Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Currently working on the gunports, not happy with my progress, I just noticed that the Port side and Starboard side aren't mirror images as far as the openings go. My only word is "RATS!!!!"
They weren't on the real ship either. I can promise you that!

Currently working on the gunports, not happy with my progress, I just noticed that the Port side and Starboard side aren't mirror images as far as the openings go. My only word is "RATS!!!!"
Good morning Jan. I don’t think I have seen a model where the port and starboard side are an exact mirror image - unless a robot has built one. ;) Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. I don’t think I have seen a model where the port and starboard side are an exact mirror image - unless a robot has built one. ;) Cheers Grant
In retrospect I think I should have said ”Not Quite Lined Up The Same” :oops: On the Port side I cut into the bulkhead edges on three out of the six of the gun ports. On the Starboard side I managed to miss that. But since the ports will be closed everything will look just “fine”.

Last edited:
Hmm, the gun port dilemma. Adding the "doors"

IMG_3611.jpeg

I'm not sure I'm liking my results. I did glue a backing piece inside the hull at each gun port so the "doors" can be glued in. But after "door" #5 I think I have to redo the whole bit. My backing pieces are to stiff to conform to the inside curve of the hull. Another donation to the "Jar".

The portside gunports look good Jan! Just a thought: I used off-cuts from the decking sheets as backing material for the gunports that need to be closed again. the decking sheets are quite pliable, so if you glue them and clamp them (firmly with biggish clamps) to the inside of the hull. they will conform to the hull shape. This is important, otherwise they will be "pressed inwards" when you glue the port lids into position on the outside.

The portside gunports look good Jan! Just a thought: I used off-cuts from the decking sheets as backing material for the gunports that need to be closed again. the decking sheets are quite pliable, so if you glue them and clamp them (firmly with biggish clamps) to the inside of the hull. they will conform to the hull shape. This is important, otherwise they will be "pressed inwards" when you glue the port lids into position on the outside.
Thank you for that piece of information. I was wondering what to use for that kind of backstop.

@Heinrich

I just noticed I have five gunports cutout on one side and six on the other. Now comes the question go with six or fill in one and go with five.:rolleyes:
Jan, you made my day - I had a good laugh now! I know I said earlier that the port- and starboard side gunports would not be carbon copies of one another in real life, but the 5/6 gunport configuration is probably stretching that idea somewhat! ROTF

On the other hand, your five-gunport idea might just be visionary ... check out Zhdan's Mercury! :)

P3.JPG

Seriously though - I would go with whatever option is easier for you. If filling in the gunports is easier, go with five; if cutting out an extra one is easier, go with six.

Jan, you made my day - I had a good laugh now! I know I said earlier that the port- and starboard side gunports would not be carbon copies of one another in real life, but the 5/6 gunport configuration is probably stretching that idea somewhat! ROTF

On the other hand, your five-gunport idea might just be visionary ... check out Zhdan's Mercury! :)

View attachment 356191

Seriously though - I would go with whatever option is easier for you. If filling in the gunports is easier, go with five; if cutting out an extra one is easier, go with six.
Honestly Jan, I'd leave it just for the story you will get to tell (and show)!

BTW, did I share that your friend Damian broke his leg! Watching him dragging his (heavy) cast behind him the first few days was heart-breaking. Unphased, he's now running on his cast (two weeks later). This kid is going to conquer the world!

@Heinrich

I just noticed I have five gunports cutout on one side and six on the other. Now comes the question go with six or fill in one and go with five.:rolleyes:
Good morning Jan. Your WB is looking awesome. I’m sorry but I had a good laugh -5/6. You certainly took @Heinrich advice literally regarding the port and starboard ports. This Does give you options tho and I hope it is not a too bigger fix. Cheers Grant

Back