Wooden anvil cleats

Hi Uwe,
Had a look at the site. Wonderful blocks and cleats. Pity I won't need any for the Alert!
Who knows, Trevor? Maybe...during the build process, you will be much excited (you definitely will), so made a decision to rig the Alert. It most likely will be a tall model but...one of a kind for sure!
BTW, you will need blocks to rig the cannons and deadeyes for sure. Those ebony deadeyes are what Doc prescribes! They are of amazing quality. I have received mine already. :) But this is optional, the kit supplied deadeyes decent qualify but no blocks to rig cannons.

Uwe,
As a matter of interest, what drawing or plans will you be using as a basis to rig the ship?

Trevor
Who knows, Trevor? Maybe...during the build process, you will be much excited (you definitely will), so made a decision to rig the Alert. It most likely will be a tall model but...one of a kind for sure!
BTW, you will need blocks to rig the cannons and deadeyes for sure. Those ebony deadeyes are what Doc prescribes! They are of amazing quality. I have received mine already. :) But this is optional, the kit supplied deadeyes decent qualify but no blocks to rig cannons.
Jim, sorry I got you mixed up with Uwe. My question was meant for you.
Trevor.

Jim, sorry I got you mixed up with Uwe. My question was meant for you.
Trevor.
Hello, Trevor.

As of today, I have no plans to rig Alert, except for the cannon carriages. But to answer your question, I am using extensively the book from AOTS by Peter Goodwin - The Naval Cutter Alert 1777. This book is a great help while bashing the kit. The kit was designed based on this book and drawings and should be a great companion and reference to the kit. ;)

Uwe,
As a matter of interest, what drawing or plans will you be using as a basis to rig the ship?

Trevor
The AOTS book of Goodwin is also giving most answers for the mast, yards and rigging of the HMS ALERT. also the sails are shown in detail, so I guess you can make the complete rigging with the help of this book.

f.e.
IMG_24451.jpg

IMG_24461.jpg

IMG_24471.jpg

Hi Uwe,
I found this book on several sites on the Internet. The book is inkeeping with the very good examples of others in the series AOTS and it would form an ideal basis to complete the ship.
Cost of around 250 $. Seems worthwhile though.
Trevor

Hi Uwe,
I found this book on several sites on the Internet. The book is inkeeping with the very good examples of others in the series AOTS and it would form an ideal basis to complete the ship.
Cost of around 250 $. Seems worthwhile though.
Trevor
We think, that also our group build produced a higher demand on the used book market, so that the price was rising so much. Nevertheless I think, that nobody will pay 250 $ - wait and observe the typical pages for a while - sometimes these books are offered for normal and reasonable prices (40 to 50 Euro)

We think, that also our group build produced a higher demand on the used book market, so that the price was rising so much. Nevertheless I think, that nobody will pay 250 $ - wait and observe the typical pages for a while - sometimes these books are offered for normal and reasonable prices (40 to 50 Euro)
f.e here for 69 Euro

Hi Uwek,

Thanks so much for the tip. How did you find it?
We're off to Sverige for our holidays, so I can have it delivered there. Have ordered it, although it doesn't have the pull-out drawing included. 71€ with delivery. Reasonable price. So all it needs now is for the Alert to arrive!

Trevor

How did you find it?
Hallo Trevor,
usually i start with abebooks, also often I start searching via bookfinder.com - this machine is searching in (according their advertisement) the pages of 100.000 booksellers

Could the term ‘anvil cleat’ be referring to a kevel or cavel ? I’ve never heard of an anvil cleat before.

My understanding is that a kevel or cavel refers to its function. They can be an extra strong cleat, or a timberhead and used to secure a ships largest lines or cables (mooring lines or anchor cables back before chain). The simplest ones I can think of would be a stout piece of wood mounted parallel to the deck and maybe 3 or 4 inches square, and 3 to 4 feet long. Rounded on the edges and bolted to a pair of timberheads (the ends of a vessels frames above the deck and inside the bulwarks. ) A mooring line would get a round turn around it and then several figure eights. Think of a letter H with the uprights being the timberheads and the crossbar being a lot longer. (I just found a picture of a kevel on an old set of plans. I'll post it in another post. I don't have it loaded on this computer yet).

Here's a kevel, I believe. One of a variety including very heavy bits and timberheads.

View attachment 245945
Here's a kevel, I believe. Apiece of wood fasten vertically over two or three bulkheads.A cleat is a single piece with many uses to fasten riggen lines- Around the bottom og the mast; set fast on the Shroudhs; many different places on the dech-TO Fasten one riggen LINE1627164449111.png1627164474913.png

View attachment 245945'This drawing shows very clear, what is Kwevel. A piece of set fast ove a few bulkheads, where a live is a single part, that can be set fastson the dea ot shrouds too, apart cjfrom vARIUS

On a sailing ship, there are many fastening points, where Cleats is a big part. As not a native UK or US I am totally clear of the name Kevel. I will add some of the hip -main fasting point on a ship -a cleats will only fasten one riggen line, where others can fasten various as pin rails ets

67eb3005523fa6d8790aa4d6408e2263.jpg

The AOTS book of Goodwin is also giving most answers for the mast, yards and rigging of the HMS ALERT. also the sails are shown in detail, so I guess you can make the complete rigging with the help of this book.

f.e.
View attachment 235652

View attachment 235653

View attachment 235654
basically, the riggen of a sails ship are following some rules. the are naturally some differences from a 3 master to a schooner, but generally the rules-riggen- follow the same pattern. it is like a car-on only main difference is left or right side wheel7drive. A new sailor onboard should be able to work from day 1

Back