Wood carving micro chisels

Hello Maarten,
It is funny how you posted this topic when just a few days ago I asked Kortes about the micro chisels he used for carvings on his Boeier build. He said that he did not buy them but rather made them and now thanks to you I now have a tutorial that will help me with that. Once again, thank you, Raymond.

Hello Maarten,
It is funny how you posted this topic when just a few days ago I asked Kortes about the micro chisels he used for carvings on his Boeier build. He said that he did not buy them but rather made them and now thanks to you I now have a tutorial that will help me with that. Once again, thank you, Raymond.
Hi raymond,

I read that topic and looked into it I will make these myself as well.
Succes and happy holidays.

Greetings all.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. (Rober Frost).
At first, I decide to open a new log, but quickly realize that it would be fair to continue with Maarten post. Alright, enough intrigues. I promised to post my own made micro chisels, and here we go: I bought a 1/8 (3.1mm) 1-0 tool steel here: https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=148&step=2&top_cat=1354 It comes 36" long and 3pcs.

IMG_0125.jpeg

I cut 5 psc (80mm each) with my jewelry saw

IMG_0116.jpeg

The next step is to shape up. I made flat and half round from the video tutorial and 'V' shape my own. With two left blanks, I will go a straight chisel and ...don't know yet.

IMG_0122.jpeg IMG_0123.jpeg
IMG_0126.jpeg IMG_0127.jpegIMG_0128.jpeg

...and tried to make a handle out of maple, didn't finish as I don't have material for the tenon. Also, I need a butane torch for hardening. Will look for both tomorrow in Lowers. The next step hardening and sharpening

IMG_0124.jpeg

to be continued...

Hi Jim,

I also ordered steel in the meantime. O1 steel here in Europe is called 2510 steel so ordered 4,5 round, 4 mm square and a 1.5 x 8 mm flat.
I think for the handles I get a broomstick from the diy store and chop it it small pieces which I work on the lathe.
If I have some results I will post them.

Great idea to use existing wood stock. I can find some cherry dowels to suit the purpose of a handle.

Mates... this will be the last post in 2018 as I continue with my micro chisels. I got a fiasco with my 'V' shape when trying to sharpen it. It is a special technique I have to learn. But I replace it with a square chisel to make 'TRIO'. I am impressed with the results and speed you can make them. I am sure I will make other shapes and smaller sizes. If you have any questions please let me know.

IMG_0135.jpeg IMG_0136.jpeg

Happy New Year!!!

Hello Jim,
Way to go on your own micro chisels. It seems pretty easy to make them but I will have to wait until I get home which will be two weeks from now. Once home, I shall make a few and start carving a few items.
Ray

Hallo Ray,

Considered that we building ship models from scratch, making those chisels it is not that difficult and cost-effective. Happy carving for you!

Back