Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Hi Jan. They were obviously there all along - now that you are placing the deck, its curvature makes it obvious. The only thing that I can think of is that the fairing (despite all our best efforts) was still not enough - and coupled with the strong planks, created creases around the bulkheads. At this point in the build - honestly - I would live with it, because I cannot see how that can be rectified (short of stripping off everything and re-planking the whole hull).
My thoughts exactly, I think the fairing was part of the problems as well clamping the walnut in place maybe a bit to vigorously. The side views are acceptable. So it's soldier forward and to try to make some progress

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly, I think the fairing was part of the problems well as clamping the walnut in place maybe a bit to vigorously. The side views are acceptable. So it's soldier forward and to try to make some progress
Good morning Jan. Man following yours and Heinrich’s WB builds highlights what a difficult build this little ship is. I am happy the crew is back on your WB. She will be a great addition to your model portfolio. Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. Man following yours and Heinrich’s WB builds highlights what a difficult build this little ship is. I am happy the crew is back on your WB. She will be a great addition to your model portfolio. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant. Yup, that little ship is a bit persnickety. I started to ”cut out” the planking at the bow to fit the Keel yesterday and had to go back my and Heinrich’s log for help on that little bit of construction. In retrospect I think it would have been better to add the Keel pieces before planking the hull. Anyway I’m using Heinrich’s method and CAREFULLY sanding the slot to fit the Keel piece.

1367765B-1EAF-4319-B15C-6B5135125092.jpeg2F0FCF35-FFF0-43E8-9319-ABFAA79B6B53.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Grant. Yup, that little ship is a bit persnickety. I started to ”cut out” the planking at the bow to fit the Keel yesterday and had to go back my and Heinrich’s log for help on that little bit of construction. In retrospect I think it would have been better to add the Keel pieces before planking the hull. Anyway I’m using Heinrich’s method and CAREFULLY sanding the slot to fit the Keel piece.

View attachment 337529View attachment 337530
Just remember, Jan. If the keel had been left in place while the planking took place, you would have had two issues.

1. How to glue the planks that they fit seamlessly against the keel?
2. How to sand the planks where they butt up against the keel to an acceptable smoothness without damaging the keel. (Been there and done that on the Batavia - solution - a new keel from the Netherlands!)

My method is the long way around, but I believe it offers you the best chance of a nice fit against the keel.

Just remember, Jan. If the keel had been left in place while the planking took place, you would have had two issues.

1. How to glue the planks that they fit seamlessly against the keel?
2. How to sand the planks where they butt up against the keel to an acceptable smoothness without damaging the keel. (Been there and done that on the Batavia - solution - a new keel from the Netherlands!)

My method is the long way around, but I believe it offers you the best chance of a nice fit against the keel.
Excellent points. I had forgotten your experience with the Batavia.

I’ve been fighting with my iPad trying to get Safari to translate Piets WB build on the Dutch forum. Unfortunately Dutch is not one of the languages that Safari will translate and I don‘t use Google as my internet link. I stumbled across Microsoft Translater a free App that will work with Safari, Google and most other internet browsers. I’m one happy camper now. I don’t have to rely anymore on my poor knowledge of Dutch.

Hi Jan, i had to do some pages, but i am back on track with your Willem Barentsz, and she looks great , altough i am glad that you took out that metal gunportlids, and replaced them by the wooden ones they are looking a lot better.

Hi Jan, i had to do some pages, but i am back on track with your Willem Barentsz, and she looks great , altough i am glad that you took out that metal gunportlids, and replaced them by the wooden ones they are looking a lot better.
Those gunports were an experiment, I was not sure that I even wanted to add gunports after I finished the planking. But I'm working on them:D

Last edited:
The moment I had avoided for quite some time, cutting away then planks at the bow so the keel would fit.

The before.

IMG_2679.jpeg

The after.

IMG_3587.jpeg

I need to slightly "square" the sides of the cut to have the keel fit snugly. Thumbs-UpThanks Heinrich for the sanding "jig" idea its was a great help in forming the slot for the keel.

Last edited:
The moment I had avoided for quite some time, cutting away then planks at the bow so the keel would fit.

The before.

View attachment 337771

The after.

View attachment 337772

I need to slightly "square" the sides of the cut to have the keel fit snugly. Thumbs-UpThanks Heinrich for the sanding "jig" idea its was a great help in forming the slot for the keel.
It looks good Jan! I am glad to hear that the jig idea worked well for you.

Jan, I would try and force the Port Side planking at the top closer to the keel to try and minimize that gap at the top. You are going to make it difficult for yourself when it comes to the inner planking of the bow if it stays like that.

Jan, I would try and force the Port Side planking at the top closer to the keel to try and minimize that gap at the top. You are going to make it difficult for yourself when it comes to the inner planking of the bow if it stays like that.
Indeed, I need to rework that area a bit. The planking on that side didn’t come out very well. I had posted a picture of that earlier.

11768279-F791-4327-88DA-24FBA6ED40EE.jpeg

I think fixing the ”bow out ” on the PS will also cure the gap issue. I was more concerned about getting the “keel” to fit. I’ll do the fiddle fix stuff after the gun ports are done.

Last edited:
Back