoarthritis in my hands, wrist and shoulders. And when using a dremel, even with the flexible shaft. The vibrations are to much and after an hour my hands hurt. The nail rotary tool don't vibrate, it's very still. Something to think about when you go shopping for a tool, what does it to my body when using it for a couple of hours.

I have several Dremel tools of various models. One is set up in the Dremel drill press. That gets a lot of use. Others are used for sanding with the variety of sanding attachments. I also have a battery rotary tool…that one I have set up with micro drill bits. It is low speed but high torque. Of all of the rotary bits, I use the sanding bits the most. Then drill bits. I would recommend at least one Dremel tool and a variety of sanding bits and a set of micro drill bits for anyone starting out.

For really good torque, you need to stick to the A/C powered tools, but the battery Dremels sand and cut just fine. The pen size ones, probably not.
I was wondering... but I have 3 Dremels. And a rotary tool that has 4 collet sizes and as much torque as you might want. Primarly interested in a thin tool that might effectively drill small holes in hard-to-reach places. Screenshot_20221126-074932_Chrome.jpg

I have the Wen rotary too with the flex shaft. And more bits than I can count. Curiously alot of the routing bits are made in Russia...well, the writing on the boxes are in cryllic....

Hello Jim
Sorry to bother you, this looks like a great tool especially as a drill is it easy to convert & what fittings would I need to convert it.
Kind Regards
Dave
Hello, Dave! You are not bothering at all, all our threads are informative in mind to exchange information with others. I bought this adapter at Micromark (an online store) last year. If I can find the actual product name, I will post it later.

Great forum here, if you have a bad breath they help you out here.

Ontopic. I use the light nail rotary tool because I have osteoarthritis in my hands, wrist and shoulders. And when using a dremel, even with the flexible shaft. The vibrations are to much and after an hour my hands hurt. The nail rotary tool don't vibrate, it's very still. Something to think about when you go shopping for a tool, what does it to my body when using it for a couple of hours.
if you pair it with a foot switch it should be a very good device for power carving!!

I have the Wen rotary too with the flex shaft. And more bits than I can count. Curiously alot of the routing bits are made in Russia...well, the writing on the boxes are in cryllic....
if you can supply an image, that would be great!

I have worn out a couple Dremel cord-type, and they are not cheap. So I began buying the Black & Decker RTX 3-speed which is inexpensive, reliable, and powerful (and sold at WALMART). The cordless ytpe of rotary tool is my favorite for general work, tho. I immediately install variable drill chucks on all of them.

MR. GOOSE

I have worn out a couple Dremel cord-type, and they are not cheap. So I began buying the Black & Decker RTX 3-speed which is inexpensive, reliable, and powerful (and sold at WALMART). The cordless ytpe of rotary tool is my favorite for general work, tho. I immediately install variable drill chucks on all of them.

MR. GOOSE
Can you please provide photos of the black and decker rotary tools?

I'm a tool hog. I may need professional help. I'm not showing another cordless Dremel or another Foredom cable handset. Enough said.
I can see some familiar tools, Ken. How is your experience with Foreedom tools (I see a handpiece from it)?

Jim, Foredom is a leader in the industry, as I'm sure you know. The sliver handpiece is one of their standard "middle" line up pieces, quick connect and cable driven. Super torquey and very solid for heavy work. I have another of their handpieces, not shown, that has the quick-connect on the mandrel end. They have collet options for the standard mandrel diameters. Both tools are very capable.

With that said, I have not used them in quite some time as they are pretty much redundant to the 3rd Foredom handpiece, which is the dark gray one just above
the orange cordless pen. That too is a Foredom tool and hands down the best I've ever worked with. It is a brushless micro motor. Love brushless as there are no heat vents that allow dust to pass onto the motor elements, which cause issues over the life of the tool. And, of course, no brushes to wear out. It is soooo smooth and soooo quiet it is very hard to hear it running until you hit 30,000 RPM. It has a range of 1,000-50,000 RPM. But what I was so impressed with is the torque.

It's a bit pricey, but I've always found, for the most part, we get what we pay for. I love it so much, I may get rid of my other Foredom handpieces, drive motor, stand and foot pedal.

thumbnail.jpg

Back