What to do when you've hit the shipbuilding wall?

I believe that hitting the wall happens not only with model building, but also with many things in life. I recently suffered a mild bout of wall hitting with the Endeavour when my enthusiasm waned. I believe this was not down to plain disinterest, but more to the fact that I was approaching the difficult stage of mast building and rigging and I kept putting this stage off. I took the plunge yesterday and commenced the manufacture of the bowsprit, boom, and associated yards. All went more or less well and my enthusiasm has grown again.

Human beings tend to procrastinate and with hobbys it is at some stage not entirely different. Are our expectations too high, especially among the beginners, as myself, under-appreciating how much time is involved in building a good standard model ship?
Building a model ship is not like going to work and having to produce results to satisfy employers or customers. We have the choice of when to do it and how much time we can spend on the hobby, but at the same time not losing focus on other things in life. The question is, where does the hobby factor end, and the chore feeling begin?
Jim above suggests reorganizing the shop or sharpening chisels etc. I find that works for me as well. I disassembled two failed hard disks today and extracted the magnets. These have a strong magnetism and easily hold pliers and other tools for the hobby. So, I will make myself a board and use the magnets as tool holders.

Stay safe and hopefully the Corona vaccines will be distributed soon.

Trevor

Maybe it's Covid, the time of the year, or just plain laziness on my part but I seem to have hit the wall when it comes to model shipbuilding. I have some great kits laying in wait but...argh :( Should I push on and keep working through it or just take a break? Just wanted to share the pain with folks that understand.

Happy Holidays from Canada! :)

I'm lucky. I have two residences that I shuttle between and I have a build going in each location. When I get sick of working on one ship it's usually time to head to my other residence (coincidence) and all of a sudden I'm jazzed again to start working on a "new" project. Then, I get sick of that ship and all of a sudden it's time to head back to the other location.....repeat ad nauseum.

Maybe it's Covid, the time of the year, or just plain laziness on my part but I seem to have hit the wall when it comes to model shipbuilding. I have some great kits laying in wait but...argh :( Should I push on and keep working through it or just take a break? Just wanted to share the pain with folks that understand.

Happy Holidays from Canada! :)
I hit a 4-year wall, or as I call it... a creativity doldrum... but it took me a while to realize that there were other aspects in life one would consider “ship building” while my Spanish galleon was put aside; and for me I realized I was metaphorically building my home and my family, as well as some ship building with my career. I started my ship in August 2014, completed most of the hull by summer 2015, then was in a creative “doldrum” for 4 years while my energy went into other important things.

Thanks to self isolation during COVID this summer/fall, I forced myself to reassemble my shipyard and organize my tools, then just start with ONE THING on the ship back in June. That one thing turned into another “one thing”... and so on. After 6 years, I finished in November of this year (2020). One thing I look back on... Had I not been in a 4 year doldrum, I would not have come across some opportunities I had it incorporate special things into this ship. For example, in year two of my creativity “brick wall”, my dad gave me a piece of the oak tree in the film “”Shawshank Redemption”, which I later this year carved into the Spanish lion figurehead on my ship and painted gold. There are other great things like this I incorporated into my ship, with sentimental values and experiences. Most of all, this ship got me through some hard times with self isolation away from family. I celebrated a “launch party” with my family over zoom with a bottle of Ruinart Champaign I picked up on a road trip driving through Reims France back in June.

Cheers .

”Don't spend your entire life building a ship, without ever tasting the salt of the ocean.”
-Alexander Den Heijer

BEE5059A-991F-4A0A-9524-A843B7AF52E5.jpeg9DEF4DF2-2F95-4FDC-AA91-658AABD2892C.jpegF89CCD3C-43F5-440D-A3AD-B67AAEB32EC6.jpeg511920D4-DE7A-4F83-8D31-026A9A155B90.jpegF7508842-7852-4DA9-8403-B5680F56D713.jpeg70B12AA5-BB9E-4AB4-AA75-9779F830E6E0.jpeg6D0D9CEF-F001-4979-A72F-22C7344ED086.jpeg4FF4992B-9E8B-4BF4-99C6-39DBAFCCAECE.jpegB3801583-6B3F-4CA7-91A4-F272E1935B75.jpeg6204CD6A-F0BD-444B-A3C0-C8DC98F05296.jpeg

