What to do when you've hit the shipbuilding wall?

Another suggestion that may arouse fresh enthousiasm is to head away from kits and start scratch building. Stop following someone else's orders and be your own boss. It's easier than you think, it brings you new fields to investigate, both historically and technically, and the degree of satisfaction at completion is much higher.
Good luck!

Yep that is my cup of coffee (or glass of cognac) I am currently almost hit the wall to build my Syren so back to plastic model after 20y. So here what I do. I do 1 step on the Syren then do 1 plane, 1 military vehicle, 1 figurine and a War Hammer regiment. Then ho surprise got the go to work again on the Syren. Srtargazer is right it is different skill and it is so refreshing

My 5 cent
Merci mon ami! :)

Are you musically inclined RegG? You might want to try something a little different. I've played acoustic guitar most of my life and about 10 years ago I started building them. It's a really nice break now and then from modeling and a new learning experience. Something to consider....

Are you musically inclined RegG? You might want to try something a little different. I've played acoustic guitar most of my life and about 10 years ago I started building them. It's a really nice break now and then from modeling and a new learning experience. Something to consider....
I am actually. I am an avid collector of Martin guitars :). I have never thought about attempting to actually build one. Thanks for the idea!

I wish I had known I could build them when I was younger, I probably would have made a career of it. Before building them from scratch I would suggest that you build one from a kit first though. Only issue I had with that was that my first kit cost more than any guitar I ever bought (the exotic wood I selected was not cheap). The real nice thing is that while Martin guitars are definitely desirable (I have one) you can build one that far surpasses their quality after you get a couple under your belt.

I grab a cup of tea, head to the basement, put on some classical music and run trains.

Jan
Now this plan is leading down the right track (pun intended)!

Hot tea, maybe!, normally a cold diet coke with cherry and vanilla flavors to give it the old fashion flavors.

After time off from trains while building ships, since no model train shows to attend, I also moved to new house with large room for hobbies, and this week I set up my old test track 4' x 4' circle, with a train chasing its tail going in circles, but the joy to be running trains after 6 months off was a joy!

This is common I think. It happens to me. One time on my Trinidad, I went about 2 or 3 months before even going back into the shop. Even finishing up my latest project The Blandford Cross Section, there were times that I would walk into my shop and walk right back out - just wasn't in the frame of mind to get tedious.
In time, the desire will resurface again. Sometimes what I have done is just go into the shop, sit down in a chair, and just stare at the model and surroundings. Then for whatever reason, then I felt like working on it again for that evening.
It is a normal thing.

I have to agree with all said before - This period is normal.....
But maybe it is like Ab Hoving was mentioning
Maybe you are only tired of building kits, or this type of kits you are used to - try something different in scratch, f.e the

Blandford
or a Canoe

Or maybe a POF kit like the Alert or Le Coureur ..... (also in the group builds)

I think giving yourself permission to take breaks is key. When I get tired of working on my current project I walk away. But you need to be comfortable doing that and not feel guilty that you stopped working on the model. I am fortunate to have my work area set up such that I can work on something, even a single small part, and then walk away. Another caution is to be aware that there are times when what you are working on is repetitive, tedious, and boring. Like ratlines. Stop doing that and find something else to work on like a piece of deck furniture that is not so tedious. And, it just may be that you need to lay down the no. eleven blade, cap the glue, and walk away for a few weeks. Give yourself permission to do just that.

Maybe it's Covid, the time of the year, or just plain laziness on my part but I seem to have hit the wall when it comes to model shipbuilding. I have some great kits laying in wait but...argh :( Should I push on and keep working through it or just take a break? Just wanted to share the pain with folks that understand.

Happy Holidays from Canada! :)
Either take a break or work for half an hour to an hour at most every day. It’s not a race.....it will give you satisfaction that you have achieve something every day!

Hi RegG. I second what everyone else is saying here. It's way too easy sometimes to start confusing the work ethic with the hobby of ship modelling. And it has long been my observation that nobody is more capable of being an oppressive boss to any of us than we ourselves.

There is some solid psychology behind this discussion. In fact, any creative process, or art form, requires that one must relax to the point that our dominant brainwave activity is somewhere roughly between 7 hertz and 12 hertz (this is called the alpha level). If the frequency is higher than that, we will stare at the work and feel frustrated or distracted by thoughts of other issues. If we feel "blocked" or "stuck" this way the first thing our brain might try to do is to counter it with greater force-of-will, which often makes things worse. It's certainly not necessary that we take up a study of brain waves. We know when we feel comfortable, and also when we don't. Alpha brain wave dominance is a measurable physiological message that clearly says, "You are really and truly relaxed, and at peace, in this moment." So I'm done talking about brain waves, and going back to basic human perceptions. Am I wrong? Doesn't every member of SOS know that, when we are relaxed enough to focus on it, the model shipyard becomes a place where you can lose yourself for hours at a time? The flow of time, itself, sometimes changes dramatically. Occasionally, you might almost forget who you are. It works even if you're engaged in problem-solving some aspect of the build. You're absorbed in real work, but you're also experiencing bliss!

