Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Lookin’ good Jan !!
Whew, I guess the whole country is getting Florida weather lately.
That’s ok though. We’ll share if you promise to take some of the hurricanes also

Well done my friend - it's looking very good indeed. By the way, the area which I marked in red provides the ideal place to pin the plank against.

68A1E38C-7EA6-473F-8210-FD68F891EDFC_1_201_a.jpg

Lookin’ good Jan !!
Whew, I guess the whole country is getting Florida weather lately.
That’s ok though. We’ll share if you promise to take some of the hurricanes also
Sharing your Florida weather with us is nice, but I'll pass on the hurricanes.

Well done my friend - it's looking very good indeed. By the way, the area which I marked in red provides the ideal place to pin the plank against.

View attachment 319773
ROTF Yup you are absolutely right, a great spot for a pin. I had pinned the 1st 6mm plank there initially. I also pinned #2 and #3 planks, I noticed a problem while trimming and sanding the ends of all three planks. The 1st plank's upper edge was glued in tight but the bottom edge of the plank was not. I did the H2O trick to loosen the PVA, let the area dry, gently removed the glue residue from the three planks and stern, applied glue to the planks edges and used the force of the rubber band to hold everything in place.

True story indeed. I beginning to think that each plank has an “attitude“. Cautious
They do; they DO! ROTF That is the beauty of this ship. I know this may sound like an exaggeration, but I think you have now discovered as well that you CANNOT treat two planks in the same way, not even if they are adjacent to each other and all logic tells you that it should be possible. It just does not work that way!

That routine of yours sounds like the number, Jan - well done! Thumbsup And on the some of the more difficult planks you can still follow the method of gluing it in parts. Then you just re-wet the unglued part (while on the ship - it's perfectly fine), glue it and clamp and so on and so on ...:)

By the way - Dutch ships are not "pernickety". That sounds way too "English", old chap! The Dutch naval term that is best suited to the Willem Barentsz is "stug" (difficult to get to co-operate, stubborn, unlikely to change its mind)! ROTF

I added the third 4mm before I doubled up on the wales. Reason is, that if sanding is required it is much easier to do while you have a flat surface.

I added the third 4mm before I doubled up on the wales. Reason is, that if sanding is required it is much easier to do while you have a flat surface.
Excellent, Thought as much. I did that on the SB side, sanded the three initial planks smooth and then added the Wales

Back