I just reserved a series of 4 from the library.... will be checking it out. Are there more than 4?
Black sails is a good series. The first two seasons were the best ones.
I'm watching 'The Last Kingdom' at the moment about the Danish/Norse invasion of Saxon England, King Alfred the great, and other historical events circa 890s. All based around a fictional character and his adventures.
I concur with Black sails. When I got back into building my ship, I binged on Black sails every night. There was a scene in one of the final episodes of the ships sailing into Havana harbor by Castle del Morro when it was under Spanish rule. That was a huge moment for me. I bought a painting in Havana back in 2009 of a ship sailing into Havana harbor... a few years later I had it framed and was inspired to build a Spanish galleon... which I started in 2014. Seeing that scene really got me hyped, brought the painting and my ship to life.

366E8F82-8A9B-42E4-A2D5-6629624CEEC1.jpeg34C38D50-5B61-4FB9-A141-E220EB97E307.jpegF42BF151-817F-4334-9597-922E43E81446.jpegF718DAD2-B8B9-4350-A5B2-AFD762595B29.jpeg

I agree with Ab: go to scratch! It keep your mind open for finding new solutions. Again and again and .....
Instead of “do this, than that, etc”. It keeps me more then 30 years working on my Lee :D . Not only for 4 seasons. No, several decades LOL.
And the build of the Ducati goes by a manual. But the extra detailing keeps my mind open.
So, everybody has to find his/her own way.
And now I can’t wait for the Bluenose!
But first finishing The Lee and and the Duc.
And starting with reading the new book of Barack Obama ‘A Promised Land’.
As we say in the Neterlands: ‘A change of food does eat’.

But in between also wallpapered rooms, window frames painted, walls plastered ....
My wife cals often: Do this, do that, do this..... Exactly the sound I often heard at work in my police car......

And when my head is full of thoughts, depending on the weather and season, I took my MTB of street race-bike, or my in-line skates or ice speed-skates, or when there is snow, get my cross-country ski's and get running with my dog.
Oh man, why are there only 24 hours in a day, 7 days in een week etc.........
So, no time to run to the walls.

Regards Peter

Last edited:
Hi RegG. I second what everyone else is saying here. It's way too easy sometimes to start confusing the work ethic with the hobby of ship modelling. And it has long been my observation that nobody is more capable of being an oppressive boss to any of us than we ourselves.

There is some solid psychology behind this discussion. In fact, any creative process, or art form, requires that one must relax to the point that our dominant brainwave activity is somewhere roughly between 7 hertz and 12 hertz (this is called the alpha level). If the frequency is higher than that, we will stare at the work and feel frustrated or distracted by thoughts of other issues. If we feel "blocked" or "stuck" this way the first thing our brain might try to do is to counter it with greater force-of-will, which often makes things worse. It's certainly not necessary that we take up a study of brain waves. We know when we feel comfortable, and also when we don't. Alpha brain wave dominance is a measurable physiological message that clearly says, "You are really and truly relaxed, and at peace, in this moment." So I'm done talking about brain waves, and going back to basic human perceptions. Am I wrong? Doesn't every member of SOS know that, when we are relaxed enough to focus on it, the model shipyard becomes a place where you can lose yourself for hours at a time? The flow of time, itself, sometimes changes dramatically. Occasionally, you might almost forget who you are. It works even if you're engaged in problem-solving some aspect of the build. You're absorbed in real work, but you're also experiencing bliss!

Obviously this is all different if you are a professional model builder. But if you're not a professional, there are multiple studies showing that the benefits of a hobby are the same benefits that can be attributed to formal meditation. Everybody in this discussion is correct. For most of us, ship modeling is a hobby. If you have to push yourself, stress enters the scene and a beloved project stops being a hobby. Do something else. Or take a break. Unless you are truly going through a major life change, the model shipyard will call you back when the time is right.

