Xebec. An Amati model by Mike Dowling [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Mike,
Interesting story but I’m not sure what happened. In building this model I did exactly what you did, labeling the parts on the laser-cut sheet using the small sheet as reference. I then overlaid the parts on the corresponding numbers on the large sheet and found them to match exactly. After reading your comments I took the remains of the laser-cut sheet and tried to fit the cutouts to your “new” assignments without success. Hoe did you conclude there was an error?
-S

I think I did admit that it just might have been my mistake, (unlikely but maybe!!) but, by the time I discovered it, it was too late. I just have to try and make a reasonable job of it such are the joys of model building.

Important thing is that you caught the mistake and found a solution you are ok with. Way to work through it!

Looks good to me so far, I'm enjoying your log.

Glenn

The second planking is complete. I really struggled with this as the walnut for it was 1mm thick and I have never used quite such thickness before. Anyway she is planked and sanded. Not as smooth as a babies bottom but I am sure there are not any real boats out there that have no slight irregularities! There are now three half round strips to go on the sides and gun ports cut between them. I have been puzzling as to how is the best way to do this. If I draw marker lines on the hull it will be very difficult to remove them afterwards and the position of the gun ports is quite critical. How shall I do it ? Watch this space!!DSCN2982.JPGDSCN2983.JPGDSCN2984.JPG

After a lot of deliberation the three wales on each side are on following some very careful measurement. The middle one was an absolute pig as it refused to stick but I won in the end!! The cannon ports and oar holes also carefully measured and cut. In the end I sort of followed the instructions by drilling progressive holes bigger and bigger and finished of the a half round file. There are decorative trims to go on the outside around the ports which should hide and paint bleeding or slight fraying of the wood. Some pictures of the progress thus far.

DSCN2985.JPGDSCN2986.JPGDSCN2987.JPGDSCN2988.JPGDSCN2989.JPG

Waterline marked and the base of the hull subsequently painted. Despite the mess up with the bulkheads I really don't think it looks too bad. I have put the fancy bits round the gun ports but I might 'bling' them up a bit with some gold paint. They look a lot duller in real life than they do on the photos. Also started to paint the upper rear pale blue.

DSCN2991.JPGDSCN2990.JPGDSCN2993.JPG

I hate doing rudders. Having said that we now have one! I would have liked to get it a bit tighter onto the stern but if I had pushed any harder the little 4 part hinges would have broken. We also have a tiller, blingy sides on top of the rear bulwarks and a front part that I don't know the proper term for so front part it is!

DSCN2994.JPGDSCN2995.JPGDSCN2996.JPGDSCN2997.JPG

I discover that the measurement tolerances on this vessel are very small as you will see. There seem to be two schools of thought about the hatch covers. Some say they should be flush with the deck whilst others and the instructions say they should be raised. I decided to follow the instructions. I cut out all the little gratings some of which fell apart and then surrounded them with 2x1mm covings as instructed. The cannons sit between the hatch covers but were now too wide. So I had to sand down the sides of the covers as much as I could and file the axles off the back wheels of the cannons which just allowed room. If I had left the covings off and placed the gratings straight into the deck flush, this would not have been a problem. Take note future builders of this boat! Sorry about the quality of the pictures.

DSCN3002.JPGDSCN3003.JPGDSCN3004.JPG

This is looking really nice, and the issue with the hull isn't noticeable in the photos. So only you will know.

Cannons glued on and no, before you ask, I am not clever enough to rig them all. Whenever I have tried the rigging ropes always look a mess and far to big for the guns. I also decided not to paint them black as I rather like the finish on them already. Also added belaying pins, cleats and anchor tie posts and posts for the baby cannons at the stern. (Can't remember what they are called!)
The mast are also prepared now ready to go on.DSCN3011.JPGDSCN3012.JPGDSCN3013.JPGDSCN3015.JPG

Back