Workspace Tidy

Having just completed my Endeavour build, I decided it was a good time to re-organise my workspace so that storage boxes and tools were more organised and more easily accessible. I always squirrel away offcuts and other salvaged timber in the garage so had a good old rummage. After a bit of planning, I built a small rack from MDF. My only purchase were magnetic strips to hold commonly used tools ...

View attachment 417835

In additional I wanted some storage for lengths of timber. I had some old plumbers pipe which I cut to various lengths (400mm to store 600mm strips; 300mm to store 400mm strips). I drilled out a set of bungs to plug one end of each tube and then constructed a simple frame to hold the pipes.

View attachment 417834View attachment 417833

So after a few hours pottering in the garage to complete my organiser units, I am now all ready to progress my next build ...

View attachment 417836
Nice! One my radar to clean my area but somehow it seems something else always becomes a priority.

Not sure if this will be an issue for you but can your tools become magnetized with those strips? I had a scribe with a magnetic end that was a royal pain attracting everything to it.

this is my shop.
I have a three-car garage I converted i car into a shop.
the ac sits above garage so i have vent coming in garage when house run my room get cool.
need it in Florida. I need to build a temp wall over the garage door.
the ship m is a turn of the century resonation.

thumbnail_IMG_1333.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1334.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1335.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1336.jpg

When you consider all of those who have read this thread it is obvious that work space is huge in people's minds. Organization, convenience, comfort and cleanliness are key elements. It is very much a "man cave"! Mine is modest now but I plan clean out things that are no longer used (a tread mill, weight equipment, etc.) in order to expand and make space for work and display.

Happy New Year all and best wishes for 2024. Well that did not take long ... 3 days into my build of Endurance and my work area is already messy, although I would like to think a little less messy than before I constructed my storage.View attachment 418322
Now this work space is in proper order.
a craftsman friend of mine often said that "A clean workspace is a sign of a sick mind"

Nice! One my radar to clean my area but somehow it seems something else always becomes a priority.

Not sure if this will be an issue for you but can your tools become magnetized with those strips? I had a scribe with a magnetic end that was a royal pain attracting everything to it.
I don't have any magnetic holders, but STILL my tools become magnetised, some are useful magnetised, but, yes, they can be a PITA, then I use a demagnetiser.

I have always liked seeing how others use their workspaces. My last home was a small condo and I was relegated to a 4 foot desk. We moved to a new townhome and I thankfully have a space to myself!!
This is normally pretty messy. I tend to clean up between milestones on a build. Taking a short break before completing the whale boats on Charles W. Morgan.

View attachment 419162

Mark
I like your workspace very much....do you sand in there or do you do heavy sanding outside?

I like your workspace very much....do you sand in there or do you do heavy sanding outside?
Sanding is an issue. I do some hand sanding in my room but luckily I have a small bench just outside of this room (the garage) where I have the cutting and sanding power tools.

Back