Workbench Question

OK MY 2 CENTS I HAVE THE PROBLEM OF HAVING TO DO ALL MY MODELING SITTING AS I CAN NOT STAND UNSUPORTED THAT HAS CREATED A WORK BENCH PROBLEM AS I NEED ALL MY WORK BENCHE LOW ABOUT 20 TO 2I INCHES IN HEIGHT BUT WITH THE AVAILABILITY OF ADJUSTING THE HEIGHTS FOUND THE PERFECT SOLUTION ON AMOZON UNDER COMPUTER DESK DO NOT KNOW HOW TO POST THE LINK BUT THERE ARE ALL DIFFERENT TYPES HEIGHTS ADJUTABALE 48 X 24 AND DOWN WILL SUPPORT ANY WORK TAKES A LOAD I PRICES ALL OVER THE PLACE MY FAVORITE ONE WAS $99.00 INCL SHIPPING BE CAREFUL ON ORDERING FROM SOME OF THESE READ THE REVIEWS MAKE SURE IT IS AMOZON PROTECTED HOPE THIS HELPS. GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE DON

The corner knee space may need some supporting brackets to eliminate tenderness if there were to be any hammering in that area. Just a thought. Rich
The design has the main desk as a standalone with the return bolting in. Its for a lawyer and her computers.

The design has the main desk as a standalone with the return bolting in. Its for a lawyer and her computers
The design has the main desk as a standalone with the return bolting in. Its for a lawyer and her computers.
We had plenty of computers and large monitors in the offices but they are not subject to some of our hobby work stresses on the tops. Rich

My issue was a sore neck while rigging cannons or other repetitive tasks like that. I started working on a box on top of the workbench so I didn't have to bend down so far. Now, after building about 40 models the best thing I bought for my workshop was a powered sit/stand bench. Since buying it I haven't been uncomfortable rigging the topmasts or coppering a hull. I got it from Prime Cables in Canada but I am sure there are similar offerings elsewhere. This one goes from below bench height to slip under the fixed workbench and extends higher than I would ever want to work on the surface. It is surprisingly stable at all heights.

20210320_090042.jpg20210320_090120.jpg20210320_090147.jpg

I do my modeling standing. So far it works...although there will come a time where I will need to do things sitting. So my work benches are bar height...like standing at a bar slugging in one’s favorite beer. The main reason for this is I was always up and down trying to see what I was doing until I just gave in and do everything standing. Plus I have separate work areas for the model itself and assembling parts so I was walking back and forth between the two areas. I can sit if need be...just have to use bar height stools. I also have an “L” shape bench setup...each side the same bar height however. The only caution on an L shape is the deep corner of the L angle tends to be wasted space...or ends up being storage space for stuff you don’t use often...or in my case the gathering place of long lost pieces/parts. Anyway, I know not everyone can stand but I thought I would share my experiences. Last, because I stand I also use an assembly stand that cradles the model at chest height. The attached photo shows my current build on the assembly stand on the bar height work bench.

78714D56-585E-49CD-AEEA-4740CDBA3A72.jpeg

Last edited:
A lot of good advice and opinions. I don't think I have much to offer, but I would say that you do need a sturdy surface and going back to your original idea of having two different workbench heights is really the way to go. I wish I had thought about this when I built my bench. I would highly suggest going with one bench at sitting level and the other at standing level.
Also, bench space FILLS UP QUICKLY and you think you have a lot of space when you are building it, but you will soon see as the bench fills up with power tools like mini drill presses, mini table saws, sanders and the like that you will see that your 'building space' will quickly diminish. Build LARGER than you expect and build as much bench area that you can afford and can put in the room. You will not regret it.

For what it's worth, I go along with the sturdy bench design in the "L" shape. I achieve various building hights with the use of a comfy bar stool on a hydraulic cylinder. Much easier than trying to design an adjustable bench. Another thought, if you have the space, is to leave your bench open on two or three sides away from the walls. This allows you to work around your ship and not have to turn it.

