Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

@Heinrich

I just noticed I have five gunports cutout on one side and six on the other. Now comes the question go with six or fill in one and go with five.:rolleyes:
And something like this never, ever happened to any of us before? If not yet, it will.
This shows Murphy has a sense of humor.

BTW, did I share that your friend Damian broke his leg! Watching him dragging his (heavy) cast behind him the first few days was heart-breaking. Unphased, he's now running on his cast (two weeks later). This kid is going to conquer the world
That is bad news and good news. Awesome how little people bounce back. Give him a big hug for us.

Jan, you made my day - I had a good laugh now! I know I said earlier that the port- and starboard side gunports would not be carbon copies of one another in real life, but the 5/6 gunport configuration is probably stretching that idea somewhat! ROTF

On the other hand, your five-gunport idea might just be visionary ... check out Zhdan's Mercury! :)

View attachment 356191

Seriously though - I would go with whatever option is easier for you. If filling in the gunports is easier, go with five; if cutting out an extra one is easier, go with six.

Funny, that little hull has been sitting on a shelf for weeks and I never noticed the difference. I used the same template on both sides to locate the ports but missed marking the one closest to the bow. :eek:

Last edited:
Good morning Jan. Your WB is looking awesome. I’m sorry but I had a good laugh -5/6. You certainly took @Heinrich advice literally regarding the port and starboard ports. This Does give you options tho and I hope it is not a too bigger fix. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant.

Good to see you’re following my bumbling efforts. I think I can now christen this build as “JAN’s WB”. With the 5/6 gun configuration there is one less gun crew to house and feed. ROTF

The “Jan WB” 5/6 gunport configuration has my vote. (BTW. I did check my Galleon to be sure that both the Port and Starboard sides had an equal number of gunports.);)

Or .... if you are going to redo the closed ports, why not install four cannons on either side. That way, no one will notice the uneven number of gunports as everyone will focus on the cannons.

Or .... if you are going to redo the closed ports, why not install four cannons on either side. That way, no one will notice the uneven number of gunports as everyone will focus on the cannons.
Ro Oh I‘ve started this process. I found some second planking veneer left over from my Enterprise build. It is very flexible and seems to backfill the ports very well.C3DC4CE1-E29B-4CC3-A737-88CB38E77D4E.jpeg

Just one more port to go. I do like the idea of the cannons, I only have four in that scale but they are part of the Duyfken kit. Something to think about as I switch back and forth between these builds.

Last edited:
Ro Oh I‘ve started this process. I found some second planking veneer left over from my Enterprise build. It is very flexible and seems to backfill the ports very well.View attachment 356409

Just one more port to go. I do like the idea of the cannons, I only have four in that scale but they are part of the Duyfken kit. Something to think about as I switch back and forth between these builds.
Good morning Jan. WOW your ship yard is at maximum productivity at present. Cheers Grant

I was working on plan "A" gluing in backfill pieces to hold the gunport doors. I had to switch to plan "B" on two of the openings. I could not get a good fit since I had to trim a section out of the bulkheads to make the door opening.

So, I glued the door to a piece of 10 X 10 mm dowel and presto.

IMG_3708.jpeg

IMG_3707.jpeg
I think that will work.

Last edited:
Back