What to do when you've hit the shipbuilding wall?

Maybe it's Covid, the time of the year, or just plain laziness on my part but I seem to have hit the wall when it comes to model shipbuilding. I have some great kits laying in wait but...argh :( Should I push on and keep working through it or just take a break? Just wanted to share the pain with folks that understand.

Happy Holidays from Canada! :)

With me the modelling enthusiazm is also coming and going. May be this is beginning of a new phase of your life where there is no place for shipmodelling?

Hi Reg, I think all of us lose enthusiasm for model building from time to time.

I am fortunate to have other hobbies like kayak fishing and gardening to pass the time.

Last edited:
Should I push on and keep working through it or just take a break?
If you are not enjoying it then stop and take a break.
Once it becomes work, not a hobby that you take pleasure in, it is possible you can grow to not like modelling ships at all (sacrilege).
When I feel burn't out I read a book, research interesting things, watch historical movies or just do other hobbies for a while- but I always come back.

The winter weather (your side of the world) also tends to give you a bit of a downer after a nice summer.

Last edited:
I think we all take time off now and again.
I look at the build logs for inspiration. There are some mighty fine craftsmen (and women) on the site that will get you back on track.
Sometimes I just build small additional parts for completed ships out of leftover materials.
You will know when to return to your shipyard.

Thats what plastic models are for! ( I like airplanes or cars) Seriously - sometimes a change of media is just what you need to make you miss the awesomeness of wood.... or you can get a feeling of accomplishment relatively quickly building plastic, but it is a different skill set.

I put on a maritime movie, such as Master and Commander, Moby Dick, Horatio Hornblower, Sea Hawk, Mutiny on the Bounty etc,, My favorite lately is the mini series "Black Sails". It's 12 discs, about 3 to 4 hrs per disc. About pirates in and around the Bahamas circa 1715 approx. Anything nautical oriented. Always gets me motivated.

I put on a maritime movie, such as Master and Commander, Moby Dick, Horatio Hornblower, Sea Hawk, Mutiny on the Bounty etc,, My favorite lately is the mini series "Black Sails". It's 12 discs, about 3 to 4 hrs per disc. About pirates in and around the Bahamas circa 1715 approx. Anything nautical oriented. Always gets me motivated.
Interesting series. I may have to put it on my to watch list.

Black sails is a good series. The first two seasons were the best ones.
I'm watching 'The Last Kingdom' at the moment about the Danish/Norse invasion of Saxon England, King Alfred the great, and other historical events circa 890s. All based around a fictional character and his adventures.

Black sails is a good series. The first two seasons were the best ones.
I'm watching 'The Last Kingdom' at the moment about the Danish/Norse invasion of Saxon England, King Alfred the great, and other historical events circa 890s. All based around a fictional character and his adventures.
I just reserved a series of 4 from the library.... will be checking it out. Are there more than 4?

Happens to most if not all of us, forcing just makes the work worse and more frustrating

Thats what plastic models are for! ( I like airplanes or cars) Seriously - sometimes a change of media is just what you need to make you miss the awesomeness of wood.... or you can get a feeling of accomplishment relatively quickly building plastic, but it is a different skill set.
Yep that is my cup of coffee (or glass of cognac) I am currently almost hit the wall to build my Syren so back to plastic model after 20y. So here what I do. I do 1 step on the Syren then do 1 plane, 1 military vehicle, 1 figurine and a War Hammer regiment. Then ho surprise got the go to work again on the Syren. Srtargazer is right it is different skill and it is so refreshing

My 5 cent

Maybe it's Covid, the time of the year, or just plain laziness on my part but I seem to have hit the wall when it comes to model shipbuilding. I have some great kits laying in wait but...argh :( Should I push on and keep working through it or just take a break? Just wanted to share the pain with folks that understand.

Happy Holidays from Canada! :)
What works for me is to a couple of simple tasks this could be just sharping your knifes and chisels, organize your modeling bench or just do a simple task that will only take a few minutes on what you are working on. Warning the next thing you know its 1:00 AM and your enjoying your modeling..

Jim

Back