Can't believe I just wrote all this c--p. It's a good thing I'm ready to finish building the last 2 long guns for La Salamandre. Going to the bench NOW.
I can't believe you wrote it either. I was just about to say that!

One thing I have done and this sound crazy and IT IS NOT for everyone nor will everyone want to do this. I actually reorganized my tools and cleaned up my work area in a major way - then it seemed that I had a fresh new area to work in and then it drew me back in to work on it more.
You cleaned up? Sacrilege! I don't even do that between builds! The Admiral started to vacuum a month or so ago and I ordered her out! There might be a tiny deadeye or cannon ball down there!

I hit a 4-year wall, or as I call it... a creativity doldrum... but it took me a while to realize that there were other aspects in life one would consider “ship building” while my Spanish galleon was put aside; and for me I realized I was metaphorically building my home and my family, as well as some ship building with my career. I started my ship in August 2014, completed most of the hull by summer 2015, then was in a creative “doldrum” for 4 years while my energy went into other important things.

Thanks to self isolation during COVID this summer/fall, I forced myself to reassemble my shipyard and organize my tools, then just start with ONE THING on the ship back in June. That one thing turned into another “one thing”... and so on. After 6 years, I finished in November of this year (2020). One thing I look back on... Had I not been in a 4 year doldrum, I would not have come across some opportunities I had it incorporate special things into this ship. For example, in year two of my creativity “brick wall”, my dad gave me a piece of the oak tree in the film “”Shawshank Redemption”, which I later this year carved into the Spanish lion figurehead on my ship and painted gold. There are other great things like this I incorporated into my ship, with sentimental values and experiences. Most of all, this ship got me through some hard times with self isolation away from family. I celebrated a “launch party” with my family over zoom with a bottle of Ruinart Champaign I picked up on a road trip driving through Reims France back in June.

Cheers .

”Don't spend your entire life building a ship, without ever tasting the salt of the ocean.”
-Alexander Den Heijer

View attachment 198436View attachment 198437View attachment 198438View attachment 198439View attachment 198440View attachment 198441View attachment 198442View attachment 198443View attachment 198444View attachment 198445

How did you do that with the flags?

How are you finding it?
I finished all 4 seasons and I can't wait for more.
I started to watch the "spartacus" movie series. It also is multi disc series.... you might like it. It was a little too much for me. I also found it at the local library.

I was reminded reading these posts that one common wall for me is procrastination preceding a more difficult aspect of a build. I convince myself that it will too hard and frustrating so I put it off. It can take awhile to regain my enthusiasm to give the hard part a go...

I started to watch the "spartacus" movie series. It also is multi disc series.... you might like it. It was a little too much for me. I also found it at the local library.
I began to watch Spartacus but could not really get in to it.

Find a simple, easy to build model and build copies to give to friends who like boats, or who used to be involved with boating, or are history buffs. I'm getting ready to build #'s 8 - 10 and have people ready for and wanting them. Their enthusiasm at getting a hand built model may get you fired up -- and a relaxing break from difficult or challenging models. They're easy! And who else gives away gifts like that besides you?

Just to get away from filing and trimming those Coureur steps...Argggg, I made 5 of these from scraps I had around and some wood from the beach.
I will give them as Xmas to friends. Just something different for a change.

Attachments

• IMG-0398.JPG
    IMG-0398.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 11
I feel for you. I am in the same boat right now. But I think this is normal. It seems to happen to me every so often. I just simply leave the work area and not go back until I feel like it. During that time of being away, I do another hobby that I have. I have been working this way for years and it seems to work for me.

It really isn't easy when you hit the Doldrums so to speak. You miss it but at the same time, you walk around your bench instead of sitting at it. Chatting about it here has actually been helping me feel better about things. Reaching out always is the best way to find your way back.

Back