Obviously this is all different if you are a professional model builder. But if you're not a professional, there are multiple studies showing that the benefits of a hobby are the same benefits that can be attributed to formal meditation. Everybody in this discussion is correct. For most of us, ship modeling is a hobby. If you have to push yourself, stress enters the scene and a beloved project stops being a hobby. Do something else. Or take a break. Unless you are truly going through a major life change, the model shipyard will call you back when the time is right.

Can't believe I just wrote all this c--p. It's a good thing I'm ready to finish building the last 2 long guns for La Salamandre. Going to the bench NOW.

I put on a maritime movie, such as Master and Commander, Moby Dick, Horatio Hornblower, Sea Hawk, Mutiny on the Bounty etc,, My favorite lately is the mini series "Black Sails". It's 12 discs, about 3 to 4 hrs per disc. About pirates in and around the Bahamas circa 1715 approx. Anything nautical oriented. Always gets me motivated.
I just got 6 of the Patrick O'Brian "Aubrey / Maturin series and have been reading them in my building slump period.

Hi RegG. I second what everyone else is saying here. It's way too easy sometimes to start confusing the work ethic with the hobby of ship modelling. And it has long been my observation that nobody is more capable of being an oppressive boss to any of us than we ourselves.

There is some solid psychology behind this discussion. In fact, any creative process, or art form, requires that one must relax to the point that our dominant brainwave activity is somewhere roughly between 7 hertz and 12 hertz (this is called the alpha level). If the frequency is higher than that, we will stare at the work and feel frustrated or distracted by thoughts of other issues. If we feel "blocked" or "stuck" this way the first thing our brain might try to do is to counter it with greater force-of-will, which often makes things worse. It's certainly not necessary that we take up a study of brain waves. We know when we feel comfortable, and also when we don't. Alpha brain wave dominance is a measurable physiological message that clearly says, "You are really and truly relaxed, and at peace, in this moment." So I'm done talking about brain waves, and going back to basic human perceptions. Am I wrong? Doesn't every member of SOS know that, when we are relaxed enough to focus on it, the model shipyard becomes a place where you can lose yourself for hours at a time? The flow of time, itself, sometimes changes dramatically. Occasionally, you might almost forget who you are. It works even if you're engaged in problem-solving some aspect of the build. You're absorbed in real work, but you're also experiencing bliss!

Obviously this is all different if you are a professional model builder. But if you're not a professional, there are multiple studies showing that the benefits of a hobby are the same benefits that can be attributed to formal meditation. Everybody in this discussion is correct. For most of us, ship modeling is a hobby. If you have to push yourself, stress enters the scene and a beloved project stops being a hobby. Do something else. Or take a break. Unless you are truly going through a major life change, the model shipyard will call you back when the time is right.

Can't believe I just wrote all this c--p. It's a good thing I'm ready to finish building the last 2 long guns for La Salamandre. Going to the bench NOW.
Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with all of us. I will sleep a little less stupid tonight. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Reg :)

One thing I have done and this sound crazy and IT IS NOT for everyone nor will everyone want to do this. I actually reorganized my tools and cleaned up my work area in a major way - then it seemed that I had a fresh new area to work in and then it drew me back in to work on it more.

Maybe it's Covid, the time of the year, or just plain laziness on my part but I seem to have hit the wall when it comes to model shipbuilding. I have some great kits laying in wait but...argh :( Should I push on and keep working through it or just take a break? Just wanted to share the pain with folks that understand.

Happy Holidays from Canada! :)
Yep, we all face this at some point. For me, there are a few things. When I lose my drive, a lot of time it is when I take on a task that it repetitive, monotonous, etc. For these little bumps, I stop working on those things and maybe work on something else that helps me visualize what the end product will be.

Interestingly enough, classic/muscle car builders run into the same challenge. They work on removing rust (boring), installing chassis components that will never be seen (boring). These things take time and dampen passion. What they do is take a break, order the wheels and tires and put them on. Lower the car to the ground and see what the stance will look like when it's done and then they can see what the end looks like, their batteries recharged.

I am fortunate that I, like others have other interests and the are seasonal. Kayak fishing, hiking/climbing and golf in the warm months. I am more active with my modelling projects in the winter cold months, but even then I have take a few breaks.

For me, life is pretty simple; I do what I enjoy. If I stop enjoying something, I stop doing it. After all, we all only have so much time left on this earth. We should strive to do everything that makes us happy.....and helps others.

Cheers,
Ken

Hi guys, yup me too. I'm presently building Occre Montanes & now doing the rigging, but hit the same problem as others with the plans, so I invested £20 in a copy of Lennarth Petterson's book;Rigging Period ship Models, this got me going again but only very slowly. I think it's to do with the dark days of winter & lack of daylight. I also started building Occre's HMS Beagle, but that's hit the wall, so in the meantime I'm spending time in my workshop rebuilding my 3-strand rope walk into a 3/4 strand one (weather permitting).

Back