Harbor freight has a great ALL WOOD work bench for about $120.00. The height can be altered in a dozen different ways. I have 3 of them. You can also use shop made saw horses and plywood. I have about 24 linear foot of these. Cost is minimal and versatility is great. There are dozens of variations to the ideas already given.

So...would an adjustable stool/chair work? That way you’d only need one level work bench and not worry about whether the would be stable after adjusting.

So...would an adjustable stool/chair work? That way you’d only need one level work bench and not worry about whether the would be stable after adjusting.
Just my experience...avoid "adjustable" height work benches. You won't really take advantage of adjusting the height over time...it will become cumbersome. I would suggest a work bench level for sitting...and a work bench level for standing if two levels are required. My solution was to create about 12 feet of bar height work benches for standing work...and if I wanted to sit I use a bar height stool...no need for anything adjustable. But to answer your question directly...yes...a good adjustable chair would work fine between different height work benches.

Just my experience...avoid "adjustable" height work benches. You won't really take advantage of adjusting the height over time...it will become cumbersome. I would suggest a work bench level for sitting...and a work bench level for standing if two levels are required. My solution was to create about 12 feet of bar height work benches for standing work...and if I wanted to sit I use a bar height stool...no need for anything adjustable. But to answer your question directly...yes...a good adjustable chair would work fine between different height work benches.
I actually have two "chairs" one a regular small desk type chair with limited height and lean-back which I don't adjust when used for low sit-down and close vision is needed; and the adjustable drafting stool for more work from above where I need my arms and hands down and able to function in a more stable manner than when outreached as toward a desk. Rich

In my cave each wall is set up for my 3 inside hobbies. Each work station requires a different height. My solution is a office chair with adjustable height . My computer programming station is a typical office desk height. My electronics station is very high so that I do not have to bend over to solder. The modeling station is mid way between the others. So an adjustable chair/ stool works best for me. You will find that you will be modifying the work bench as you use it. my modeling bench is a old drafting table and I will be rebuilding and remodeling it in few weeks.
Note you never can have too much light on your work bench plan ahead.

Jim

In my cave each wall is set up for my 3 inside hobbies. Each work station requires a different height. My solution is a office chair with adjustable height . My computer programming station is a typical office desk height. My electronics station is very high so that I do not have to bend over to solder. The modeling station is mid way between the others. So an adjustable chair/ stool works best for me. You will find that you will be modifying the work bench as you use it. my modeling bench is a old drafting table and I will be rebuilding and remodeling it in few weeks.
Note you never can have too much light on your work bench plan ahead.

Jim
I fully agree with the need for light with my adult macular degeneration taking away my vision in my formerly dominant eye and variable clarity problems in the other. Let there be light! Rich

This is my heavy duty solution. I used a kit like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simpson-St...x=simpson+strong+tie+workbench,aps,202&sr=8-1 where you provide your own timber, and so can build the bench to whatever width/depth/height that you want. Makes a real strong bench - mine is used for automotive projects as well as modelling and I covered the top in steel sheet. Obviously this solution is for the shed / garage rather than the spare room, but there may be smaller versions available.

I HAVE A PROBLEM PHYSICALLY I CAN NO LONGER STAND UNSUPORTED SO ALL MODELING HAS TO BE DONE SEATED LOOKING FOR ADJUSTABLE CHAIR BUT NEED IT TO GO UP TO 23 OR 24 INCHES CAN NOT FIND ONE AND THE DRAFTING STOOLS DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY WITH ARM S I KNOW THY HAVE BACKS BUT ARMS DO NOT KNOW ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

I HAVE A PROBLEM PHYSICALLY I CAN NO LONGER STAND UNSUPORTED SO ALL MODELING HAS TO BE DONE SEATED LOOKING FOR ADJUSTABLE CHAIR BUT NEED IT TO GO UP TO 23 OR 24 INCHES CAN NOT FIND ONE AND THE DRAFTING STOOLS DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY WITH ARM S I KNOW THY HAVE BACKS BUT ARMS DO NOT KNOW ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Google brought up several. U-Line was one with several selections https://www.uline.com/Grp_276/Stool...f902f424fede13ed4f3b947dbb830cb5&gclsrc=3p.ds
Rich

Back