What to do when you've hit the shipbuilding wall?

Feel the same sometimes,i have several hobbys,LEGO building,games(PS4),fishing
Just turn around to the computer monitor and troll the latest Alerts and What's New for diversionary momentary engagement . . . of course if the weather is good and the yard work in order I could go to the gun range for some shooting. . . particularly with my small blackpowder .270 caliber shipboard cannon for noise and smoke. Rich

Maybe it's Covid, the time of the year, or just plain laziness on my part but I seem to have hit the wall when it comes to model shipbuilding. I have some great kits laying in wait but...argh :( Should I push on and keep working through it or just take a break? Just wanted to share the pain with folks that understand.

Happy Holidays from Canada! :)
Enthusiasm for any table top hobby comes and goes. I'm at a lull right this moment, having stopped work on HMS Sovereign of the Seas, because I'm pondering the next move and it involves modifying the frame structure to make it more accurate based on a variety of sources, mostly builders of renown on this forum. It's hard to project how changes made this early in the build will cause fitment issues of parts later on. Reshaping the stern will have effects on how well kits parts will or will not fit on the stern and side galleries. After some measurements and projections, work will resume. Sometimes you can shift to another activity. I learned that when you come back to the model, you find yourself getting a lot accomplished ini a short amount of time, and you bury yourself in it once again.

Last edited:
Enthusiasm for any table top hobby comes and goes. I'm at a lull right this moment, having stopped work on HMS Sovereign of the Seas, because I'm pondering the next move and it involves modifying the frame structure to make it more accurate based on a variety of sources, mostly builders of renown on this forum. It's hard to project how changes made this early in the build will cause fitment issues of parts later on. Reshaping the stern will have effects on how well kits parts will or will not fit on the stern and side galleries. After some measurements and projections, work will resume. Sometimes you can shift to another activity. I learned that when you come back to the model, you find yourself getting a lot accomplished ini a short amount of time, and you bury yourself in it once again.
I know what you mean. I’m doing shrouds now. It took me a couple of days to get up the gumption to start. I did, took apart, and redid lanyards. I went back to Donnie’s video. I looked back at all the plans. I pondered waiting until after running lines are rigged. I finally decided not to rig rat lines until after belaying running lines. Then I was able to get back to work with an easy mind.

I know what you mean. I’m doing shrouds now. It took me a couple of days to get up the gumption to start. I did, took apart, and redid lanyards. I went back to Donnie’s video. I looked back at all the plans. I pondered waiting until after running lines are rigged. I finally decided not to rig rat lines until after belaying running lines. Then I was able to get back to work with an easy mind.
You have to find your own preferred sequence, one that makes you comfortable.

How did you do that with the flags?
Sorry I missed this question! I custom ordered the flags from a model flags store in the UK in 2014 (sent them image files representing the proper flags from the 17th century). Using the sharpest blade, I cut them out; then used a sparing amount of CA glue around the edges to prevent the threads from fraying. Using a hot hair dryer, and acrylic spray paint to give the flag body and volume, I kept stretching, pulling, bending, curling the flag until they reached the form I wanted. It did take a few hours. For the flying banners, I sliced down the middle of a small dowel, slid the flag fabric through, glued (CA), and then tripped off excess flag before I started to “form” the flag how I wanted it.

Attachments

• 003229AD-C8D6-44C1-8A4C-C1A79F0B31E5.jpeg
    003229AD-C8D6-44C1-8A4C-C1A79F0B31E5.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 77E3DF9E-75B1-4F87-A78A-CADC77BE560C.jpeg
    77E3DF9E-75B1-4F87-A78A-CADC77BE560C.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 8
  • C57999C2-DFD8-45DB-9212-BBDEC7E54F11.jpeg
    C57999C2-DFD8-45DB-9212-BBDEC7E54F11.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 8
  • E9444FFA-BFE7-4970-A47F-B570DFAC3CD1.jpeg
    E9444FFA-BFE7-4970-A47F-B570DFAC3CD1.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 492AE042-D262-413B-A720-310BA0BA3376.jpeg
    492AE042-D262-413B-A720-310BA0BA3376.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 07C5CF57-8B0B-4A49-BD88-47FD9E339E46.jpeg
    07C5CF57-8B0B-4A49-BD88-47FD9E339E46.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 99022B6C-56D2-4CD0-A92E-2FDA505D86FF.jpeg
    99022B6C-56D2-4CD0-A92E-2FDA505D86FF.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Sorry I missed this question! I custom ordered the flags from a model flags store in the UK in 2014 (sent them image files representing the proper flags from the 17th century). Using the sharpest blade, I cut them out; then used a sparing amount of CA glue around the edges to prevent the threads from fraying. Using a hot hair dryer, and acrylic spray paint to give the flag body and volume, I kept stretching, pulling, bending, curling the flag until they reached the form I wanted. It did take a few hours. For the flying banners, I sliced down the middle of a small dowel, slid the flag fabric through, glued (CA), and then tripped off excess flag before I started to “form” the flag how I wanted it.
Thanks, Mike.

I just got 6 of the Patrick O'Brian "Aubrey / Maturin series and have been reading them in my building slump period.
The Hornblower series is what threw me into this ship-building lark in the first place. I'm nearing the end of O'Brian's Master and Commander now, which seems to have a bit more edge than Hornblower, but all of them remind me of how much I still need to learn about nautical terms in general :rolleyes:

Back