Wood carving micro chisels

Mates... this will be the last post in 2018 as I continue with my micro chisels. I got a fiasco with my 'V' shape when trying to sharpen it. It is a special technique I have to learn. But I replace it with a square chisel to make 'TRIO'. I am impressed with the results and speed you can make them. I am sure I will make other shapes and smaller sizes. If you have any questions please let me know.

Brilliant!
Now to find some O-1 in my neck of the woods :(

Last edited:
Any tips on the sharpening?
@Maarten When I make them I am trying to sharpen them before 'heat and Oil". This way, you don't have to remove much material when sharpening. I use sandpaper "whet and Dry" and oil. Start with 500 grid, then 1000\2000 and the last one is emery stick. Once I remove all the marks\scratches with sandpapers, I use leather and polishing paste (green putty, in Russia we called - Goya) to make a mirror-like surface. And it works! Here is the 'V' grove I make a new one,

IMG_0175.jpeg IMG_0176.jpeg IMG_0177.jpeg

Happy Chisel making!!

Last edited:
Going to fire up the forge in the morning and make myself a set of chisels for the new Lathe. I think I am going to use some of the old files I bought from a flee market they are all pretty worn out. I had planed on making Knives from them anyhow. I want to shoot for around HRC 55-65 that does well on high speed tooling I have some 01 sitting in the metal rack so if the files don't work out I use that steel. The plan is to make one tool for testing and build a good set from there. Should be fun and will save a lot of money on buying a good set of lathe tools.

Going to fire up the forge in the morning and make myself a set of chisels for the new Lathe
Cannot wait to see the output, Joe. Found 01 is really easy to work with a regular file set, don't need grinding wheels. and hardened in oil (technically any food oil). The results - I am really happy with.

I love 01 tool steel it isn't always good for everything but for most things it gets the job done. I'd love to make the set Damascus, but I don't have that much time right now for that much work. I just love the look and performance of Damascus
I made a set of hunting knives 3 years ago and they have held up far better then any store bough knife I have ever owned. The top Knife with the gut hook has a deer antler handle the skinner has a stag antler handle. That gut hook was difficult to get right to much angle or to little and the knife doesn't work as it should and will keep popping out of the hide or it can dig in and pinch the gut opened. I keep them coated on Peanut oil which works well for preserving the metal and the scent doesn't spook game.
20190111_192148.jpg20190111_192216.jpg20190111_192219.jpg20190111_192245.jpg

Great looking knives, not to mention awesome craftsmanship, Joe. I love how Damascus steel looks...it just beauty of it's kind.

Watching forged in fire on history channel. Love the way they make the knives to get to the final. And then the historic weapon the 2 finalists have to make in 5 days at there own place.

Back