Workspace Tidy

Having just completed my Endeavour build, I decided it was a good time to re-organise my workspace so that storage boxes and tools were more organised and more easily accessible. I always squirrel away offcuts and other salvaged timber in the garage so had a good old rummage. After a bit of planning, I built a small rack from MDF. My only purchase were magnetic strips to hold commonly used tools ...

klyall_craftroomtidy_2.jpg

In additional I wanted some storage for lengths of timber. I had some old plumbers pipe which I cut to various lengths (400mm to store 600mm strips; 300mm to store 400mm strips). I drilled out a set of bungs to plug one end of each tube and then constructed a simple frame to hold the pipes.

klyall_craftroomtidy_3.jpgklyall_craftroomtidy_4.jpg

So after a few hours pottering in the garage to complete my organiser units, I am now all ready to progress my next build ...

klyall_craftroomtidy_1.jpg

Happy New Year all and best wishes for 2024. Well that did not take long ... 3 days into my build of Endurance and my work area is already messy, although I would like to think a little less messy than before I constructed my storage.klyall_craftroomtidy_10.jpg

I try to keep my workspace clean, but it’s a continual battle. Every once in a while, I stop and put everything away. Too much junk in your primary workspace does nothing but create headaches. FYI – the first time I cleaned my workspace properly, it took me a week. I’m not going back there.

In my humble opinion there no right/wrong opinion. It just depends on your comfort level with(out) a "messy" working area. I just had a big chuckle when i saw the messy workplace pic as i could relate to it.

We all have almost the same more or less well-appointed workspaces. The important thing is to find pleasure in building our kits and making sure to get beautiful results. Here I am setting up the Amerigo Vespucci kit
Nice shop. I like how you can pivot right over to your computer where everything is clean. My next ship choice is the America Vespucci too.

I have always liked seeing how others use their workspaces. My last home was a small condo and I was relegated to a 4 foot desk. We moved to a new townhome and I thankfully have a space to myself!!
This is normally pretty messy. I tend to clean up between milestones on a build. Taking a short break before completing the whale boats on Charles W. Morgan.

20240106_155103831_iOS.jpeg

Mark

Back