Young America 1853 1:72

Dear @Ornholt,
Given the size of your shipyard begs the question, what will be the eventual size of your model and in what scale will it be in?
The scale is 1:72 according the topic header
Your base yard is looking very good - you are well prepared for this amazing model
Will you rig this clipper model? I think a real additional challenge .....

The scale is 1:72 according the topic header
Your base yard is looking very good - you are well prepared for this amazing model
Will you rig this clipper model? I think a real additional challenge .....
The whole building of the ship is a challenge and the rigging is a really big challenge. Have not yet decided to what extent I will rig the ship. That decision must develop over time.

The whole building of the ship is a challenge and the rigging is a really big challenge. Have not yet decided to what extent I will rig the ship. That decision must develop over time.
You will have a lot of time for the decision - it is project for some years ......

I can relate.
I did furniture restoration in my basement with an assortment of apprentices and helpers for forty or more years. Then models. The body and soul part is exactly right. Actually for all of it. Talk about living under a lucky star!

Pete :cool:
Yes, I completely agree with you. It is from experience that I can say that body and soul are connected, are one.

Again I can relate. after carrying around the Model Shipways 1:192 scale Young America for fifty years, starting it in 2005, and finishing it eight years later, I decided not to spend another 2-3 years trying to rig it at that tiny scale, finished it "dockyard style", declared victory and moved on. It doesn't look like the Ed Tosti version, but close enough. The books came out only after I was nearly done! Even at 1/16th of an inch to the foot, and a carved hull, it was still a monster project, taking almost a lifetime to create. It's on the finished models forum.
I agree ( with the exceptions of the P-51 Mustang, and the "King James Bible") nothing good ever got done in a hurry ( or, with the same exceptions) by a committee either.;)
I look forward to following your progress on one of my all-time favorite ships with the utmost patience and interest!
Pete

I want to try making a frame according to how Tosti does in his book before I start with the keel. Saws out the details first, then carefully sands the short sides. Drills holes used to guide the parts together. Then the parts must be glued together and sanded on the outside and inside. Not the easiest way to make frames, but there is a chance that the result will be carefully made with great dimensional accuracy. The pictures give an idea of how it is done.20230709_181732.jpg20230709_185801.jpg20230709_185812.jpg

Interesting way....
Are the pins in the drilled holes the guides to have both sides of the double frame in correct place?

Yes, the pin goes through both details in the frame and in the drawing against which the frame is built. I will show clearer pictures when I glue the frame. Tosti then uses the holes to simulate where steel bolts sat on the original. He used black fishing line for it. Not sure if I want any nylon wire in this ship, but using brass wire.

Trying to glue together the first frame according to Tosti's method. This is not an easy method. The holes used to guide the parts together must sit exactly right, otherwise it is not possible to guide the parts together without tension. But here it is anyway, the first glued frame. The first of 50 stants plus a number of split spars in fore and aft. Time for a beer.20230710_110002.jpg20230710_143737.jpg

Interesting method - and you use the pins not only as a guide, but also to press down the two halfs together .....
Does the Young America have also triple frames?

Interesting method - and you use the pins not only as a guide, but also to press down the two halfs together .....
Does the Young America have also triple frames?
The pins are also used to clamp the parts together during gluing when I "nail" them to the build plate. All frames are double frames, no triple frames.

Great start! A lot of framing with a lot of joints to do. I see you have seen Young America by EdT in Modelshipworld.com, Ed also has a book on the build and a set of plans you might find useful. But you must already have. I loved EdT build and i am sure yours will be just as great!

Last edited:
Great start! A lot of framing with a lot of joints to do. I see you have seen Young America by EdT in Modelshipworld.com, Ed also has a book on the build and a set of plans you might find useful. But you must already have. I loved EdT build and i am sure yours will be just as great!
I have seen this and I have all three books by Tosti. The fact that I chose to build this ship is partly due to Tosti's superb drawings and explanations about the construction.

Do you have to redo the joint? Or is there a wedge to fill the gap in the center of the joint?

Back